Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Ghosting?

This must be some new feature that I didn't have on my K-M, because I can't say that I ever had a picture come out like this. I just noticed it in a couple of photos I've taken..it's almost like some kind of ghosting. I'm not using HDR, but it seems like it's putting multiple images together or something. If there is a setting I can disable for this, I'll happily do so.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The ball was moving.

The shutter speed of 1/40 is pretty slow and won't freeze movement very well, but the flash firing will freeze movement. Your flash fired for a very short period of time, say 1/4000 as an example, but the shutter was open for much longer than that. The ambient light was enough that you'd get still get something without flash at those exposure settings, you get some of that light recorded too.

To minimize this, set your shutter speed (and aperture if needed) higher, so the scene would be underexposed without the flash. The sync speed is 1/180, so you can't go faster than that and use the onboard flash. That way you'll have the motion frozen without the trails, unless you want them of course.

One way to think of flash photography is you're taking two pictures at the same time, one while the flash is lit, one while it is not.
01-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Right, I forgot that I had turned my flash on for a couple of pictures. Never had that trouble with the flash on my K-m, but I noticed that the K-30 seems to choose different shutter speeds with the flash on. Typically if I turned the flash on on the K-M (didn't do it much) It would set it to 1/60 every time. I noticed with the K-30 it was still leaving it at 1/40-1/50 a little slower
01-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Manual mode is much better for using flash, the camera doesn't know what you want out of a shot, it doesn't know if you want the flash to the primary light source or the secondary light source. Apparently, the K-30 in Av mode assumes you want the flash to be a secondary light source.

In this case, for freezing motion, you wanted the flash to be the primary light source. However, on a portrait you might want the ambient to be primary and just have the flash as a soft fill to kill shadows.