Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BurningChrome Quote
I've used my K-30 in -20C ambient temp (closer to -30C with windchill) without any problems other than fingers getting too numb to operate the camera. I did not remove or change the lens at any point since I only have an 18-135 WR.
Well that's good to know. Hopefully it was just a one time thing and it'll never happen again.

01-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
Forum Member

Last week i taken my k30 out in -8 degrees and it worked perfectly, I had no problems with it apart from the lens cap getting stuck on as i fell on it while i was skiing
01-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had my camera out Saturday in below freezing temperatures for a couple hours. The Ansmann AA batteries I was trying gave out quickly so I switched to a trusty Lithium Ion and shot for the rest of the day. They were really cheap.and will be relegated to cordless mice and flashlights. Other than that there were absolutely no problems with cold temperatures. That's probably the third or fourth time I've been out in below freezing temps for extended periods. Cold fingers have been the worst problem.
01-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I've had a second issue and I'm worried I got a bum camera. First game was fine, but at the game last night, something weird happened. I had shot a few pictures. Had my camera pointed down, brought it up to shoot more. I couldn't get it to focus..nothing.. button wouldn't fire. I checked, yes it was on, looked again, when I half pushed no red square, nada. I checked the switch, set to autofocus, then i checked the display. The shutter speed was missing.
Everything else on the camera was working fine, I could review a picture, the aperture and film speed were present but the shutter speed section was just blank. I tried changing modes, nada.
Finally I turned the camera on and off again and it was working fine. I've put about 850 pictures on the camera, but already had 2 weird issues like this. Is there a firmware update? Should I try that? It turns out the pentax service center isn't far from me so I could take it over there.
I just need to get my warranty card.. I bought it in from the US and I'm in Korea..not sure how sticky they'd be about that.

01-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

DIrty lens contacts can cause all manner of weird behavior. Same with the hotshoe contacts if you're using an external flash. Once the software gets mixed up because of something unexpected (such as a missing signal because of a dirty contact) there's no saying what it will do next.

My K-30 has behaved strangely twice but I don't consider it an issue and in your place I wouldn't be concerned either unless it happens very often. Cameras apart, it seems to be increasingly normal nowadays for electronics to behave strangely from time to time - the solution usually being to switch off/on, or perhaps even remove/reinsert the batteries.
01-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
Well that's good to know. Hopefully it was just a one time thing and it'll never happen again.
I've had this happen to my K-30 a couple days after purchase, a good while back (was 1st on here to receive one). Rear dial no response still on but take no photos etc, power down and back up and it was fine. Never had it since, i'd say you'll probably be golden and maybe not even weather related. Could've been contacts, i've seen some odd behavior from my K20D with dirty contacts years ago self firing etc.