Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #1

Disney World

i will be going to Disney what lens should i take i have the k-30 and the Pentax 16-50mm and sigma 10-20mm

01-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

If only one the Pentax 16-50, though I would take both myself!
01-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Take them all!
Why wouldn't you?
Disney is a few miles from me...last time I was there, I didn't see any "Only One Lens Allowed" signs!!!
01-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
yes i know that i just dont want to carry all 4 of my lenses and my camera bag i just want to have fun

01-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bring a point and shoot and have fun. If you are going to WDW you are spending a lot of money. Enjoy your time with your family. I learned this from experience. There is a lot to do and changing lenses ( and lugging gear) should not be one of them. That's just my opinion.
01-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

16-50 should pretty much take care of almost all that you'd want to do.
01-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

That's where a nice bridge camera comes in reeeaaallll handy.
01-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I would take the 10-20 to that carnival atmosphere. You will want wide, and close.

01-24-2013, 03:45 AM   #9

Last year I had a 18-55 and a 70-300MM lens with me into Magic Kingdom, and they where both good. Don't think I'll survived smaller or bigger. Even though the 70-300 was a bit too big. In the end I took a lot of shots with my standard canon camera. A 10-20MM lens is way too small! Especially during the parade and you want a close-up like this one(24,8MM with the canon):
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A1000 IS  Photo 
01-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #10

Original Poster
so should i just use the 16-50mm or i can let my wife carry the camera bag
01-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
Emperor and Senpai

Well, if just one that 16-50 is going to be a good one, and with it weather sealed just in case of rain then you're good.
01-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Bring a point and shoot and have fun. If you are going to WDW you are spending a lot of money. Enjoy your time with your family. I learned this from experience. There is a lot to do and changing lenses ( and lugging gear) should not be one of them. That's just my opinion.
Now I would take the other opinion, you are spending a lot of money on a "once in a lifetime" holiday, why not take your most expensive camera. Seriously, WSW is a very photogenic place and there are loads of forums/websites dedicated to photography there.

You want to be as wide as possible for the scenery, but a zoom is good for Animal Kingdom and the parades. I would go with the 16-50 for most days but try one day using your ultra wide.

Also you need a fast lens if you want to take some photos on the dark rides (flash not allowed).

But, yes, remember to enjoy yourself and not get tied up in your photography.
01-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by makingplansfor Quote

But, yes, remember to enjoy yourself and not get tied up in your photography.

True! I ended up in Seaworld for 2 days(two days for one) and really, I needed those two days and still haven't seen all shows, but two shows&rest of the park. Disney is much more expensive then Seaworld, if you really want to enjoy both, take two days at least. For Disney the auctions are better then for Seaworld, more days the 'cheaper' tickets gets. If you have the money&time try those tickets also the park hopper which gives you the opportunity to switch between parks, if it is your first time to Disney&you just go for one day, don't try this ticket but really choose one park. Those park hoppers are easy if you go more then 3 days to a Disney park. And then you have more time to switch between lenses.
01-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I would say that the DA* b/c it is weather sealed so if you do some water rides or anything like that you don't have to worry.

The other thing I would recommend, that I didn't have when I brought my daughter there last year was an external flash. Most of the little character photo ops are setup in such a way that without an external flash you will get lackluster results (and might be more inclined to buying Disney's photographers' pictures). This is probably more important if you have a daughter who wants to get her picture taken with all the princesses and stuff.

Another thing that might be useful is something with a little more reach, I am thinking that 100 mm would have been perfect for the parades. And if you are going with your kids, the trick I figured out after a couple of days was to leave the kid with an adult on one side and to go on the opposite side of the street and down the route a little bit so that you can get some good shots of them interacting with the characters. If you stay on the same side, the parade route will be so packed that you will be standing right next to your subject so it will be difficult to get a good shot. A longer lens will also come in handy if you do animal kingdom.
01-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by makingplansfor Quote
Now I would take the other opinion, you are spending a lot of money on a "once in a lifetime" holiday, why not take your most expensive camera. Seriously, WSW is a very photogenic place and there are loads of forums/websites dedicated to photography there.
Our last trip to WDW we had days with a P&S and days with the Pentax/zoom lens. Aside from the comment below, the dslr was not (for me) a big issue. But we are old enough to not need a lot of small child items, so were not encumbered with a lot of other items, as some guests are. That might have made a difference for us, if we had to be bringing strollers, diaper bags, and other food items, etc. Whatever is optimum for you is best, I suppose. I wish I would have looked at the photo websites a little more.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I would say that the DA* b/c it is weather sealed so if you do some water rides or anything like that you don't have to worry.
I concur, as I took my non-WR set up and had to place it in a ziploc for part of the time. Probably not a huge deal, but just one more thing nonetheless.

Though I've been to Orlando only 4-5 times, I've always had a great time there.