Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-30 - How Weather Resistant?

Hi All,

I am expecting to receive my K-30 + 18-135mm WR lens within the next couple of days & wanted to know its level of “weather resistance.” I’m not planning on jumping in to the Thames with it, but we all know how bad British weather is. I will be using it mainly outdoors so it’s a given that it will get wet. I will carry a cloth to dry it off, but how bad does the weather need to be for me to pack it up or for the camera to get damaged? If wet, once indoors do I need to follow the normal procedure of removing the battery & SD card or can it handle that? How well sealed are the compartments for the battery & SD card?

Looking forward to reading your replies!

Cheers,
Ducky

01-04-2013, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

No experience here as I've yet to buy a sealed lens, but I've read a few things, seen some videos. I think it will put up with any weather, but don't take the SD card or batteries out after rain because water will be caught up between door edges and the seal, and the water may dribble inside once you've broken the seal by opening it up before water has had a chance to evaporate. Even the slide catch on the battery door seems to be sealed if my blowing test is anything to go by LOL.
01-04-2013, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #3

Should be able to use it in the rain if the seals are working properly from what I understand but they have been some failures.Here is one thread on the subject and there are others here,Get a solid lens hood to help keep the front element dry should help in a rain.Some seem to think that drying may push water threw the seals and may be more likely to do harm other than good.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/204164-waterproof-k-5-k-30-a.html
01-04-2013, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had mine in the "rain" a few times. Actually, it was only sprinkling, not a heavy rain at all. I've had it out during a light snowfall. No problems yet. I am not worrying about it. I purchased the extended warranty and if something happens, I will have them fix it. I'm not going to do anything stupid, but it is supposed to be weather resistant and I won't hesitate to use it if I need to.

When I have gotten it wet, I always leave the zoom extended (if applicable) once I get inside and let the camera set at room temperature for a good time before putting it away. I don't see how gently wiping it down with a microfiber towel would hurt anything. Definitely use a hood to protect the front element - certainly makes it easier to keep the water drops off.

01-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the posts guys! I now have a better understanding of the camera's limitations! Can't wait to test it out!!!
01-04-2013, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
I've been out in the rain a few times with mine, some of it quite heavy. Pentax say you can use the K-30 is without worrying about weather conditions.

"This means that the K-30 can be taken along on outdoor activities such as camping and mountain climbing, for the joy of high-quality digital SLR photography without worrying about weather conditions". It's an interesting point....and I've no doubt it could be argued in a Court of Law what exactly is meant by that statement.

Theoretically, for UK users the Sale Of Goods Act 1979 should protect us should the camera leak. An item must be of "Satisfactory Quality As Described, Fit for Purpose And Last A Reasonable Amount Of Time". I haven't seen anywhere that Pentax say "you must renew the weather seals after a certain time, for continued protection". On that basis I'd be prepared to argue that the weather protection should last for the life of the camera and based on their advertising blurb I can take it out in any weather condition.
01-04-2013, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I read in another thread about the proper way to think about the "Weather Sealing" of Pentax cameras: Treat it like another feature, not as some sort of failsafe emergency device. Go out in that rainy, snowy, sand-blown hurricane beach and take that shot!

The way I dry off my camera is I take off the lens and put the camera with the open mount facing down on a table inside one of rooms in my house. I put the mount facing down so dust doesn't settle into it, but I leave it open so that moisture and condensation are given the chance to evaporate from the guts of the camera. If it's really bad, I will open all the ports and remove the batteries and SD card. I will wait hours to make sure everything is properly dry before putting everything back into it. I'm not sure that's entirely necessary though, but I just like to play safe.

01-04-2013, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I have found the weather sealing to work very well but there are some precautions that should be taken. Some are pretty obvious, such as not changing the lens, battery or SD card when raining, and making sure the lens is also weather resistant. Also never use an external flash in wet conditions - it can even be dangerous. (using the internal pop up flash is OK though)

One less obvious precaution has to do with zooming. With the 18-135 WR lens when you zoom in and out you force air through the camera and no matter how well it is sealed the displaced air will have to get in or our somewhere and when it does it will carry with it any water that has accumulated around the seals. If it is only a light drizzle and not much water is accumulating it shouldn't be an issue but in a downpour or in heavy sea spray it could cause problems so in such situations it is best to resist the temptation to operate the zoom. (A weatherproof lens with internal zoom won't have this issue but I don't know of any such lens that I could afford )

The other thing is about what to do when you get back indoors. If the camera has been drenched there will be water collected in the gaps between the doors and the body, as the seals are further in. You should ideally let this dry out before opening the doors otherwise the water trapped there can get inside once you open the door.

I've done both the above mistakes, zooming in a downpour and opening the SD card door as soon as I got out of the rain and into the car. Fortunately although some water did get inside it apparently didn't get in far enough to cause any damage.

Probably the best thing to do once you get to a dry place is to hold the camera face down and remove the lens as suggested by Earl Von Tapia and wait a few hours before opening any of the other ports on the camera. Do not zoom out the lens (to longer focal length that is) before removing it from the camera as it could pull in that water accumulated around the seals. Once it is removed then by all means extend it to its full length to help it dry quicker.

Be sure to have the camera facing down while removing the lens as there could also be water accumulated around the lens seal. This will easily fall into the camera if it is not facing down. It will not so easily get into the lens, and even if it does it is unlikely to do it any harm provided you do not use it before it is fully dried out.

One last thing - if at any time you have reason to believe that water has managed to get inside then remove the battery immediately - even if some water gets inside as a result. Better more water and no electricity than less water and electricity.

To some this may all seem a bother that one shouldn't have to endure since the camera is advertised as being fully weather resistant but in reality any weatherproof/waterproof equipment needs some care and attention.
01-06-2013, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

My k30 has survived everything, rain sleet and snow as well as -8 degrees C and it still works. It also has survived me falling on top of it as well. Over all i would say it is more rugged and weather proof than its owner is
01-07-2013, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #10

Straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. I sent this email to Pentax Tech Support re weather seals

"I have a question about how weather resistant the K-30 actually is. My K-30 is fitted with a WR lens. 1. Are there any weather conditions I can`t use it. 2. For continued protection do the WR seals need to be replaced at any time".

Here is the reply I received today

"This camera was design to be weather resistant and dust proof. We do not recommend to use it under extreme weather conditions. The weather seals should be checked before or after using the camera on adverse conditions or every year by an authorized Pentax service center".

Couldn't be clearer. Make of it what you will.
01-07-2013, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I have tested my K20D in extreme conditions : snow (even falling in the snow), under rain and under waterfalls, on the beach, it got srayed with salt, you name it. It's still perfect.

Of course, don't open any door or change lenses unless you're sure everything is dry.
01-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all the posts guys! This is really helpful!
01-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Passed the test

Just got my K-30 3 days ago and had the opportunity to go out in a pretty decent rain this morning.

Forgive the lousy phone pic--
01-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Looks good Steve... What lens have you got there? Is it WR?
01-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #15

Ducky, check this video....
if you dont wanna watch all of it, skip to 10:35...
its not waterproof, but it can handle bad weather conditions... and then some...