Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RAW/FX Button Questions

JUst sitting here playing with the buttons on my (relatively) new K-30.

Image capture setting is set to JPEG.

I have set the RAW/FX button to "One push file format" in the Button Customization Menu.
Cancel after one shot is unchecked, Selections below that are JPEG -> RAW, RAW -> RAW+, RAW+ ->JPEG

Looking at the screen, I see JPEG 16*** as I would expect.. but pushing the RAW/FX button does not seem to have any effect... regardless of what mode is set on the dial...

What am I missing? Shouldn't pushing the button change the file setting on the screen? I just tried a few test shots and the file names change (Underscore shows up in front of the image number), but the file size is around 6-7MB... which is what I would expect for a JPEG file not the many more MB i'd expect for a RAW file.

I'm sure it's something I've messed up in a menu setting somewhere, but after having a quick flip through the manual, I'm at a loss...

Any ideas/help/pointers?

Thanks all...

CP140

01-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What mode do use? FI "green mode" can only use jpg.
01-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Did you try to hold this button for 2-3 seconds - that is how "my" RAW/FX button works. Thou i have other possible problem. I did the similar setting of selections as yours ( JPEG -> RAW, RAW -> RAW+, RAW+ ->JPEG) but pushing RAW/FX button only toggle the setting JPEG -> RAW -> JPEG. Any thoughts?
Cheers
01-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pavpen Quote
Did you try to hold this button for 2-3 seconds - that is how "my" RAW/FX button works. Thou i have other possible problem. I did the similar setting of selections as yours ( JPEG -> RAW, RAW -> RAW+, RAW+ ->JPEG) but pushing RAW/FX button only toggle the setting JPEG -> RAW -> JPEG. Any thoughts?
Cheers

Thanks... it was the push and "hold" thing I was missing... makes sense I suppose so that a momentary/accidental press of the button doesn't change the setting. I should have thought of that...

As to your question... it depends on what you have set in the capture settings screen. If you have JPEG selected, then with the button customized like I have it...

(JPEG -> RAW, RAW -> RAW+, RAW+ ->JPEG)

... pushing the button will toggle between JPEG and RAW. If I have capture setting on RAW, pushing the button will toggle between RAW and RAW+.

At least that's how I think it works....

Thanks again for the help.

01-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I think no matter what you have the image capture format set to, pushing the RAW/Fx button will toggle it to RAW+. And yes, you have to hold the button for maybe a second.
01-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CP140 Quote
Thanks... it was the push and "hold" thing I was missing... makes sense I suppose so that a momentary/accidental press of the button doesn't change the setting. I should have thought of that...

As to your question... it depends on what you have set in the capture settings screen. If you have JPEG selected, then with the button customized like I have it...

(JPEG -> RAW, RAW -> RAW+, RAW+ ->JPEG)

... pushing the button will toggle between JPEG and RAW. If I have capture setting on RAW, pushing the button will toggle between RAW and RAW+.

At least that's how I think it works....

Thanks again for the help.
I'm glad to help you (i was in the same situation when i learn my k30.) To me it's very logic to switch to next programmed file format instead of toggling back.
01-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Isn't there a setting that allows continuous DUAL RAW/jpg recording (e.g., both formats are recorded simultaneously on the SDC at the same time)?

And aren't these both stored in different folders, one for the RAW, and one for the jpg?

Thanks,

Rite
01-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
Isn't there a setting that allows continuous DUAL RAW/jpg recording (e.g., both formats are recorded simultaneously on the SDC at the same time)?

And aren't these both stored in different folders, one for the RAW, and one for the jpg?

Thanks,

Rite
That's what RAW+ is. I believe they're both stored in the same folder with different file extensions.

Last edited by IchabodCrane; 01-03-2013 at 05:36 AM.