Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

Spot AF vs Select AF

Hey,

I'm a new K-30 user, and I want to get dirty with understanding focusing

I read numerous threads about AF sensors, etc. I'm looking for information, what's the difference between the Spot AF and the the Select AF with center point selected.

I read somewhere, that with Nikon or Canon the Spot Focus AF is smaller then the center selected AF, so it requires lot more patience to focus correctly, but I see no indication of such in the k-30 manual. There must be something difference, because I see no point to have Spot AF if I can select the same AF point with the select AF mode.

Thanks

Szabolcs

01-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by szmatefy Quote
Hey,

I'm a new K-30 user, and I want to get dirty with understanding focusing

I read numerous threads about AF sensors, etc. I'm looking for information, what's the difference between the Spot AF and the the Select AF with center point selected.

I read somewhere, that with Nikon or Canon the Spot Focus AF is smaller then the center selected AF, so it requires lot more patience to focus correctly, but I see no indication of such in the k-30 manual. There must be something difference, because I see no point to have Spot AF if I can select the same AF point with the select AF mode.

Thanks

Szabolcs
There is no difference in the way the point itself behaves AFAIK. The only thing is that you can get select mode to try to track subjects (Pentax doesn't do this well) and maintain focus even if your subject moves over to one of the other points for a moment. Pentax refers to this feature as "SEL area expansion".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-18-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

So, it's quite safe to stay with Spot mode (so I can reach plenty of option using the directional keys). In low light I found some focusing issues, but that might be also that I'm coming from K-x, and 12 Megapixel is significantly less than 16...I'm scared that my camera has AF issues, I had to adjust the AF for my Sigma and Tamron lenses. Funny, that I had to reset the adjustment, and now it seems to work OK.

I'm still struggling with the focusing...
01-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #4

I also had tamron 17-50 with strange AF behavior. I did the same as you - reset all to start from scratch, and it seemed to be working much better after that. Nevertheless, I sold it because it still missed focus too much in the low light, and that was not what I needed because I shot mainly indoors. Tamron is a great lens, I wish it has something like ultrasound motor inside, and more precise focus, it would easily wipe out the competition.