Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, things I noticed are: today I reset the camera again, the menu color theme change dind;t have effect, but once I adjusted EV Bracketing, once I make a photo, I am prevented from changing shutter speed, aperture and ev after the shot. Which normally should be instantly ready for operation if I need to adjust any of these values.

This issue is there when the LCD screen is off. Once the shot is taken, I can't change the mentioned settings unless I quickly go to the menu or info button and back to the main controls. Well anyway, I apologize to be bothering with this here, I think it is not the right thread.
Thank you for your advice.
I found other thread with the exact issue and it appear to be not related to the latest firmware version. It appeared to other person before firmware 1.02

02-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Christos29 Quote
Hello to all!!!
First of all I want to thank all pentaxians for the information held in this forum.
For a noob like me it is very helpfull..

My problem is this: I have a K-30 and at this very moment I am installing the new firmware 1.02. For the last 2 hours I have the "NOW LOADING" message on my screen!!!!!

Is it normal that updating takes so much time?
I read that if a problem occurs during updating, my K-30 will not work at all.

Please someone assures me that everything is OK

Thank you in advance
Hi,

I doubt this is normal, for me it took less than 30 seconds or so. It happened fast and after the reboot I had firmware 1.02 in the cam.
02-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
Hi,

I doubt this is normal, for me it took less than 30 seconds or so. It happened fast and after the reboot I had firmware 1.02 in the cam.
My Battery just went out.
And after I switched my camera on it seemed to work just fine.
My current firmware version is 1.01.
I will just download the file again from pentax site and do the procedure once more.
I hope it will work.
Thank you for you reply.
Cheers to all
02-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Unless I were buying the new 560mm lens, I wouldn't yet bother.

What's the rush?

02-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
Well, things I noticed are: today I reset the camera again, the menu color theme change dind;t have effect, but once I adjusted EV Bracketing, once I make a photo, I am prevented from changing shutter speed, aperture and ev after the shot. Which normally should be instantly ready for operation if I need to adjust any of these values.

This issue is there when the LCD screen is off. Once the shot is taken, I can't change the mentioned settings unless I quickly go to the menu or info button and back to the main controls. Well anyway, I apologize to be bothering with this here, I think it is not the right thread.
Thank you for your advice.
I found other thread with the exact issue and it appear to be not related to the latest firmware version. It appeared to other person before firmware 1.02
I've managed to duplicate your problem, i.e. I can't adjust shutter speed or aperture in modes where I should be able to just after a shot. It does this if you've left the menu option for adjusting the bracketing EV range highlighted and is logical if you think about it. It's waiting for you to take shot no.2 in the sequence so it has to freeze exposure adjust options to be able to have no.2 shot at the right exposure compared to no.1.

Possibly where the confusion may be is that the single shot option is always green i.e. the highlight colour, so you may think it has been selected. The safest option with bracketing is to select 'One-Push Bracketing' in the Custom 2 menu so that the 3 shots are automatically fired off with one quick shutter push, but you definitely have to manually go into the right joypad menu and select 'Single Frame Shooting' or one of the others and OK it when finished with bracketing.

I hope this helps. Otherwise it's all a mystery.
02-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #21

Jesus, the theme is drawn for two pages and no concrete answer to the new firmware for the K30 affects the speed and accuracy of auto focus specifically some lenses (except DA560), prattle about anything and everything not only about what is most important and that is what all felt concretely improve the "general performances," the statement on improving the firmware for "general performance" is a disaster, so why Pentax does not dare to reveal the properties of their upgrades, horror-horror :-( (
02-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
Jesus, the theme is drawn for two pages and no concrete answer to the new firmware for the K30 affects the speed and accuracy of auto focus specifically some lenses (except DA560)( (
Probably because no one has posed the question. I tested my K-30 before and after updating for any changes in AF performance in low light. No difference in PDAF or stills CDAF on 5 AF lenses. Possibly an improvement in movie AF as it seemed to actually work and I had given up on it a while ago as basically not working to any extent, but I forget to test that properly just prior to the update so I wouldn't bet on it but it's definitely not worse.
02-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #23

I ask you whether you have the opportunity to try more than one memory card, to check compatibility which has so far been problematic, built-in checks / viewing two photos simultaneously on the LCD as the K-r, has there been any improvements with expanded focus to AF-C/S, any specific information to benefit from the new firmware????? something concrete!!!!!!!!!!

