Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-30 Focus Selection Point Question

On page 102 of the K-30 manual, it refers to "Selecting the Focusing Point (AF Point)"

I would like to know if the K-30 is capable of selecting the focus point in the viewfinder, or the active screen. By this I mean, can I focus in on one select area of the frame, and how does the camera indicate it, or is this feature a 'LIVE' feature used in real-time, and has anybody used it?

Can I manually override the AF focus point to one I select?

This is the last barrier I have to buying a K-30.

Thanks,

Rite

From the manual:

Selecting the Focusing Point (AF Point)
b
Auto (5 AF
Points)
Out of the 5 AF points, the camera selects the optimum AF
point even if the subject is not centered. (default setting)
c
Auto (11 AF
Points)
Out of the 11 AF points, the camera selects the optimum AF
point even if the subject is not centered.
S Select Sets the focusing point to the user selected point from eleven
points in the AF frame.
O Spot Sets the focusing point to the center of the viewfinder.

Last edited by Rite; 01-02-2013 at 07:48 PM.
01-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
On page 102 of the K-30 manual, it refers to "Selecting the Focusing Point (AF Point)"

I would like to know if the K-30 is capable of selecting the focus point in the viewfinder, or the active screen. By this I mean, can I focus in on one select area of the frame, and how does the camera indicate it, or is this feature a 'LIVE' feature used in real-time, and has anybody used it?

Can I manually override the AF focus point to one I select?

This is the last barrier I have to buying a K-30.

Thanks,

Rite

From the manual:

Selecting the Focusing Point (AF Point)
b
Auto (5 AF
Points)
Out of the 5 AF points, the camera selects the optimum AF
point even if the subject is not centered. (default setting)
c
Auto (11 AF
Points)
Out of the 11 AF points, the camera selects the optimum AF
point even if the subject is not centered.
S Select Sets the focusing point to the user selected point from eleven
points in the AF frame.
O Spot Sets the focusing point to the center of the viewfinder.
I have limited experience with this function, but you can over-ride the AF focus point and pick your own as you've indicated on page 102 of the manual.

The focus points are visible through the viewfinder and light up when subject comes in focus on that focus point just like it does when you are using Auto 5 or Auto 11, except you picked which focus point you are using.

You can select the focus point using the 4 indicator buttons surrounding the ok button and they are visible on back lcd screen. I am not certain but I don't think this function is usable in live view mode.

I hope this helps a little.
01-02-2013, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dean31 Quote
I have limited experience with this function, but you can over-ride the AF focus point and pick your own as you've indicated on page 102 of the manual.

The focus points are visible through the viewfinder and light up when subject comes in focus on that focus point just like it does when you are using Auto 5 or Auto 11, except you picked which focus point you are using.

You can select the focus point using the 4 indicator buttons surrounding the ok button and they are visible on back lcd screen. I am not certain but I don't think this function is usable in live view mode.

I hope this helps a little.
--------------------------------------------

Thanks, and it does help. I want to pair the K-30 with the Sigma 70mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens for Pentax for nature macro and portraits. It would be nice to have that feature visible on the lcd screen as well, since the screen will zoom in further while focusing the subject like the K-x does.

The ability to manual override the focus point on the screen would be the cream on the top.

Rite
01-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
--------------------------------------------

Thanks, and it does help. I want to pair the K-30 with the Sigma 70mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens for Pentax for nature macro and portraits. It would be nice to have that feature visible on the lcd screen as well, since the screen will zoom in further while focusing the subject like the K-x does.

The ability to manual override the focus point on the screen would be the cream on the top.

Rite
In LV, the AF mode options are Spot, Tracking, Face Detection, and Select. So yes, you can designate the focus point in LV.

01-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
In LV, the AF mode options are Spot, Tracking, Face Detection, and Select. So yes, you can designate the focus point in LV.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks. If I am correct, the focus point designation is going to be active for both the viewfinder, AND LV. Is it correct to say also that the focus point in 'Select' mode is limited to one of the 11 focal points, or is it fluid (e.g., anywhere in the viewfinder of LV screen)?

Rite
01-02-2013, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #6

When the focus is set to AF Select, you can change the focus point by selecting any of the 4 rear buttons (use your thumb to change the area whilst still looking through the viewfinder) or by holding the RAW/Fx button and rotating the front dial (must first assign this fucntion to the RAW/Fx button via the menu).
As you change the focus point, you will see the currently selected focus point light up as a red dot in the viewfinder.

