Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
Forum Member

nice photos rmat! looks like you have it down, those all look great!

01-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mspoon Quote
Apologies if this counts as a double post, but I saw this thread and thought that maybe those of you who frequent the K30 section more than the other sections might read this and be able to share your experiences.

In short, I'm having difficulty getting metering to work correctly on my K30 in M mode when using old M42 mount lenses. I followed what I think are all the suggestions for setting up the camera and the green button correctly. But when hit the green button, the shutter speeds sets itself to 1/500 sec indoors at night (or something equally ridiculous) and then won't change again. I posted additional details here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...ml#post2238201.

Has anyone else experienced this same issue? I'm getting ready to take this up with the Pentax warranty department, but am hoping against hope that someone can simply point to something I just did wrong.

Thanks!
My guess is you have the K-30 in Auto ISO mode. M mode and fixed ISO should work, it's logical if you think about it that Auto ISO can't work. You've probably already set Using Aperture Ring to 2 in the menus.
01-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
My guess is you have the K-30 in Auto ISO mode. M mode and fixed ISO should work, it's logical if you think about it that Auto ISO can't work. You've probably already set Using Aperture Ring to 2 in the menus.
Yea, that was my first thought too.
01-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Thanks but, sadly, I don't think that's the problem. I went into the ISO menu and manually dialed it to 400. That was one of the first things I made sure I did when I started playing with it.

01-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello,
I have been using M42 lenses without the green button. The K-30 seems to set the exposure time correctly without doing anything special.

But now, I would like to have control over exposure time in addition to the aperture-- is that possible?

Is the only option to play with exposure compensation +/-?
01-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #21

Original Poster
I may be misunderstanding your request but I don't use the green button either... to set the exposure time I just put it in manual mode and take it off AUTO ISO and I can set ISO and shutter speed and then adjust aperture and focus on the lens itself

did that help?
01-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by rmat Quote
I may be misunderstanding your request but I don't use the green button either... to set the exposure time I just put it in manual mode and take it off AUTO ISO and I can set ISO and shutter speed and then adjust aperture and focus on the lens itself

did that help?
YES, with fixed ISO and M mode, I can adjust the Tv setting! Thanks!

Now, do you happen to know how to adjust the flash output to the distance with manual lenses?
01-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #23

Original Poster
sorry cant help you there, i havn't incorporated flash into my photography much thus far

01-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by rmat Quote
sorry cant help you there, i havn't incorporated flash into my photography much thus far
K.
I think my solution will have to rely on external flash, as the camera detects focus distance through the auto-focus setting not edge contrast detection. I just wish it would let me enter a distance and adjust flash power based on it.