Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Interval shooting problem

I am unable to establish interval shooting on the K30. I also own the K5 and it works properly using the same menu process I am using with the K30.

The problem: After establishing the number of shots and the time between exposures, while on "Manual" program mode, and returning to the top of the menu to "Start Shooting" I press the OK button and it takes me to the main menu (as if I had pushed the Menu button) rather than to the screen that says "Press the shutter button to begin interval shooting" as does the K5.

The OK button works properly for all other portions of this menu; i.e., when I am making options in the "number of shots" "start interval" "start time" menus. But when I am at "start shooting" it kicks me back to the main menu instead of to the "press shutter button" notification.

12-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There is another thread exploring the same problem. Look here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/205904-interval-shooting.html

I also have the same problem but not always. Most of the time it works perfectly. I am trying to work out the parameters that can keep it from working. Good luck.
12-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Not quite the same issue

VE2CJW,

I visited the other thread. My issue is not the same. They are able to initiate interval shooting and their problem begins after that. I am not able to initiate shooting because I keep getting kicked out to the main menu when I hit the "OK" button.

As for the issue on the other thread, I had the same problem until I discovered that the interval between shots needs to be longer than the time to write one file to the card. If NR is used, that interval is equal to the time of exposure plus the write time. Otherwise, it is essential to allow write time, otherwise the buffer fills up and interval shooting cannot proceed. In my experience, if I turn off NR, keep my shots to 20 seconds and then allow on minute between exposures, I can shoot as many shots as I need, even with RAW+ setting.

I suspect the interval time begins at the front end of the exposure instead of the end. For instance, if you have an interval of 5 seconds and an exposure of 20 seconds, the next shot begins as soon as the first shot ends. Try it yourself - set your interval at 5 seconds and your exposure at 10 seconds. The second shot will initiate as soon as the first one completes. At that rate, it won't take long to fill your buffera s the camera is constantly trying to write files and make exposures at the same time. Turn off NR. Calcualte your exposure time. Allow five additional seconds for a write time. Now set your interval using this formula: Exposure time + write time = interval time. Most of my night shots are at 20 seconds but I like to wear a belt and suspenders, so I set my interval to 55 seconds. Works like a champ and it will for you, too.
12-16-2012, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheBlindHog Quote
I am unable to establish interval shooting on the K30. I also own the K5 and it works properly using the same menu process I am using with the K30.

The problem: After establishing the number of shots and the time between exposures, while on "Manual" program mode, and returning to the top of the menu to "Start Shooting" I press the OK button and it takes me to the main menu (as if I had pushed the Menu button) rather than to the screen that says "Press the shutter button to begin interval shooting" as does the K5.

The OK button works properly for all other portions of this menu; i.e., when I am making options in the "number of shots" "start interval" "start time" menus. But when I am at "start shooting" it kicks me back to the main menu instead of to the "press shutter button" notification.
After hitting 'OK' to get to the main menu, press the shutter button half way to activate AF and then fully to start the sequence. I know it's a bit ambiguous in the camera menu system but the manual fills in those blanks.

12-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Eureka!

IchabodCrane - thank you so much! I don't have access to my manual and this has been driving me nuts - and cost me big time on a photo shoot. I can't understand why Pentax made this so drastically different from the K5 but I am very happy to learn the new method.

Mitch