If using Live View, first press Ok, then use the 4-way controller to select the focus area. AF Select must first be enabled via the Live View menu.
01-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
When the focus is set to AF Select, you can change the focus point by selecting any of the 4 rear buttons (use your thumb to change the area whilst still looking through the viewfinder) or by holding the RAW/Fx button and rotating the front dial (must first assign this fucntion to the RAW/Fx button via the menu).
As you change the focus point, you will see the currently selected focus point light up as a red dot in the viewfinder.

If using Live View, first press Ok, then use the 4-way controller to select the focus area. AF Select must first be enabled via the Live View menu.
-------------------------------------------------------

Good info, and thanks for that.

Let's say I want to macro capture the veins in a frogs eye and pinpoint the focus point to that exact location in the frame. Am I limited to a 'fixed' auto focal point by the K-30 software, or can it 'fluidly' focus on an exact focal point (such as a tripod shot) without moving the camera to the point of a 'predetermined' focal point set by the K-30 within the viewfinder or in the LV?

Pretty much, all my questions have been answered, except for the one about being able to randomly (and fluidly) adjust the focal point to any designated point within the frame, vs being forced into using one of the 11 focal points the camera designates for me.

Its not a great issue, since being able to select from one of the pre-determined hardwired focal points the camera mandates will still cover most scenarios. I have had cameras though that allow the focal point to be fluid, instead of fixed, which is even more flexible when doing closeup macro work.

Rite

01-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #8

-------------------------------------------------------

Good info, and thanks for that.

Let's say I want to macro capture the veins in a frogs eye and pinpoint the focus point to that exact location in the frame. Am I limited to a 'fixed' auto focal point by the K-30 software, or can it 'fluidly' focus on an exact focal point (such as a tripod shot) without moving the camera to the point of a 'predetermined' focal point set by the K-30 within the viewfinder or in the LV?

Rite
In that situation you should use focus peaking and switch to manual focus. Be sure to enable focus peaking in the live view menu first. Also, if you have a Quick Shift lens, this will be useful with FP too.

Last edited by curlednoodles; 01-03-2013 at 07:42 AM.
01-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I just had my first serious play with the AF points in live view. There are 81 places you can set the AF point to on a 9x9 grid that covers roughly the middle 3/4 of the screen area in a fairly continuous fashion with no gaps. All I did was select multi point AF in the live view menu, then when in live view shooting mode, press OK then you can move the AF point around with the 4 arrows and press OK again to select and hold it there.
01-03-2013, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #10

The AF points are completely independent (and different) between the viewfinder (i.e., PDAF) and liveview (i.e., CDAF).

In PDAF, there are 11 points that you can select manually, or allow the computer to choose one from amongst all 11, or just the central 5. The selection can be made with the D-pad arrow keys, or with the front and back dials, depending on the mode.

In CDAF, the entire frame is divided into 100 sectors (a 10x10 grid). According to p.104 of the manual:

QuoteQuote:
The sensor is divided into 100 areas (10 horizontal by 10 vertical), and you can select a wider or narrower focusing area by using 4, 16, or 36 of those 100 available areas.
In other words, you can specify a 2x2 or 4x4 or 6x6 area of the frame for the CDAF to consider when focusing.
01-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

A 10x10 grid only allows 81 AF point choices if the smallest AF point is 2x2, not 100 unless my maths is wrong. Doesn't really make much difference though.
01-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
A 10x10 grid only allows 81 AF point choices if the smallest AF point is 2x2, not 100 unless my maths is wrong. Doesn't really make much difference though.
I checked mine and the grid is 9X9 segments which obviously comes to 81 total.
01-03-2013, 06:03 PM - 2 Likes   #13

I checked mine and the grid is 9X9 segments which obviously comes to 81 total.
Well that's odd. I just took a photo of my screen, you can plainly see that it's 10x10, as with my quote from the manual.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SCH-I535  Photo 
01-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWuestefeld Quote
Well that's odd. I just took a photo of my screen, you can plainly see that it's 10x10, as with my quote from the manual.
I never checked to see if you can zoom in and use each block individually (instead of four). If you can't, then those 10 X 10 segments are really 9 X 9 overlapping segments. Does that make sense?
01-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #15

I never checked to see if you can zoom in and use each block individually (instead of four). If you can't, then those 10 X 10 segments are really 9 X 9 overlapping segments. Does that make sense?
Well, I suspect that we all understand now what the camera is actually doing, and we're just debating semantics.