Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-30 Bracketing -vs- Multiple Exposure

The K-30 brackets up to three shots, -vs- five on the K5.

It will multi-expose up to nine shots.

My question is how similar, if fixing the K-30 to a tripod before shooting, is multi-exposure to bracketing, and would it have the same effect with being able to shoot up to nine shots in multi, vs only three in bracketing?

The consideration here is of course for post processing purposes in CS6 and LightRoom.

Thanks,

Rite

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From page 126 of the K-30 Manual:

Shooting Functions4
You can create a picture by taking multiple exposures and merging them into a single image.

1 Select [Multi-exposure] in the [A Rec. Mode 2] menu, and press the four-way controller (5).
The [Multi-exposure] screen appears.

2 Use the four-way controller (23) to select [Number of Shots],
and press the four-way controller (5).

3 Use the four-way controller (23) to
select the number of shots, and
press the 4 button.
Select from 2 to 9 shots.

4 Use the four-way controller (23) to select [Auto EV
Adjustment], and use the four-way controller (45) to
select P or O.
When set to O, the exposure is adjusted according to the number of
shots.

5 Use the four-way controller (23) to select [Start shooting],
and press the 4 button.
The camera is ready to take a series of pictures.

6 Take the picture.
The composite picture is display

Multi-exposure

Multi-exposure is not available in the following situations.
• when Z (Night Scene HDR) of H mode, or C mode is set • when Interval Shooting, Digital Filter or HDR Capture is set.

01-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Bracketing is for making several pictures with different exposure easier. Bracketing is useful when you're not sure which exposure give best result.
Multi-exposure is for stacking several exposures in the same picture. Multi-exposure can be use for some creative effect, for instance by making one person appear in up to nine position in a picture.
01-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Bracketing make actual different photo for each one.
Multi exposure makes 9 different exposures in JPEG of the same shot.... no idea why you should do that if you can shoot in RAW instead where you can extract even more photos out....
01-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Bracketing make actual different photo for each one.
Multi exposure makes 9 different exposures in JPEG of the same shot.... no idea why you should do that if you can shoot in RAW instead where you can extract even more photos out....
----------------------------------------------------

Thanks. I was on the wrong track with the use of multi-exposure. I was thinking of multiple shots of the same subject in the same position using small variations of exposure on +1 increments for the purpose of merging them into a single HDR shot.

I'm sure this can be done with almost any camera sitting on a tripod, including the K-30.

This approach should overcome the 3-shot bracketing limitation of the K-30, and allow manual bracketing of as many shots as desired (5 or 7).

Rite

01-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

But like said the shots in multiple-exposure originate from 1 RAW photo that the camera process into several JPEGs

Well you could simplify your pseudo HDR photo with this, but for real HDR you still need real multiple photos.
01-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that using RAW and ISO 100 and 9 multiple exposures of the same inanimate object will theoretically lead to effective noise reduction as if you had shot the object at ISO 100/9 or just a shade over ISO 11. People (especially landscape photographers) tend to forget this when they complain that there should be an ISO 25 on the K5.

Jack
01-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Note that using RAW and ISO 100 and 9 multiple exposures of the same inanimate object will theoretically lead to effective noise reduction as if you had shot the object at ISO 100/9 or just a shade over ISO 11. People (especially landscape photographers) tend to forget this when they complain that there should be an ISO 25 on the K5.

Jack
-------------------------------------

I saw a tube HDR video the other day where the photographer set his ISO of still subject (train) after taking a light reading with the camera sensor, then set his camera on a tripod and manually adjusted the shutter speed with 6 shots for each of the shots using the shutter speed dial on the camera. Then he merged them in post processing and the results were all great. The key is to keep everything perfectly still while turning the camera exposure dial in increments until the last shot is taken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7IE6cnkJ_c

Last edited by Rite; 01-07-2013 at 09:07 PM.
01-08-2013, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
-------------------------------------

I saw a tube HDR video the other day where the photographer set his ISO of still subject (train) after taking a light reading with the camera sensor, then set his camera on a tripod and manually adjusted the shutter speed with 6 shots for each of the shots using the shutter speed dial on the camera. Then he merged them in post processing and the results were all great. The key is to keep everything perfectly still while turning the camera exposure dial in increments until the last shot is taken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7IE6cnkJ_c
I use bracketing all the time for my HDR's. As I use a tripod I just adjust the bracketing range, 3 at 1Ev, 3 at 2Ev and 3 at 3Ev. I use the 0 from the 2Ev and discard the other two, This gives me a 7 bracket set -3 to + 3.
01-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Hardisty Quote
I use bracketing all the time for my HDR's. As I use a tripod I just adjust the bracketing range, 3 at 1Ev, 3 at 2Ev and 3 at 3Ev. I use the 0 from the 2Ev and discard the other two, This gives me a 7 bracket set -3 to + 3.
------------------------------------------------

Best answer .. Gets the "WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?" Award
01-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Hardisty Quote
Thats a bit pointless when your raw file covers about 12 stops or so

So just the one of 3ev steps should be enough.
Don't believe me, test it.
01-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster

-----------------------------------------

Your train of thinking is good, but does the K-30 bracket in RAW?
01-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #12

Apparentlly a message has to be a minimum of 5 letters. In answer to your question does a K-30 bracket in RAW, the answer Yes
01-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #13

Oh! I believe you but for some reason I get better better resuts with 32bit HDR processing using Lightroom when I use a spread of brackets