Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Fine Tuning Pentax K30 for warmer AWB

I enjoy a warmer image, and a higher temperature in general for shots - something along the lines of Canon's AWB.

Does anyone also prefer warmer images have experience fine tuning the K30s AWB settings?

Thanks!

01-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I tend to chose "Cloudy" for outdoors unless it's a blue sky morning and "Shade" for indoors with natural light. The "AWB" (automatic) setting can vary wildly between exposures and has a tendency towards cooler images, which I dislike. Fine tuning is often not an option unless you're controlling the light (e.g., studio).
01-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I tend to chose "Cloudy" for outdoors unless it's a blue sky morning and "Shade" for indoors with natural light. The "AWB" (automatic) setting can vary wildly between exposures and has a tendency towards cooler images, which I dislike. Fine tuning is often not an option unless you're controlling the light (e.g., studio).
I don't understand.
If you want warmer shots, just go to the white balance settings, select AWB, press INFO and fine tune, making every image taken using AWB warmer or cooler.
01-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
I don't understand.
If you want warmer shots, just go to the white balance settings, select AWB, press INFO and fine tune, making every image taken using AWB warmer or cooler.
Thats what I'm asking - what specific settings on the RGB fine tuning screen in the AWB sub-menu are people finding work best for those that prefer a warm color-cast?

I know I could experiment, but I actually dont have a lens for my k30 yet, its in the mail

01-04-2013, 02:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by godwinaustin Quote
Thats what I'm asking - what specific settings on the RGB fine tuning screen in the AWB sub-menu are people finding work best for those that prefer a warm color-cast?
+2 Amber for me. That eliminates the blue cast that auto WB sometimes produces.

And if I set a custom white balance from a white patch in a test shot, I often dial in +1 or +2 magenta.

Regards,
--Anders.
01-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Shoot RAW and do it in post production with something like Lightroom / Aperture is another good option. With the decreasing price of Flash, this is a reasonable option for me now, with approx 2200 RAWs on my 64GB Sandisk Card.

I must admit though, I am not 100% happy with the camera's JPG engine output, VS my new K-01 - I just prefer the K-01's output, but I can't for the life of me figure out why/what is different...
01-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Amber +2 in AWB and the option for stronger correction for AWB in Tungsten light activated seems to give me the broadest acceptable range of AWB performance.

The LCD also is a bit off, I'm using -2 brightness, +2 Amber, -1 Green for that although I keep changing my mind about the Green one.

Last edited by SteveB; 01-04-2013 at 06:43 AM.
01-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I know I could experiment, but I actually dont have a lens for my k30 yet, its in the mail
Heheh, i was referring to hcarvalhoalves's answer, because it is quite simple and effective to fine tune the AWB.
Personally, i don't really fine tune the AWB, i usually do it in ACR.
01-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I enjoy a warmer image, and a higher temperature in general for shots - something along the lines of Canon's AWB.
Pentax AWB on bodies since the K-x is too cool (blue) in daylight, but Canon's reddish skin tones are FUGLY. I shoot raw and correct WB in post, but I'm going to play with the in-camera setting on the K-x to see if I can get closer to the K20D, which IMO has better daylight AWB than any Pentax, Nikon or Canon.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-04-2013 at 08:51 AM.
01-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Pentax AWB on bodies since the K-x are too cool (blue) in daylight, but Canon's reddish skin tones are FUGLY. I shoot raw and correct WB in post, but I'm going to play with the in-camera setting on the K-x to see if I can get closer to the K20D, which IMO has better daylight AWB than any Pentax, Nikon or Canon.
Thanks for the replies everyone....I just try to avoid unnecessary work in LR as much as possible, so a good AWB is valuable. Less time in front of the computer screen and more time shooting is better in my book.
01-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I don't understand.
The problem is that AWB is inconsistent itself, so fine tuning just gives you a color shift (e.g., +2 amber) on top of whatever color temperature the camera detected in each shot. In the end, you still have inconsistent white balance between shots of the same set, they will be just color shifted, as opposed to locking to a preset or manual setting.
01-04-2013, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
The problem is that AWB is inconsistent itself, so fine tuning just gives you a color shift (e.g., +2 amber) on top of whatever color temperature the camera detected in each shot. In the end, you still have inconsistent white balance between shots of the same set, they will be just color shifted, as opposed to locking to a preset or manual setting.
right but it seems the AWB is accurate on the K30 by most accounts, but that it tends to render on the cooler side.
01-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My K-30's AWB is pretty consistent, just checked some raws, and the color temperature doesn't seem to change a lot between shots of the same scene.
01-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

right but it seems the AWB is accurate on the K30 by most accounts, but that it tends to render on the cooler side.
Although I haven't tested the K30, it's my experience the AWB on the K-x is similar (it renders cooler than the K20D/K-7), but varies a lot depending on the situation, the lens used and the aperture.
01-04-2013, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

My K-30's AWB is pretty consistent, just checked some raws, and the color temperature doesn't seem to change a lot between shots of the same scene.
That's my gripe with AWB: ideally, if the light source hasn't changed (e.g., sun), the camera shouldn't change the color temperature at all. In practice, the camera will change the temperature whether the subject is the sky, grass or a brick wall, even though everything is under sunlight (6500k).

Hence, when you fine tune, you're just offsetting the error instead of fixing, because AWB changes the base temperature all the time. Using AWB and trying to fix in post is also a pain, because each shot will have a different setting, so you can't adjust an entire set based on a sample shot of a grey subject or whatever, even if the variation is small (because an adjustment will make one shot perfect, but ruin the skin tones on another).

I prefer the camera to handle white balance like negative film did, having a consistent (rather than possibly right) temperature for an entire set, so you have latitude to work on post.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 01-04-2013 at 12:14 PM.