Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #16

Have a look at this.
I have two 285 flash units, started way back in 2006 on my K100d, then K20d and now K5.
the last one bought new of Amazon April 2012.
No problems whatsoever.

01-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by doerrs Quote
I sent SIGMA some photos with exposure leaving a lot to be desired. They claim camera should work if you do the following:.
Since this is a more specific topic than this thread, but I'd really like to discuss it further, I've moved it into its own thread here.
08-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd recommend something like the metz 50. It gives you tilt & swivel capabilities without being too expensive!
I am also looking into purchasing an external flash for my K-30. My main priority for now is to be able to do fill-in flash for shadows on portraits/people photography and using a shutter speed above 1/180. Will Metz 50 af-1 and Pentax af 360fgz both give me that option? I guess it is called high speed sync, HHS, but will it work in P-TTL mode? I want to be able to use larger apertures, to get shallow dept of field, on a bright clear/sunny day. I am also leaning towards buying a YN 560 iii/ii and take time to learn using manual flashes (it will give me more option in the future to try strobe work and buying 2 manual flashes and accessories for the same money as one PTTL)

So my question is: Can I use any of these-- YN 560iii / Metz 50 af-1 / Pentax AF 360 for HSS (shutter speeds higher than 1/180) --say taking a picture with settings like ISO 100, 1/2000, F2.8 and using a fill in flash?

Thank you!
08-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by black-kx Quote
I am also looking into purchasing an external flash for my K-30. My main priority for now is to be able to do fill-in flash for shadows on portraits/people photography and using a shutter speed above 1/180. Will Metz 50 af-1 and Pentax af 360fgz both give me that option? I guess it is called high speed sync, HHS, but will it work in P-TTL mode? I want to be able to use larger apertures, to get shallow dept of field, on a bright clear/sunny day. I am also leaning towards buying a YN 560 iii/ii and take time to learn using manual flashes (it will give me more option in the future to try strobe work and buying 2 manual flashes and accessories for the same money as one PTTL)

So my question is: Can I use any of these-- YN 560iii / Metz 50 af-1 / Pentax AF 360 for HSS (shutter speeds higher than 1/180) --say taking a picture with settings like ISO 100, 1/2000, F2.8 and using a fill in flash?

Thank you!
I have the Metz 52AF-1 and it works fine in HSS in P-TTL mode.

08-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
I have the Metz 52AF-1 and it works fine in HSS in P-TTL mode.
Thank you bcorson. So it can be used in semi auto mode, like Av mode, you would set aperture value and the camera would chose shutter speed/ISO and the flash would automatically fire with correct amount of power, Right?
08-11-2013, 03:55 AM   #21

Thank you bcorson. So it can be used in semi auto mode, like Av mode, you would set aperture value and the camera would chose shutter speed/ISO and the flash would automatically fire with correct amount of power, Right?
To be honest I can't remember which modes I used when in HSS. Probably Av or S or maybe P depending upon the situation. For regular flash work I almost always use P mode as that seems to get the most consistent results. As you may know Pentax works strangely with flash (search forum for threads on this) and can give erratic results especially when the flash is primary light source and I have found for indoor flash I get most consistent results in P mode and that applies as much to the on board flash as the Metz. With the Metz I almost always use bounce or have an omni flash cover on to give softer light so when bouncing etc I generally make a manual adjustment to flash output to get the exposure I want. It is a one time adjustment that works for the particular setting. When I have "set-up" time I will use Av or even Tav or manual and make adjustments to flash/camera to get the results I want. I just find with Pentax I have to work a little harder to get the right exposures in anything but P mode . . .and again that applies more to when the flash is the primary light source not when I am using it in fill mode as that and the Metz in HSS have worked well for me.
08-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I can vouch that the Sigm EF 610 DOES work just fine with the K-30 (i have both ) In fact, the bounce flash also, unlike with the K-5 :/
08-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I can vouch that the Sigm EF 610 DOES work just fine with the K-30 (i have both ) In fact, the bounce flash also, unlike with the K-5 :/
So is Metz 50 af-1 has pretty much same specs as Sigma EF 610 Super ??? (Metz is only $5 more on Amazon)

08-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
To be honest I can't remember which modes I used when in HSS. Probably Av or S or maybe P depending upon the situation. For regular flash work I almost always use P mode as that seems to get the most consistent results. As you may know Pentax works strangely with flash (search forum for threads on this) and can give erratic results especially when the flash is primary light source and I have found for indoor flash I get most consistent results in P mode and that applies as much to the on board flash as the Metz. With the Metz I almost always use bounce or have an omni flash cover on to give softer light so when bouncing etc I generally make a manual adjustment to flash output to get the exposure I want. It is a one time adjustment that works for the particular setting. When I have "set-up" time I will use Av or even Tav or manual and make adjustments to flash/camera to get the results I want. I just find with Pentax I have to work a little harder to get the right exposures in anything but P mode . . .and again that applies more to when the flash is the primary light source not when I am using it in fill mode as that and the Metz in HSS have worked well for me.
Thank you! A lot of good information, especially that Pentax P TTL is not very consistent. I am leaning towards a manual flash like YN 560ii with "Yongnuo RF-603 Single 2.4GHz Wireless Flash Trigger/Wireless Shutter Release Tranceiver for Nikon Camera" - can anyone help me with what other accessories I would need to use off camera and trigger it with K-30? Thanks!
08-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by doerrs Quote
Here is the (very quick response from Metz on their 50-AF1:

"Basically the mentioned flash unit mecablitz 50 AF-1 digital for Pentax also can be used together with the Pentax K-30. However, in this case the flash unit has to be loaded with the current firmware version 3.0. But please note that this firmware doesn’t enable the HSS-flash-mode at the moment. However, we plan a new firmware for the flash unit mecablitz 50 AF-1 digital for Pentax by which the problem will be resolved. Unfortunately I can't give you a deadline for this new firmware at the moment but I will inform you as soon as this firmware is available."
Is this the very reason why I often encounter underexposure encounters with our K-30? The first shot was correct but the succeeding frames are all dark.

Is there a link on how to update the firmware of this flash? Thank you
08-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Is this the very reason why I often encounter underexposure encounters with our K-30? The first shot was correct but the succeeding frames are all dark.

Only Sigma can update the firmware.

To anyone having trouble with flash exposure, try shooting with fixed ISO. P-TTL and auto ISO don't mix well.
08-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Only Sigma can update the firmware.

To anyone having trouble with flash exposure, try shooting with fixed ISO. P-TTL and auto ISO don't mix well.
So HSS does not work on K-30 with Metz 50-af1? But works with Sigma EF 610 super...
08-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote

The succeeding shots being dark may have more to do with how fast you are shooting versus the recovery time of the flash and yes there are instructions on the Metz website on how to update.
08-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #29
Pentaxian

So HSS does not work on K-30 with Metz 50-af1? But works with Sigma EF 610 super...
I don't know anything about Metz. I know the EF 610 Super has HSS and the EF 610 ST does not. The ST also does not support off-camera flash, so not worth the savings vs. the Super, IMO.