Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-30 focus screen

I had some annoying dirt/lint/?? on the focus screen and seem to have made a mess of trying to clean it in situ. Of course doesn't affect photos but I find it quite annoying.

Anybody tried removing the focus screen to replace or clean? If so how easy is it and where can instructions to do so be found?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

02-06-2013, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's only slightly resembling the K-5 construction (I think it is) dust gets between the focus screen and prism really easily and gets stuck. I would ray it's pretty easy to take the screen out but there is always a risk as they are very delicate.
Instructions can be found here:
--Pentax K5/K7/K10D/K20D/K30/ISTD Focusing Screen Installation Instruction--
02-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
If it's only slightly resembling the K-5 construction (I think it is) dust gets between the focus screen and prism really easily and gets stuck. I would ray it's pretty easy to take the screen out but there is always a risk as they are very delicate.
Instructions can be found here:
--Pentax K5/K7/K10D/K20D/K30/ISTD Focusing Screen Installation Instruction--
Thank you!
02-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
Thank you!
Just work slow and systematic and you probably will be fine. Blowing on the screen with a rocket blower when taken out should get rid of the dust. Be careful not to touch anywhere in the focusing area with the fingers or tools or the risk of damage will be sever, the small flange is a good way of holding it. Be ready if the hinge where the screen lies swings open pretty hard at occasions, happened to me but luckily my screen survived despite flying out on the table cloth.

I've learned to live with the dust in my viewfinder instead, it's way less work.

02-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Just work slow and systematic and you probably will be fine. Blowing on the screen with a rocket blower when taken out should get rid of the dust. Be careful not to touch anywhere in the focusing area with the fingers or tools or the risk of damage will be sever, the small flange is a good way of holding it. Be ready if the hinge where the screen lies swings open pretty hard at occasions, happened to me but luckily my screen survived despite flying out on the table cloth.

I've learned to live with the dust in my viewfinder instead, it's way less work.
Well in future I think I will do just that but the smudge I made in trying to clean it is a bit nasty. I may combine it with a change of the focus screen to the one with a grid. We will see.

Thanks,

Bob
02-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
Well in future I think I will do just that but the smudge I made in trying to clean it is a bit nasty. I may combine it with a change of the focus screen to the one with a grid. We will see.

Thanks,

Bob
I changed to ML-60, the one with grid.
Very easy to change and it's very good.
02-07-2013, 04:39 AM   #7

I have this problem with th Kr. Instead of doing it myself I thought of sending it to Precision Camera for a professional cleaning. I contacted you them they responded with a base price near $250.00 plus parts if needed and shipping. Ended up doing the cleaning myself took about 45 minutes and no more garbage in the OV.

02-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
I have this problem with th Kr. Instead of doing it myself I thought of sending it to Precision Camera for a professional cleaning. I contacted you them they responded with a base price near $250.00 plus parts if needed and shipping. Ended up doing the cleaning myself took about 45 minutes and no more garbage in the OV.
For cleaning? Wow, I should start a focus screen cleaning service.
02-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
I changed to ML-60, the one with grid.
Very easy to change and it's very good.
Yup that's the one. Glad to know you like it and it was easy to do.
02-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
I was told $200 but that was for a complete cleaning including sensor filter etc. Still outrageous! What did you use to clean it and did you remove the screen to do it?