Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-30 with Nikon SB-20 flash

May be a little bit unusual combination, but I still have a Nikon SB-20 flash and consider to use it instead of an expensive new flash.
Guide Number is about 100 ft(30 m). To my knowledge the AF assist red LED cannot be used and the only supported mode with non-Nikon is the manual mode.
For me the flash power looks impressive and the adjustable diffusor from 28 over 35 to 85 mm (= 18...55 mm APS-C) fits more or less to my Pentax 18-135 WR lens.

Does anybody else use this flash and likes to share experience and best practises K-30 settings?
My first experience is good as long as you know exactly how to adjust the correct flash power (full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16).
The rear display on the flash can help to find correct settings, but I still have to get a feeling for best camera/flash settings.

Regards, Peter

02-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
One thing you have going for you with that flash is non-TTL Auto mode, the flash has a sensor that will automatically limit the flash exposure. You just match the aperture and ISO settings between the flash and the camera and the flash takes care of the exposure in most situations.
02-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There might be a problem using a Nikon flash with a Pentax camera. The Nikon flashes have digital contacts in the exact same position as Pentax have them but the signals that go through them are completely different. I don't think it will cause any damage but it might result in some unpredictable behaviour as the flash and camera try to speak to each other in different languages as it were.

If you can somehow prevent all the contacts (except the centre one) from making contact then all should be OK. This might be done by putting an hot-shoe to x-sync cable adapter between the flash and the camera, (assuming that the flash has an x-sync cable). You can also use a generic extension cable, which will have only the centre contact, but then you need a flash brackt to mount the flash off camera.

If you do not intend to eventually sell the flash and you won;t be using it with a nikon camera again you might want to consider removing the three digital contacts so as to avoid problems.
02-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
There might be a problem using a Nikon flash with a Pentax camera. The Nikon flashes have digital contacts in the exact same position as Pentax have them but the signals that go through them are completely different. I don't think it will cause any damage but it might result in some unpredictable behaviour as the flash and camera try to speak to each other in different languages as it were.
This is not my experience.

No problem whatsoever. I've been using SB-24, SB-25, SB-26, and even an ancient SB-15 with Pentax K10D and K-7, Canon G5, Ricoh GX200 and GXR. I also use Sunpak, Metz, and Vivitar flashes with modules for Olympus, Minolta, Canon, Yashica, and Nikon with the said cameras.

If there is any signal, the cameras just ignore them. None of them has ever got confused.