Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #1

'Ting' sound when i press shutter

Does anyone else here a 'ting' type sound when they press the shutter on their K30? Its very annoying! Its a high pitched sound that i can only attribute to the shutter or mirror reverberating inside the body. Ill have to go to my local camera store and try the display model to see if its common to the K30 or just mine.

12-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
Does anyone else here a 'ting' type sound when they press the shutter on their K30? Its very annoying! Its a high pitched sound that i can only attribute to the shutter or mirror reverberating inside the body. Ill have to go to my local camera store and try the display model to see if its common to the K30 or just mine.
Not sure if that's how I would describe it, but you can hear the SR mechanism resetting after every shot. If you don't think that's what it is, then it might not be a normal sound.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Back in the 1960s I went from a Pentax H1a to Canon FT. Overall a very nice system, but there was a musical "ping" after each shot that made it seem cheap. It always bothered me, and is the reason I went on to other cameras. These little things bother some people and not others; and some don't care until these things are pointed out - then it drives them crazy. Here's hoping your post doesn't make a lot of K30 owners dis-satisfied!
12-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not sure if that's how I would describe it, but you can hear the SR mechanism resetting after every shot. If you don't think that's what it is, then it might not be a normal sound.
Hi Adam, thanks for the reply. Its really odd. After the clank of the shutter taking the picture, you can hear a reverberating sound, much like the sound trailing off after tapping the side of a glass with a spoon. Im a bit worried about it as it certainly doesnt sound right. I'll go to a store tomorrow and see if the display models make the same noise.

12-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Overall a very nice system, but there was a musical "ping" after each shot that made it seem cheap. It always bothered me, and is the reason I went on to other cameras. These little things bother some people and not others; and some don't care until these things are pointed out - then it drives them crazy. Here's hoping your post doesn't make a lot of K30 owners dis-satisfied!
Yes, I know it shouldnt bother me but it does! Its funny you say that as my first reaction was that it feels like a cheaper build quality because of this sound. I certainly dont want to dissatisfy any K30 owners as the K30 really is a fantastic camera. I couldnt be happier with the image results and features, but this little niggle is annoying me. It could just be my camera.
12-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My 2 cents:
How about listening to music in headphones while taking pictures? No camera manufacturer receives any bonus points for designing a camera with a precise shutter sound. Or maybe Leica, those guys care about everything. But it's beyond a camera's purpose. Honestly I don't think your copy is broken, every shutter has its own sound, but I stand to be corrected.
12-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Have you tried with a different lens, or perhaps even just without any lens attached? It could be the diaphragm in the lens that is making that sound.

I have a K-30 and I don;t hear anything similar to what you describe.
12-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I have a K-30 and I don;t hear anything similar to what you describe.
Can't say I do either... but then again, I've spent a wee bit too much time around big turboprop engines...

12-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #9

Original Poster
So i went to my local store and tried the display model and could hear the same sound. There was also a Pentax rep instore with his own camera (K30) and his made the noise too. Its a 'Ka-tiing' sound after pressing the shutter. Granted, we had to put our ears right up next to the back of the camera to hear it due to the noise in the store, and its not noticeable when outdoors, but its there.

Im not as bothered by it anymore because im very pleased with the cameras image quality and feature set. I accept that they had to make allowances to offer such a feature packed camera at that price point.