Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #1

new owner of k-30 question on packaging

I received my camera yesterday that I ordered online. The shipping box was taped, but the k-30 box itself was not sealed with tape where you open up the box and everything looked brand new. The camera was in wrapping in it's compartment and another compartment for the lense, but none of these were taped or anything like I am used to seeing on most electronics.

Also I i turned on the dust cleaner option to go on when it's turned on and turned off, is it normal to feel a little vibration in the camera?

Is this normal packaging for pentax products? Is there a way to check if the camera is brand new and if it has been taken any photos prior?

Thanks.

12-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can check shutter count. I don't know if this is possible to re-set. I also don't remember whether my K5 bags were sealed in any fashion.
That vibration is normal, it's the sensor shaking to remove possible dust.
12-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
I checked all the menus and from what I can see, I can't find anything on the shutter count viewing, where is that usually at?

Did your camera box have some type of safety break seal on the party where you open up the box?
12-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eripey Quote
Also I i turned on the dust cleaner option to go on when it's turned on and turned off, is it normal to feel a little vibration in the camera?
Yup, because the K-30 doesn't have the ultrasonic DR.

I received my camera yesterday that I ordered online. The shipping box was taped, but the k-30 box itself was not sealed with tape where you open up the box and everything looked brand new. The camera was in wrapping in it's compartment and another compartment for the lense, but none of these were taped or anything like I am used to seeing on most electronics.
This is normal; normally the Pentax box itself isn't sealed with any stickers, etc.

You can check shutter count here:
Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #5

Original Poster
Adam, Thanks for the info, I will check out the shutter count when I get home!
12-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
What is the best practice to use, have the dust cleaner both off and on, or when it's turned off or only on? My old Nikon automatically did it when it was always turned off and didn't vibrate either. I have to say, it's a lot different feel and a little heavier, but I mainly got this to shoot in the rain. I live in Northwest

I also been reading the water resistant thread, it's pretty interesting on what peoples views are on the "WR".
12-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
So what I did was upload the last photo taken and that should be the correct shutter count, correct?

12-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So what I did was upload the last photo taken and that should be the correct shutter count, correct?
yep. that's all there is to it.
12-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #9

The box my K30 came in wasnt sealed either. I thought it was strange.
12-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My K-30 also arrived in an unsealed box, but the seller (on eBay) had told me about it. Before sending the camera she informed me that the k-30 was out of stock except for one they had in an opened box. After assurances that it had only been out of the box briefly and never used I accepted it and was also offered a small discount. When I received it everything was packed properly and seemed untouched. Only the camera had ever been out of the box and just spent a few days in a glass display showcase, or so I was told.

If the K-30 was not originally in a sealed box then I don't think she would have felt the need to tell me in advance the the one I was buying would not be, and then give me a discount because of that.

Here's a picture of the box and the broken seal (with apologies for the poor quality )

Other than the broken seal seen in the picture everything was fine inside. Most of the small plastic bags inside do not appear to have ever been sealed in any way. The only one that was 'sealed' was the battery, but the seal was just a bit of transparent tape.
12-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #11

Mine didnt have a security seal at all! Dubious...
12-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From what I remember, neither my k-30 or k-01 were sealed. I think i have heard (maybe wrongly) that DSLRs are not sealed so people and salesmen can try them out before buying to check things out on them. This topic does seem to come up everytime there's new bodies coming out or new people to pentax.
12-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My K-5 came without any seal stickers. However it looked and felt brand new and that's all it matters.