Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2013, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian
gjtoth's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,962
Feeling a bit squirrelly

I was hoping this little girl would make an appearance so I could try out the K-30 on some fur detail. It did not disappoint! Mind you, these are from a kit lens.













01-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Far North Qld, Australia
Posts: 179
wow, great shots! Very sharp given its the standard lens, especially the shot where the squirrel is looking right at you. Which lens is it, btw?
01-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian
gjtoth's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,962
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
wow, great shots! Very sharp given its the standard lens, especially the shot where the squirrel is looking right at you. Which lens is it, btw?
The standard 55-300mm DA L. Thanks!
01-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
How do all you guys get squirrel shots like this? This is a great set! I can barely find the squirrels let alone shoot them (sounds bad).

01-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Far North Qld, Australia
Posts: 179
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
How do all you guys get squirrel shots like this? This is a great set! I can barely find the squirrels let alone shoot them (sounds bad).
The squirrels in London are so used to people all you need to do is crouch down and they will come to you in the hope you have food. Some will even crawl up your arms and legs. Freaked me out the first time lol.
01-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,417
That is a fat squirrel.
01-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian
gjtoth's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,962
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
How do all you guys get squirrel shots like this? This is a great set! I can barely find the squirrels let alone shoot them (sounds bad).
Put out some food (bird seed, whole kernel corn, peanuts). They will come. So with the birds. I have my tripod set up at my office window about 20 feet from the feeding station. Yes... these (and 99% of my wildlife images) are captured through double-pane glass.
01-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian
gjtoth's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,962
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
The squirrels in London are so used to people all you need to do is crouch down and they will come to you in the hope you have food. Some will even crawl up your arms and legs. Freaked me out the first time lol.
I worked in Grosvenor Square many years ago. I remember it well. Not as many as some other parks in the London area, but enough!

01-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
QuoteOriginally posted by gjtoth Quote
Put out some food (bird seed, whole kernel corn, peanuts). They will come. So with the birds. I have my tripod set up at my office window about 20 feet from the feeding station. Yes... these (and 99% of my wildlife images) are captured through double-pane glass.
Not around here anymore. I remember them doing that when I was a kid but now they only jump between the pine tops. I guess they already got enough food.
01-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian
gjtoth's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,962
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Not around here anymore. I remember them doing that when I was a kid but now they only jump between the pine tops. I guess they already got enough food.
They're pretty skittish in these parts, too. I shot these from inside the house behind a closed window. Had I been outside, there would have been no squirrel.
01-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 25
Wow those are great photos! I'm impressed what you managed out of the 55-300mm lens.

My squirrels are bigger than yours though >

01-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian
gjtoth's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,962
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by teylix Quote
Wow those are great photos! I'm impressed what you managed out of the 55-300mm lens.

My squirrels are bigger than yours though >

Thanks very much. Everyone seems to find the kit lenses lacking. Frankly, I don't have a problem with 'em.

This a a pup. You should see mama.
01-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #13
Senior Member
jeffw's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 181
sugar pop time

Got bored one rainy Saturday . Threw out a few sugar pops and broke out the 30 year old Pentax 200 f2.5 manual lens with the K-30 and you have a model. No post or crop applied very sharp and excellent IQ Thats a crumb in the whiskers !
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-12-2013, 05:01 AM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Far North Qld, Australia
Posts: 179
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
Got bored one rainy Saturday . Threw out a few sugar pops and broke out the 30 year old Pentax 200 f2.5 manual lens with the K-30 and you have a model. No post or crop applied very sharp and excellent IQ Thats a crumb in the whiskers !
Nice shots, but it looks a little soft to me. What aperture did you use? Ive been looking around for an older manual zoom but so far i havent found any that offer the sharpness and clarity that i want.
01-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian
gjtoth's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,962
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
Nice shots, but it looks a little soft to me. What aperture did you use? Ive been looking around for an older manual zoom but so far i havent found any that offer the sharpness and clarity that i want.
It's hard to tell whom your question and comments are directed to since two other people posted images in my thread.

Last edited by gjtoth; 01-12-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-30, k-50, pentax k30, pentax k50
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feeling a bit overwhelmed Lurch Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 43 05-06-2011 02:42 AM
Nature Oh What a Feeling.......... eaglem Post Your Photos! 6 04-10-2011 05:33 PM
People a bit playfull, just a bit devisor Post Your Photos! 4 10-15-2009 12:25 AM
Feeling different - feeling proud - two birds gawan Post Your Photos! 12 05-27-2009 06:42 AM
For those feeling a bit chilly. Mallee Boy Post Your Photos! 4 02-18-2007 10:22 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top