Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
metering with green button

I get varying results when metering with the green button depending on whether the eyepiece is covered or not. Obviously light entering the eyepiece is altering the meter. Neither covered or uncovered seem to necessarily give an accurate result.Is there a correct procedure ?

12-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Try switching into Live View and then doing the green button for metering. I've discovered this works well for me when using M42 and M series lenses.
12-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Try switching into Live View
Isn't that effectively acknowledging that manual metering with the pentaprism system doesn't work. I suspect pentax intends us to have our eyes covering the viewfinder when metering. That is fine for auto function but with the placement of the green button and my banana fingers that is not an option.
12-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
I've only just got my new K30 and used it yesterday with my SMC-M50 f1.7 for the first time. I had no problems with extra light entering by the viewfinder and upsetting the metering.

Here's an example

12-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My K7 came with a little viewfinder cover to block the light entering. This is the traditional way when shooting on a tripod with cable release or remote when your own body is away from the camera. A bit fiddly, but effective I guess.
12-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
My K7 came with a little viewfinder cover to block the light entering. This is the traditional way when shooting on a tripod with cable release or remote when your own body is away from the camera. A bit fiddly, but effective I guess.
Yes I am now taking it that they intended for it to be covered and I use my thumb to cover it when metering , but I havn't been getting very consistent results and think now that it may be the various lens at fault. Isn't it a shame the camera doesn't have an incidence reading option for manual operation. I must get around to getting a grey lenscap for that purpose.
12-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The rubber eyepiece cap is a good idea as you can maintain 'hands free' shooting if using the remote, probably the best way to go for the most steady shot on a tripod.

The old lenses can be a bit variable with stop down metering, although I believe that each individual lens should behave consistently at each particular f stop. On my K7 I set digital preview active, use the green button to stop down and set the shutter speed, then check the histogram.

Doing this in M mode allows you to quickly adjust the exposure with the shutter speed based on what the histogram has told you. Usually it might be half or 1 stop you might want to adjust. Its not very convenient if the light levels are changing, but once you have done it a few times it gets quicker.