Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K30 is The Real Deal...

I see alot of threads where people are wondering if they should pull the trigger and buy this camera, and I wanted to add this thread to help answer some of their questions. I say yes, buy, you won't regret it.

I've only had mine a couple of days, but I can compare it to the Kx and Kr, and I feel I can safely say I'm more than impressed with the K30 and how it handles. I know there are others here, much more experienced photographers, that have had it much longer and can sing it's praises much better than I can.

Mine has awesome focus in all modes and lighting. Focus peaking is unreal. In live mode with Focus Peaking you can still zoom to get exact focus....especially helpful in low light with manual lenses.

I still have to learn this camera, but wanted to share my more than positive experience with this camera. Image quality is amazing, and Focus Peaking is killer.

01-01-2013, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dean31 Quote
I see alot of threads where people are wondering if they should pull the trigger and buy this camera, and I wanted to add this thread to help answer some of their questions. I say yes, buy, you won't regret it.

I've only had mine a couple of days, but I can compare it to the Kx and Kr, and I feel I can safely say I'm more than impressed with the K30 and how it handles. I know there are others here, much more experienced photographers, that have had it much longer and can sing it's praises much better than I can.

Mine has awesome focus in all modes and lighting. Focus peaking is unreal. In live mode with Focus Peaking you can still zoom to get exact focus....especially helpful in low light with manual lenses.

I still have to learn this camera, but wanted to share my more than positive experience with this camera. Image quality is amazing, and Focus Peaking is killer.
It really is a great camera, but I'm under the impression that it appeals mostly to casual users who aren't that into photography, which is why the K-30 is underrepresented on PF!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-01-2013, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

I am a pretty serious hobbiest and I just got a k-30 and love it. I was torn between whether I should buy the k-30 or the k-5 or the k-5II and I decided to go with the k-30 and get better glass.

I used canon for years both film and a rebel. I am not a pro, but I have been taking hobbiest shots for years and I think the k-30 is WAY better than my Canon rebel, which was the equivalent price point at the time I bought it 3 years ago.

I am really loving the image quality. I think the only downside and probably why there are less Pentax k-30 enthusiasts (in my Pentax newbie opinion) is that there are way fewer auto focus lenses available at a decent price for the Pentax. On the other hand, there are many more manual focus vintage lenses available.

I am certainly not regretting switching to Pentax.
01-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I used a K-30 for a 1000 shots recently and the only nitpick I have is the inadequate sensor dust shake reduction. It just isn't up to the K-5's.

01-01-2013, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It really is a great camera, but I'm under the impression that it appeals mostly to casual users who aren't that into photography, which is why the K-30 is underrepresented on PF!
While maybe not considered a pro I am far from a casual user and the K-30 appealed to me a great deal. I absolutely love mine and certainly I think the K-30 leaves little to be desired for the more advanced photographer. I find it unfortunate if it is being overlooked by that segment.
01-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It is a brilliant camera in its segment. But since at the moment the K-5 much more... They both have their advantages. The lack of SR in video is a very bad omission though in the K-30.
01-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

As someone who is looking at either a k30 or a K5, I think the reason it is under represented is due to the price of the K5 at the moment. Once they have run out, I think K30 sales will pick up.
Im still undecided, for all the K5 love, if I get one, I will be buying 2 yr old tech which is why it is so cheap. If the K30 had 5 shot AEB rather than 3 shot, Id be all over it for the DR, low light etc at a crazy price as well...

Still considering and weighing up the 'spend money on glass' over future HDR implications..

01-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't regret choosing the K-30 for a moment. I am certainly not a pro but I take my photography very seriously and feel the K-30 gives me plenty of room to grow and is certainly a significant step up from the K-r. Some of us are not made of money so the K5II wasn't an option. Fact is, I see nothing in the K5II to make me regret getting the K-30 anyway.

Really, IMO, the K-30 is quite simply the best bang for the buck out there right now. Fantastic for the beginner and advanced photographer.
01-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Look at Lori's photos and you'll what this camera can do. Her photos are great.
01-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Forum Member

At the end of the day, the main reason I went with the k-30 is that I could not bring myself to buy technology that is over 2 years old. (K-5). I felt that that technology would really feel dated in another year or so.
01-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Look at Lori's photos and you'll what this camera can do. Her photos are great.
Wow, thanks John. That's very kind of you to say.
01-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hell my Dad loves this Camera over his D90
01-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by cjblazer Quote
While maybe not considered a pro I am far from a casual user and the K-30 appealed to me a great deal. I absolutely love mine and certainly I think the K-30 leaves little to be desired for the more advanced photographer. I find it unfortunate if it is being overlooked by that segment.
Same here. I was torn between the K30 and K5II (I wasnt interested in the K5 purely because of its age. Its resale value is seriously diminished immediately) and it was actually the PF review that sealed the deal. Image quality is on par with the K5 but i was most concerned about the dynamic range. The tests that PF did in their excellent review revealed no noticeable difference (in my opinion) between the K30 and K5, so that sealed it for me. Also, i have a couple manual lenses so focus peaking was very attractive. The K5II has better ergonomics and a better dust removal system, but i dont think its ~$500 better. Id rather spend $500 on a better lens. Unfortunately, money is a factor for me right now so i feel like i have maximised my value with the K30.

Last edited by curlednoodles; 01-13-2013 at 06:30 AM.
01-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Focus peaking was a huge incentive for me to buy the K-30 as an upgrade to my K100D. It's a real shame FP doesn't work in video, it would have tremendous benefits using nice old manual lenses with their smooth focus rings. Perhaps a firmware update could add it but I'm sure it was purely a marketing decision by Pentax to not have it included. The other incentive was to get in on the last of the APS-C 16MP sensor endowed cameras as it's the best sensor around, I'm sure they'll all be 24MP next time round and I can see no extra detail in 24MP cameras - bigger files but no more real detail, not to mention slowing my 4yr old PC down. Image quality is everything I was expecting, I can match the K100D colours in RAW I'm glad to say because that was the old 6MP sensor's strongpoint. The great flexibility in high ISO usage is very nice to have, it makes life easy.

Edit:-
I take lots of landscape type shots in good old Blighty (U.K.) type of daylight, and if you are familiar with it, it means a great chance of blowing out the sky's cloudy textures, perhaps with (tiny!) bits of blue sky thrown in for good luck that also tend to vanish, depending on the subject's brightness. Well, the K-30 officially rocks, at least using RAW. It's definitely better in this respect than my K100D, and I hate to say it as I've always used Silkypix Pro 4/5 as my preferred converter, but Adobe Camera Raw 7.3 has it well beaten in highlight recovery. The embedded JPG can be completely obliterated with a white sky, but the RAW with highlight correction just brings back a perfect sky with loads of detail, Silkypix gets about halfway there in comparison.

Last edited by SteveB; 01-13-2013 at 12:55 PM.
01-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #15
Forum Member

I too was debating the k30 over the k5 and the k5II and went with the k30. I am so glad I did. The image quality in low light is awesome. The overall image quality is way better than the 3 yr old canon rebel of mine it replaced. At the end of the day, I just couldn't bring myself to buy 2 year old technology in the K5 or to pay top dollar for the k5Ii when it probably will go way down in price in a year. I figure I can revisit the decision then.

Last edited by lgt525; 01-13-2013 at 09:29 AM.