Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #1

Need a case for my K-30

Hello all, I'm new here and new to DSLR photography in general. A couple of days ago I took delivery of a K-30 and 18-135mm lens. Now I need a case, and the more compact the better. Can anyone suggest a decent one to go for? Thanks

01-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Forum Member

The size depends how much more kit you want to carry. if you get a big bag then you are more likely to fill it with rubbish. Personally i have a lowpro shoulder bag and i am very pleased with it. They do bags of all sizes
01-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

thinktank
01-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People often start with Lowepro bags, they make many, are a decent quality, and don't cost too much. You should get one where your camera will fit snugly, but it also has some space to put in some extra memory cards and maybe another lens. Later you can upgrade as you find what specific needs you have and how much gear you lug around with you
I also have a smaller Golla bag. Its very stylish, but its not very practical, the way the compartments are set up.

01-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by saint_david Quote
Hello all, I'm new here and new to DSLR photography in general. A couple of days ago I took delivery of a K-30 and 18-135mm lens. Now I need a case, and the more compact the better. Can anyone suggest a decent one to go for? Thanks
The followig bag does well its job:
Lowepro Toploader TLZ1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

I can fit my K-7 and DA18-135mm. In the outside pocket, I can put a spare battery, the battery charger and a spare memory card.

The bag is padded and I have used mine for over 2 years.

Hope that the comment may help.
01-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Domke FXA

Perfect for the K30 w/18-135 attached.

I use it for my Kr 18-135 attached. Still room for spare batteries and cards in the pockets. I also carry a lens pen and 2 small lens (M50 and A28) as well
01-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by saint_david Quote
You will get as many opinions here as there are bags, I would suggest looking at the bag review section. And also think what is your uses for the camera. I use more than one setup myself. I'll use a Tenba sling bag if I'm going on a long hike and need to carry multiple lenses, food, etc. I've got a few Lowepro and Pearstone lens cases to strap to my belt for smaller excursions when I don't need more than a couple of extra lenses. I use a non camera bag (a padded bag designed as a cooler) with lens in cases or soft wrapped when I'm just carrying it in the car and don't need to carry much while shooting. I've got a Lowepro bag that just fits the camera and mounted lens if I'm taking it into a sporting event. I got that bag as part of an ebay deal, a lot of nice bags (and crappy ones) can be picked up very cheaply that way.
01-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suggest getting 2 bags. One that holds everything camera-related (no tripod) and perhaps with an extra hole to expand into. The second is smaller and holds the body & lens, plus another lens or flash. (Roomy if you have the camera in your hand).

So, you have one bag where you know where everything is, and another that you use on any particular outing.

01-31-2013, 02:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I suggest getting 2 bags. One that holds everything camera-related (no tripod) and perhaps with an extra hole to expand into. The second is smaller and holds the body & lens, plus another lens or flash. (Roomy if you have the camera in your hand).

So, you have one bag where you know where everything is, and another that you use on any particular outing.
At home, I'd prefer everything to stay in a dry-cabinet as HK can get quite humid.

For travel, this is exactly what I do and find it works very well. My hold-all is a Think Tank Urban Disguise 60:

Urban Disguise 60 V2.0

My day bags are a couple of different-sized Tamrac shoulder bags, one of which I choose based on how much I want to carry:

Amazon.com: Tamrac 3535 Express 5 Camera Bag -Khaki: Camera & Photo

and

Amazon.com: Tamrac 3537 Express 7 Camera Bag -Khaki: Camera & Photo

I can see an Urban Disguise 35 in my future though:

Urban Disguise 35 V2.0
01-31-2013, 03:17 AM   #10

Original Poster
Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I'm leaning towards the lowepro toploader as the price is good but I prefer the Domke, however it's more expensive.
01-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote

This was along the lines of the approach I took when ordering a bag with the K-30. I ended up choosing the LowePro "Event Messenger 250"...I can put everything I have that's photography related in it (except tripod, of course)--the front zipper pocket holds the manual, a small notebook/pen, spare memory card, battery charger, etc., and the slot in the back holds my old Powerbook G4 just fine, and still there's room for another lens (someday!).

At the same time, I also ordered a simple "slip on" padded cover that just protects the camera and its attached lens, something I picked because of the reviews of it on B & H's site, it's called a "Zing". Pads the camera and lens nicely, so that I feel OK with tucking the K-30 behind the driver's seat of the Forester when on the go. The padding is good, and it's easy to slip on/off. There's also a small strap and clip that can attach to the K-30 camera strap, so it can stay within reach when you need to take a quick shot or two.

Good luck!
06-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #12

Hi I'm a newbie to the forum and have just ordered a K30 with 18-135mm lens. I'm can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm also looking at getting a case and to my delight have just found this thread. I'm particularly interested in getting a Zing camera case as I hate lugging around a camera bag when I'm traveling. Any idea what size would be best - a standard or large? And would it better to get the zoom version?
06-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beebs Quote
This was along the lines of the approach I took when ordering a bag with the K-30. I ended up choosing the LowePro "Event Messenger 250"...I can put everything I have that's photography related in it (except tripod, of course)--the front zipper pocket holds the manual, a small notebook/pen, spare memory card, battery charger, etc., and the slot in the back holds my old Powerbook G4 just fine, and still there's room for another lens (someday!).

At the same time, I also ordered a simple "slip on" padded cover that just protects the camera and its attached lens, something I picked because of the reviews of it on B & H's site, it's called a "Zing". Pads the camera and lens nicely, so that I feel OK with tucking the K-30 behind the driver's seat of the Forester when on the go. The padding is good, and it's easy to slip on/off. There's also a small strap and clip that can attach to the K-30 camera strap, so it can stay within reach when you need to take a quick shot or two.

Good luck!
The LowePro Event Messengers are great. I have one, the smallest that has a "tablet slot", I think that's model 150 or something. Fits a good travel-sized kit nicely, and they're quite handy and well thought out. I especially like the two "end pockets" for carrying bottles of water.

As for the "slip on", you're not talking about those "neverready cases" that were so in fashion 2-3 decades ago, are you?