Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12
Why no 3rd party k30 books?

Hi all,

I've just said hello on the welcome forum, and posed this question which I will repeat here.

When you look at the various Canon and Nikon models, and even some other makes, there seems to be a plethora of guide books out there to help you get the most out of each camera. These seem really useful and digestable to me. I'd like there to be something similar available for K30s. Can't find anything tho. Anyone recommend one?

01-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,872
I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a printed book for a Pentax camera since the K-7, maybe the K20D.

Check out the e-book from AlettA.

AlettA Photographic

http://k10dbook.com/pentaxsample30.pdf
01-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,772
I believe the last guide book published was for the k-7. Someplace there was a post here where someone asked the Magic Lantern folks about a k-5 book and they emphatically stated no more Pentax books. There was an e-book self published for k-x and I think maybe k-5 do a search for Pentax e-book.

The reason there are no guide books for Pentax is because:
  1. Pentax cameras are so easy to operate that we don't need no stink'in guide books.
  2. Pentax users have traditionally (at least the last 10 years) been diehard enthusiast photographers who stuck with Pentax despite all their faults, and of course enthusiasts don't need no stink'in guide books.
  3. Or it could be that there are not enough buyers of Pentax guide books to make it profitable since Pentax has maybe 3% market share.
Take your pick
01-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,874
You won't need a guide book, you've got this lovely forum right here
We have reviews, a lot of good threads in the archives, and if you can't find an answer there, you can just make a new thread.

01-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
PentaxJax's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eastern shore
Posts: 135
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Check out the e-book from AlettA.
I will second the AlettA book.

I have one for my K5. Most of the information is covered in the manual that comes with the camera but I found his way of explaining each option and setting much easier to understand and relate. For the price of the download I would highly recommend it.
01-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 96
I just got my k-30 today...finally! I am 90 pages into the instruction manual ...still got a little less than 200 pages to go...hehheh. Maybe after I finish it I will check out the ebook posted above.
01-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
PentaxJax's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eastern shore
Posts: 135
QuoteOriginally posted by spectamaniac Quote
I just got my k-30 today...finally! I am 90 pages into the instruction manual
90 pages on the first day. I dont think you will need the eBook.
Congrats on your new camera I know you will enjoy it.
01-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 573
It would be nice if there was a Gary Friedman equivalent that shot Pentax. Gary makes great manuals for the Sony's.

That said, I think the Pentax supplied manuals are pretty good.

01-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
patrick9's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Murfreesboro Tennessee
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,353
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Pentax cameras are so easy to operate that we don't need no stink'in guide books. Pentax users have traditionally (at least the last 10 years) been diehard enthusiast photographers who stuck with Pentax despite all their faults, and of course enthusiasts don't need no stink'in guide books.
I pick number two
QuoteOriginally posted by spectamaniac Quote
I am 90 pages into the instruction manual ...still got a little less than 200 pages to go
Your reading the book???
01-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 84
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a printed book for a Pentax camera since the K-7, maybe the K20D.

Check out the e-book from AlettA.

AlettA Photographic

http://k10dbook.com/pentaxsample30.pdf
I just tried to download the K30 e-book from AlettA Photographic

I went through PayPal.........tried to download after paying..................nothing happened, now I can't open comcast email.

I see NO way to contact AlettA about this......

Ok, email has been fixed...............now I am at the download page. It has given me a password to download the book. Nothing happens! Getting frustrated....

Still see NO way to contact anyone.

Ok, they responded to my return email................they had to send a direct link for me to download the e-book and I have it on the computer now. Hopefully my feeble brain will understand it all...

Last edited by UncleRed; 01-30-2013 at 01:29 PM.
02-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
Senior Member
tahoejeepmom's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tahoe
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 100
I am one of those people that like to put things together with out instructions. You don't need a book all you need in some time and this site. You can learn a lot on your tube too.
02-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Candiac, QC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 338
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleRed Quote
I just tried to download the K30 e-book from AlettA Photographic

I went through PayPal.........tried to download after paying..................nothing happened, now I can't open comcast email.

I see NO way to contact AlettA about this......

Ok, email has been fixed...............now I am at the download page. It has given me a password to download the book. Nothing happens! Getting frustrated....

Still see NO way to contact anyone.

Ok, they responded to my return email................they had to send a direct link for me to download the e-book and I have it on the computer now. Hopefully my feeble brain will understand it all...
Hi. I'm having exactly the same problem as UncleRed. Download with the password says that the webpage does not exist. Still waiting for another response to my email. I really hate this way of doing business. At least you got something, I didn't get anything yet for my money.
02-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #13
Senior Member
SirBismuth's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 126
QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
Hi. I'm having exactly the same problem as UncleRed. Download with the password says that the webpage does not exist. Still waiting for another response to my email. I really hate this way of doing business. At least you got something, I didn't get anything yet for my money.
I also bought the book, and had the same issue, just emailed them and a coupla hours later the author sent me the download link. If you don't get a response in a reasonable timeframe, email them again.

B
02-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #14
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Candiac, QC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 338
It seems that the file was corrupted. It's working now. Take care.
Mike.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-30, k-50, pentax k30, pentax k50
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd party candidate: Jesus jeffkrol General Talk 7 09-01-2012 06:07 AM
3rd party batteries slackercruster Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 12 07-20-2012 05:32 PM
3rd party lens question slr_neophyte Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 01-23-2012 09:09 PM
Why there is no 3rd party WR lens? ducdao Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 12-08-2011 03:45 AM
Why No 3rd party 67-645 adapters? gurtch Pentax Medium Format 4 02-24-2011 01:31 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top