Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-10-2013, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Feeling a bit squirrelly

I was hoping this little girl would make an appearance so I could try out the K-30 on some fur detail. It did not disappoint! Mind you, these are from a kit lens.

01-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #2

wow, great shots! Very sharp given its the standard lens, especially the shot where the squirrel is looking right at you. Which lens is it, btw?
01-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
wow, great shots! Very sharp given its the standard lens, especially the shot where the squirrel is looking right at you. Which lens is it, btw?
The standard 55-300mm DA L. Thanks!
01-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How do all you guys get squirrel shots like this? This is a great set! I can barely find the squirrels let alone shoot them (sounds bad).

01-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
How do all you guys get squirrel shots like this? This is a great set! I can barely find the squirrels let alone shoot them (sounds bad).
The squirrels in London are so used to people all you need to do is crouch down and they will come to you in the hope you have food. Some will even crawl up your arms and legs. Freaked me out the first time lol.
01-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is a fat squirrel.
01-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Put out some food (bird seed, whole kernel corn, peanuts). They will come. So with the birds. I have my tripod set up at my office window about 20 feet from the feeding station. Yes... these (and 99% of my wildlife images) are captured through double-pane glass.

01-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The squirrels in London are so used to people all you need to do is crouch down and they will come to you in the hope you have food. Some will even crawl up your arms and legs. Freaked me out the first time lol.
I worked in Grosvenor Square many years ago. I remember it well. Not as many as some other parks in the London area, but enough!
01-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gjtoth Quote
Put out some food (bird seed, whole kernel corn, peanuts). They will come. So with the birds. I have my tripod set up at my office window about 20 feet from the feeding station. Yes... these (and 99% of my wildlife images) are captured through double-pane glass.
Not around here anymore. I remember them doing that when I was a kid but now they only jump between the pine tops. I guess they already got enough food.
01-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not around here anymore. I remember them doing that when I was a kid but now they only jump between the pine tops. I guess they already got enough food.
They're pretty skittish in these parts, too. I shot these from inside the house behind a closed window. Had I been outside, there would have been no squirrel.
01-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #11

Wow those are great photos! I'm impressed what you managed out of the 55-300mm lens.

My squirrels are bigger than yours though >

01-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by teylix Quote
Wow those are great photos! I'm impressed what you managed out of the 55-300mm lens.

My squirrels are bigger than yours though >

Thanks very much. Everyone seems to find the kit lenses lacking. Frankly, I don't have a problem with 'em.

This a a pup. You should see mama.
01-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #13

sugar pop time

Got bored one rainy Saturday . Threw out a few sugar pops and broke out the 30 year old Pentax 200 f2.5 manual lens with the K-30 and you have a model. No post or crop applied very sharp and excellent IQ Thats a crumb in the whiskers !
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-12-2013, 05:01 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
Got bored one rainy Saturday . Threw out a few sugar pops and broke out the 30 year old Pentax 200 f2.5 manual lens with the K-30 and you have a model. No post or crop applied very sharp and excellent IQ Thats a crumb in the whiskers !
Nice shots, but it looks a little soft to me. What aperture did you use? Ive been looking around for an older manual zoom but so far i havent found any that offer the sharpness and clarity that i want.
01-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice shots, but it looks a little soft to me. What aperture did you use? Ive been looking around for an older manual zoom but so far i havent found any that offer the sharpness and clarity that i want.
It's hard to tell whom your question and comments are directed to since two other people posted images in my thread.

Last edited by gjtoth; 01-12-2013 at 07:42 PM.