Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got it today!

Well, I guess it was worth the extra $72 to get the K-30 from NYC (B & H) to Austin in two days. I have horrible problems with UPS; the driver's a jerk and leaves all my packages out by the ROAD--400 feet from my house, and he refuses to come down my driveway and bring packages to the house. I've had two very expensive items stolen as a result of his inability to do his job. Thus, I blew off the "free" UPS shipping and spent the extra bucks to have the K-30 shipped via "Express Mail" to ensure that I GOT IT!

Didn't get the battery charged up until about an hour ago, so I got a very late start on trying it out. I haven't figured out how to post any pics here on the forum yet, but I have the ability to slap up a quick web-page on our web-space just to show pictures. It's easy for me, so I figured I'd do that instead of trying to figure out how to post the pictures here. I'll do that later, sometime when I'm not about to fall asleep!

So, I got the battery charged and installed, and then slapped the 32GB memory card in, and then walked through the "initial settings" of language/location/date/time, and then managed to set it to shoot both RAW and JPEG. Other than that, I just turned it on, and let IT choose all the settings. Now, it's late, but I at least wanted to try this thing out, so I just started shooting random stuff around the house, about seventy pics in quick succession, getting a "feel" for the auto-focus and how the camera "works"...feeling the button pushed down half-way, etc.

There's essentially no "real" light to speak of in the cabin at night, just the light from our collection of old 50s lamps (none of which has more than a 40W bulb in it, so that the ancient fiberglass shades don't scorch). WIthout triggering the flash at all, the K-30 just amazed me by how much light it can take in, how "bright" these pics turned out, basically almost shooting in the dark.

Here's the page with a sampling of the first pics I was able to rattle off: First shots from Pentax K-30

Now, keep in mind none of these shots are really "keepers"...just me letting the camera do essentially everything by itself...I was just trying to get a feel for the beast. Tried to put them on the page full-rez, but they wouldn't "take"...had to reduce the dpi from 300 to 72, but that's all. No "processing", so other than size, they're just what the K-30 put out. I'll leave these up there on that page for a day or two so y'all can see 'em, and then yank 'em after I've figured out a few more things and learn to post some better shots here.

I can't wait until DAYLIGHT tomorrow so I can take this jewel outside and see what it'll do with REAL light! Haven't been this excited in quite awhile.

So here's to the adventure of learning how to use this thing! One of the things I ordered was a set of four books (the four Kelby "The Digital Photography Book" volumes) as well as the Forum-recommended "Understanding Exposure" by Peterson. Figure those oughta at least give me some idea of what's what. I've got my reading/learning cut out for me!

Oh, and a quick question: I didn't see the post that says if you buy your stuff from B & H you get your forum membership upgraded until after I'd already ordered the camera and an assortment of goodies (LowePro bag, Tiffen filter set, etc.). Am I just outa luck there, and have to wait until I can order some more goodies? No biggie, if so. I've got my eye on a really cool Vanguard tripod with a "pistol grip" head adjustment that I think will be what I order next. I'll just make sure I go through the link on that post before I order.

Thanks for bein' there, y'all...this is turning out to be quite the adventure, indeed. Looking forward to taking some REAL pictures soon.

01-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your new Pentax. I know what you mean about low light, it really is amazing. Enjoy!
01-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #3

which lens did you get with the K30?
01-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I got the weather-resistant 18-135mm kit.

I'm going to live with that lens alone for a few weeks while I learn the camera's controls. I'm looking at getting the SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited and the SMCP-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited (at least I have those two and a coupla more bookmarked on B&H's website.)

So far I'm amazed at the range of the 18-135mm, and just how sharp it is, even when there's essentially no light to work with.

I'm about to "take it outside" for the first time and try some shots outdoors. I have some benches out about 50 feet from my deck that I put bird-seed out on every morning. I'll see what I can get as far as Cardinals, Chickadees and Titmouses. And deer. Have whole family groups of deer who live on/near our place...they usually come for a snack of bird-seed every day.

01-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #5

That's what I love about the camera it is great for indoor shooting with low light. I got mine a few days ago it was like Christmas Day.
01-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think I finally got the "upload" thing figured out. Had to re-size everything, kinda a bummer to have to crop 'em all down, the camera's so darn magnificent and sharp! At any rate, there's some outdoor pics in the "album" link here:
beebs's Album: K-30 Photos: 18-135MM WR kit lens - PentaxForums.com

Looks like those few pics took up pretty much all the space I'm allowed. Still tryin' to figure this all out!
01-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
aww, those look nice! Mine was supposed to come in today...but i dont thunk it is going to I might be able to pick it up tonight, otherwise I have to wait through the weekend!!! I want my pentax!
Good luck to ya!
01-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If this is your first go with a modern DSLR, they really are amazing pieces of engineering. And to add that you have WR set up for not a ton of money just adds to the value equation. Now that you have your initial investment taken care of, there's no additional cost to snapping away as much as you want to learn the things that you need to. It's a great excuse to go exploring or even to appreciate the little things around you that you might otherwise take for granted. Sounds like you're having fun - that's the main thing!

01-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Indeed I am. I've still got a few more repairs to do on the workspace before I can get the lights built, etc., but it's coming along. I've been having to do other things last few days, so I haven't got to shoot as much as I want. Hopefully this weekend will allow me some time out with it to do some of the "snapping away". And yes, my first "digital" SLR. I have to admit, the "freedom" of not having to worry if each photo is a perfect shot (and that I'm still going to have to pay to have it developed and printed) has opened up a whole new world, really.

Hope that all of you who are still waiting on your new Pentax babies get them soon and have as much fun as I am!