02-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #24

I put new software ver.1.02 and observations are as follows:

- Fixed / resolved compatibility with memory cards (tested at Transcend SDHC 8GB class6 and SanDisk Ultra SDHC 16GB class10/30MB/s)

- Focus with F lenses a large aperture is a fast + accurate + safe = fantastic (example attached photos)

- Focus with DA lenses is fast + accurate + safe = fantastic (example attached photos)

- Missing viewing / comparing two images simultaneously

- Photographed handheld without a tripod and support (the speed for the demonstration)

PENTAX K-30 + F 50/1,7
2013:02:05 20:47:35
eksp: 0,0167 (1/60) sek.
iris: f/1,7
seal :50 mm
iso: 3200

PENTAX K-30 + DA 17-70/4
2013:02:05 20:50:37
eksp: 0,0769 (1/13) sek.
iris: f/4
seal: 53 mm
iso: 3200

Last edited by mbukal; 02-05-2013 at 12:59 PM.
02-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
- Focus with F lenses a large aperture is a fast + accurate + safe = fantastic (example attached photos)
Can you elaborate the "accurate" part?

I have a FA 50mm f1.4 and have noticed it behaves as if the gears aren't precise enough (not exactly, but that's the quickest way to explain the behavior of it). I wonder if an upgrade could help.

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 02-05-2013 at 04:18 PM.
02-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
I've managed to duplicate your problem, i.e. I can't adjust shutter speed or aperture in modes where I should be able to just after a shot. It does this if you've left the menu option for adjusting the bracketing EV range highlighted and is logical if you think about it. It's waiting for you to take shot no.2 in the sequence so it has to freeze exposure adjust options to be able to have no.2 shot at the right exposure compared to no.1.

Possibly where the confusion may be is that the single shot option is always green i.e. the highlight colour, so you may think it has been selected. The safest option with bracketing is to select 'One-Push Bracketing' in the Custom 2 menu so that the 3 shots are automatically fired off with one quick shutter push, but you definitely have to manually go into the right joypad menu and select 'Single Frame Shooting' or one of the others and OK it when finished with bracketing.

I hope this helps. Otherwise it's all a mystery.

You are so right!
I never had this option before so it didn;t pop to my head it could be the cause. All cameras I used either didn;t had this or I never experimented with such feature.
Now it works as should!
Thank you very much!
02-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #27

no-no-no, compatibility with memory cards is not resolved, after a couple of fire power on the camera and a message appears on the LCD of the defect on the card and the whole apparatus is locked, the horror, I noticed that the battery level indicator began more than walk all the way to the green half yellow, after extinguishing apparatus with indicator to yellow and rebooting after a while the indicator remains at very long zelenome (using D-BH109 + eneloop), lens F50/ 1.7 from the first focus / no roll in low light and high ISO, "super fast" high speed focus(vs. 17-70/4, which is also determined, and the exact focus of the first/no roll, but slower and has SDM)

Last edited by mbukal; 02-06-2013 at 05:47 AM.
02-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K30 user still with the original 1.00 firmware here.

I'm approaching 10,000 clicks with my K30. I have no issues with it. I'm getting great battery life. It's only freezed up twice ever (both times around the 5000 mark, and since then none). I've taken it into rain, snow, and sub-zero temperatures with no issues. The AF through the viewfinder is fast, smooth, and accurate on all my lenses, and I only ever use the LCD in manual focus mode for focus peaking.

In short, I'm quite happy with how my unit is performing. I see no reason to potentially mess with it by installing this new firmware.

I'll wait for a more critical update.