Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$20 Extended warranty question

I am currently shopping and waiting for a good deal on a K-30 with the 18-135mm lens as a bundle. At least, that is what I think I have finally decided upon as of today. Anyway, while I wait for the perfect price, can I go ahead and purchase the 2 year extended warranty from Adorama before I purchase the camera? It looks like B&H is out of stock and I would hate to miss this great deal. It seems like I should be able to but I figured I would ask and see if anyone has any first hand knowledge of this. Thanks

12-04-2012, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
I am currently shopping and waiting for a good deal on a K-30 with the 18-135mm lens as a bundle. At least, that is what I think I have finally decided upon as of today. Anyway, while I wait for the perfect price, can I go ahead and purchase the 2 year extended warranty from Adorama before I purchase the camera? It looks like B&H is out of stock and I would hate to miss this great deal. It seems like I should be able to but I figured I would ask and see if anyone has any first hand knowledge of this. Thanks
You can buy it wherever as long as you purchase it within 90 days of your camera purchase.

If you're talking about this warranty:
Pentax 2 Years Extended Warranty for K5 / K30 / K01 / K series DSLR 80227

Then yes, it'll be valid even for your B&H purchase. In the mean time, I'll see if B&H can't enable back-ordering for the warranty. Technically, as long as you place an order within the 90 days, it won't matter when you receive it. Hope this helps!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. Is this warranty something that will be of limited availability or could I expect it to be around for a while? Since I have only been doing my homework and researching my camera purchase for the last several weeks, I just haven't seen the history of this type of warranty and if it comes and goes or is always available from a given retailer.
12-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It always seems available from one of the big two.

12-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup- I e-mailed B&H and it's back in stock now.

Pentax Two-Year Extended Warranty for the K5, K5-II, 80227 B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Saw that last night actually. Thanks Adam and froogy. Now I just need to sack up and make the purchase. So hard with the potential of after Christmas sales coming up soon.
12-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought my camera just over two months ago from a local store here in Vancouver, so I'm over 60 days of ownership, but under 90. After some paranoia about a defective seal, I decided to see if I can grab an extended warranty from somewhere. The store I bought it from said that I can still get it through them, but it would cost me around $150.

Is there some other official Pentax channel that I can get an extended warranty for cheaper than $150?

12-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I bought my camera just over two months ago from a local store here in Vancouver, so I'm over 60 days of ownership, but under 90. After some paranoia about a defective seal, I decided to see if I can grab an extended warranty from somewhere. The store I bought it from said that I can still get it through them, but it would cost me around $150.

Is there some other official Pentax channel that I can get an extended warranty for cheaper than $150?
Unfortunately, in this case, you are in Canada. The 2 year extended warranty is for the US only. You have a 2 year warranty from Pentax in Canada to start with, which is better by 2x than our standard warranty here in the States. Any additional warranty for you would be through a 3rd party.
12-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Unfortunately, in this case, you are in Canada. The 2 year extended warranty is for the US only. You have a 2 year warranty from Pentax in Canada to start with, which is better by 2x than our standard warranty here in the States. Any additional warranty for you would be through a 3rd party.
Ooh, I didn't know I had a 2 year standard warranty. That just might be good enough. I'll double check the details.
12-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ooh, I didn't know I had a 2 year standard warranty. That just might be good enough. I'll double check the details.
I have two boxes for Pentax gear that were originally sold in Canada (both are modern lenses) and each has a gold foilesque star on it that says 2-Year Warranty Eh.
12-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The Canadian warranty is standard 2 years if you look at the box it came in there should be a gold sticker with black letters that states 2 years standard warranty this has been the case since I can remember. I know my Km had the 2 years which I luckily never had to take advantage of. If you buy an extended one it will probably be a 3rd party one. Ie henrys extended warranty. Which I dont suggest buying when I had my dad pick up my k30 they lied and tried to get him to buy the extended one. (He doesnt speak good English) they told him the warranty was only 1 year even though it says 2 years on the box. And yes the camera was brand new not a refurbished one.
12-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Just checked my box and papers.

It's a 1 year warranty (worldwide) + an additional 1 year warranty if

- Purchased in Canada
- In possession of original purchaser
- Proof of purchase (original bill of sale)

So that's good enough for me. By the time 2 years is up, I'll have upgraded to whatever new camera Pentax has released.