Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K30 Exposure Problem

I've had the K30 from August and first experienced this issue within a month or so and it has continued through today. The shutter sometimes fires much faster than the setting indicates. I'll have one exposure at the proper setting and the next exposure will result in a photo that is completely or almost completely black, yet the exif indicates the proper settings. This happens most often with the camera set to the timer function but can happen any time. Has anyone else had this problem?

12-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I haven't experienced this but I have experienced several other misbehavior that I suspect are very much related to low battery power. I use AA batteries.

It's just an idea that might be worth looking into.
12-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks fore the suggestion, but it definitely is not a battery problem.
12-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What lens are you using? Has it happened with multiple lenses? If not, then the aperture mechanism could be to blame.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
That's a good point, Adam. I will monitor that.
05-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #6

I went on vacation and I encountered this problem several times. I noticed it seemd to be prominent when I use long exposures, (sometimes its noticable in live view), and when i point the camera at the ground.
06-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #7

I started having the similar problem a couple of weeks ago in my K30. During testing with exposure set to manual, fixed ISO, bracketing off, matrix metering and taking a picture of exactly the same scene: one image about 3 stops under exposed, one about 1 stop under and one that is spot on. Not quite random because the under exposure it is much more likely to happen with a single image and the first image of a sequence. It can nail 10 images and then mess up 3 or vice versa. This has happened with every lens I tried after it initially started. For me the exposure times ISo and other factors did not seem to matter.

06-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've never seen this on my K-30. It sounds like something sticking in the body.
07-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #9

I have a similar problem. I have owned my k30 since November 2012. Recently I started having problems as described above. Using auto focus and and some mode of auto exposure (whether that be in AV, P, Auto, etc.). I can take the exact same picture with same settings yet one image will be exposed correctly but the other 2-3 stops underexposed. However the exif info shows the same exposure settings for both. I thought it may be my lens but it happens with other lenses too. I am using the latest firmware and it's not a battery issue. I just don't know what's happening, but apparently others are experiencing it, too. I am going to send my camera to AZ (Pentax service shop) to get checked and I will update this post.

Last edited by tdddxn; 07-12-2013 at 04:48 PM.
11-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tdddxn Quote
I have a similar problem. I have owned my k30 since November 2012. Recently I started having problems as described above. Using auto focus and and some mode of auto exposure (whether that be in AV, P, Auto, etc.). I can take the exact same picture with same settings yet one image will be exposed correctly but the other 2-3 stops underexposed. However the exif info shows the same exposure settings for both. I thought it may be my lens but it happens with other lenses too. I am using the latest firmware and it's not a battery issue. I just don't know what's happening, but apparently others are experiencing it, too. I am going to send my camera to AZ (Pentax service shop) to get checked and I will update this post.
Hi
I am a long tour abroad and I experience the same issue . So it hard for me to approach pentax service centre

Was the root cause found? What was the fix?

Thanks.
11-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster

I don't know the root cause but for me the problem is manifest in all lenses. My work around is to always shoot in full manual mode and that includes taking the lens to manual mode (off the "A" setting). With a manual aperture setting the exposures are consistent, as one would expect. When the lens is on the "A" setting some glitch in the camera (firmware?) sends an improper aperture setting about 6 times in 10. This was extremely frustrating and I had quit using the camera until I happened to wonder whether a manual aperture setting would make a difference. It is unfortunate because it compromises the majority of the camera settings (P function, shutter priority, PTTL flash and so on) and because some Pentax lenses do not have a manual aperture ring and cannot be used. Also, you lose that data point in your EXIF. Nevertheless, I've been able to make it work and it is still my primary camera for wedding gigs, at least until my K-3 gets here.
11-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I recall reading of similar symptoms on a older different brand camera. If i recall correctly in that case it was determined to be a leaky micro capacitor.
11-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheBlindHog Quote

I don't know the root cause but for me the problem is manifest in all lenses. My work around is to always shoot in full manual mode and that includes taking the lens to manual mode (off the "A" setting). With a manual aperture setting the exposures are consistent, as one would expect. When the lens is on the "A" setting some glitch in the camera (firmware?) sends an improper aperture setting about 6 times in 10. This was extremely frustrating and I had quit using the camera until I happened to wonder whether a manual aperture setting would make a difference. It is unfortunate because it compromises the majority of the camera settings (P function, shutter priority, PTTL flash and so on) and because some Pentax lenses do not have a manual aperture ring and cannot be used. Also, you lose that data point in your EXIF. Nevertheless, I've been able to make it work and it is still my primary camera for wedding gigs, at least until my K-3 gets here.
Am I understanding this correctly? You have not tried it with any lens lacking an aperture ring?
11-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
Hi

Not using A setting and using only old lenses is somewhat problematic to me, As it really compromises almost all cumera functions, specially those I need on my trip.
Regarding bypasses it seems that when I start experience the problem I can allways take 2 exposures when the second one is obsolutely fine. In addition after few hours of shooting the problems disappears . Just to be back again after a week or so

What do you think ?
Appreciate your ideas .