Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Unregistered User

K30 in the rain with a regular lens

I have never owned one of those WR lenses and as far as I can see, the rear part of the WR lens has
no coating which would set it apart from non-WR lenses.

I have some cheap DAL lenses, which I would not mind using during rainy days. Even if they are damaged
by water, the economic loss would be insignificant.

So, my question is: can the K30 be used with a non-WR lens in the rain or is a WR lens an absolute
necessity with a view to protecting the camera body itself?

Dom

12-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure that if you use a non-WR lens, the water would be able to get through it and into the camera near the lens opening.

If I were you, I wouldn't try it...
12-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Without a WR lens (or a da*) water can get into the camera through the lens openings. So to answer your question: no. But remember that WR is just water resistant not water proof.

My only WR is the DFA 100WR and it has a red gasket at the camera mount to prevent leakage in that area.

I have shot in the rain and snow with a k-x and Takumar lenses, neither of which are WR and with due precaution it has worked well. Even with a full WR kit (k-30 and WR lenses) I would not be standing out in a downpour.

I would have no problem using a DAL lens in the rain provided I protected it properly, which means keeping it under my rain coat when not in use, wearing a wide brimmed hat to keep as much off as possible and carrying a towel to wipe things dry. It is also very important to dry your gear properly when you get back in. Spend some time to warm everything up and wipe it all down, inspect everywhere to make sure you have it all dry.
12-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Without a WR lens (or a da*)
Would you say that a DA with SP coating will repel water as well as a WR lens?

12-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
I have never owned one of those WR lenses and as far as I can see, the rear part of the WR lens has

Dom
WR seal (In Red):

12-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter

No, its how they are sealed (internally and to the camera mount).
12-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No, SP coating is to protect the front element only. If you want proper weather sealing, you will need to get a WR lens.

What you can do, though, is get a rain sleeve like this and then use any lens: OP/TECH USA 18" Rainsleeve (Set of 2) 9001132 B&H Photo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SP is a lens element coating, has nothing to do with sealing the lens AFAIK.

Edit: +1 to what Adam said.
12-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No, SP coating is to protect the front element only. If you want proper weather sealing, you will need to get a WR lens.

What you can do, though, is get a rain sleeve like this and then use any lens: OP/TECH USA 18" Rainsleeve (Set of 2) 9001132 B&H Photo
I just got something similar. But I must add that I have used my K-r with a regular lens in mild rain; there never was
a problem.

D
12-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have some cheap DAL lenses, which I would not mind using during rainy days. Even if they are damaged
by water, the economic loss would be insignificant.

So, my question is: can the K30 be used with a non-WR lens in the rain or is a WR lens an absolute
necessity with a view to protecting the camera body itself?

Dom
Just get a cheap camera condom. Here's one:

OP/TECH USA 18" Rainsleeve (Set of 2) 9001132 B&H Photo