Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never seen Blue like this before

My new k-30 arrived yesterday. It is a shinny blue body. But it doesnt make me feel blue at all.
I get all warm and fuzzy inside. It is completely different from my k-m.
Now I dont mean no disrespect to my k-m but the low light performance on this thing is crazy.
I put all the lights of in the room except the tv and I was still able to get AF confrimation in a second.

It came with the 18-135mm. Now this lens compared to my 18-55 lens are two different things.
Its really fast. Even when mounted on my k-m. I am so used to hearing that whriling sound the 18-55 does that I am wondering if the lens is responding.

Something I found interesting on the 18-135 focus throw. It never ends. It goes and goes and goes in either direction.
I have not had any pentax lens behave like this. How can one find min and infinity focus?

My main concern was to make a partial test of the weather seal. So I used the toilet paper zoom in zoom out technic. It passed and I am reliefed.

Hope to do some shooting over the weekend. Thanks Pentax.

Last edited by Culture; 01-10-2013 at 11:16 PM.
01-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I used the toilet paper zoom in zoom out technic
Never heard of it. What is it?

Weather seals on the pentax lenses are pretty good. Used them in the rain without any protection with no problems.
01-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #3

The lens will stop focusing at min and infinity. The ring will spin endlessly as part of the quick-shift focus mechanism. It takes some getting used to, but you should be able to see when the lens hits the rack points. You will also feel it to some extent when the elements stop moving.
01-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Never heard of it. What is it?

Weather seals on the pentax lenses are pretty good. Used them in the rain without any protection with no problems.
You will find it in this post.

QuoteOriginally posted by zorza Quote
Yeap.. I did that myself to test what the k-30 was like under water and the K-30 stills runs perfectlly. Here's the video.

k 30 - YouTube

No dust or water on the lcd or anywhere on the camera.. And that was with the kit lens 18-135 WR.. Now I want to go shooting in the rain it with the da* 55 .

01-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
The lens will stop focusing at min and infinity. The ring will spin endlessly as part of the quick-shift focus mechanism. It takes some getting used to, but you should be able to see when the lens hits the rack points. You will also feel it to some extent when the elements stop moving.

You are right. I have noticed that the feel of the focus ring changes when you reach the end. This will definately needs getting used to.