Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #1

Why no 3rd party k30 books?

Hi all,

I've just said hello on the welcome forum, and posed this question which I will repeat here.

When you look at the various Canon and Nikon models, and even some other makes, there seems to be a plethora of guide books out there to help you get the most out of each camera. These seem really useful and digestable to me. I'd like there to be something similar available for K30s. Can't find anything tho. Anyone recommend one?

01-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a printed book for a Pentax camera since the K-7, maybe the K20D.

Check out the e-book from AlettA.

AlettA Photographic

http://k10dbook.com/pentaxsample30.pdf
01-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the last guide book published was for the k-7. Someplace there was a post here where someone asked the Magic Lantern folks about a k-5 book and they emphatically stated no more Pentax books. There was an e-book self published for k-x and I think maybe k-5 do a search for Pentax e-book.

The reason there are no guide books for Pentax is because:
  1. Pentax cameras are so easy to operate that we don't need no stink'in guide books.
  2. Pentax users have traditionally (at least the last 10 years) been diehard enthusiast photographers who stuck with Pentax despite all their faults, and of course enthusiasts don't need no stink'in guide books.
  3. Or it could be that there are not enough buyers of Pentax guide books to make it profitable since Pentax has maybe 3% market share.
Take your pick
01-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You won't need a guide book, you've got this lovely forum right here
We have reviews, a lot of good threads in the archives, and if you can't find an answer there, you can just make a new thread.

01-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I will second the AlettA book.

I have one for my K5. Most of the information is covered in the manual that comes with the camera but I found his way of explaining each option and setting much easier to understand and relate. For the price of the download I would highly recommend it.
01-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I just got my k-30 today...finally! I am 90 pages into the instruction manual ...still got a little less than 200 pages to go...hehheh. Maybe after I finish it I will check out the ebook posted above.
01-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spectamaniac Quote
I just got my k-30 today...finally! I am 90 pages into the instruction manual
90 pages on the first day. I dont think you will need the eBook.
Congrats on your new camera I know you will enjoy it.
01-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It would be nice if there was a Gary Friedman equivalent that shot Pentax. Gary makes great manuals for the Sony's.

That said, I think the Pentax supplied manuals are pretty good.

01-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Pentax cameras are so easy to operate that we don't need no stink'in guide books. Pentax users have traditionally (at least the last 10 years) been diehard enthusiast photographers who stuck with Pentax despite all their faults, and of course enthusiasts don't need no stink'in guide books.
I pick number two
QuoteOriginally posted by spectamaniac Quote
I am 90 pages into the instruction manual ...still got a little less than 200 pages to go
Your reading the book???
01-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a printed book for a Pentax camera since the K-7, maybe the K20D.

AlettA Photographic

http://k10dbook.com/pentaxsample30.pdf
I just tried to download the K30 e-book from AlettA Photographic

I went through PayPal.........tried to download after paying..................nothing happened, now I can't open comcast email.

I see NO way to contact AlettA about this......

Ok, email has been fixed...............now I am at the download page. It has given me a password to download the book. Nothing happens! Getting frustrated....

Still see NO way to contact anyone.

Ok, they responded to my return email................they had to send a direct link for me to download the e-book and I have it on the computer now. Hopefully my feeble brain will understand it all...

Last edited by UncleRed; 01-30-2013 at 01:29 PM.
02-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #11

I am one of those people that like to put things together with out instructions. You don't need a book all you need in some time and this site. You can learn a lot on your tube too.
02-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleRed Quote
I just tried to download the K30 e-book from AlettA Photographic

I went through PayPal.........tried to download after paying..................nothing happened, now I can't open comcast email.

I see NO way to contact AlettA about this......

Ok, email has been fixed...............now I am at the download page. It has given me a password to download the book. Nothing happens! Getting frustrated....

Still see NO way to contact anyone.

Ok, they responded to my return email................they had to send a direct link for me to download the e-book and I have it on the computer now. Hopefully my feeble brain will understand it all...
Hi. I'm having exactly the same problem as UncleRed. Download with the password says that the webpage does not exist. Still waiting for another response to my email. I really hate this way of doing business. At least you got something, I didn't get anything yet for my money.
02-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
Hi. I'm having exactly the same problem as UncleRed. Download with the password says that the webpage does not exist. Still waiting for another response to my email. I really hate this way of doing business. At least you got something, I didn't get anything yet for my money.
I also bought the book, and had the same issue, just emailed them and a coupla hours later the author sent me the download link. If you don't get a response in a reasonable timeframe, email them again.

B
02-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #14
Site Supporter

It seems that the file was corrupted. It's working now. Take care.
Mike.