Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K30 better back up than K10?

So I shoot with a K5 and have a K10 as a back up. However, I have been scheduling more weddings for this year (I shoot families, kids and High School Seniors mostly) I am concerned with the K10 as a back up mostly because of the noise at high ISO. So I started looking into getting a different back up. So my question is, is the k30 better than the k10 as far a s IQ? Would it be a better back up than the 10? I'd love a K5iis, but not sure if I want to put out the money with rumor of a FF coming out. I'm sure I'm going to want that as my main camera when the time comes. Just not sure what to do as far as back up, main body. Would love to try one, but don't know of any place local that sells Pentax.

02-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes. The K30 is much better than the K10. I know because I have them all.
However, with the K10 you get the grip and that gives you extra shooting, and for me a grip is a requirement.

However, for a true back up, two K5s can't be beat - and that is what I use day to day.

The K30 goes to my husband.
The K10 is in retirement along side my two ist-D.

The cheapest solution is to pick of a K5 classic and a grip.
A better solution would be a K5IIs and a grip.

We won't see whatever camera Pentax has up their sleeve for at least 3-6 months.
02-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, the more K5 cameras you have, the more grips, batteries and settings can be shared.
Once you go beyond the thought of an additional camera as a "back-up" and start to think in "Dual Use", you will never go back!
02-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, that K5iis looks great. I'd love to get my hands on one and try it. I don't have a grip for my 10, but do for my k5. Use it mostly for the few weddings I've done.

02-07-2013, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How to go Dual Camera?

This holster makes using an additional camera a breeze!!!

Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40 V2.0 (Black) 876 B&H Photo

The flap opens away, and you can get the camera in and out in a second! I put the DA*16-50 on a K5 with grip, and it fits perfectly.

I use a Think Tank Lens Changer on the side of the Digital Holster with my DA*50-135

Think Tank Photo Lens Changer 50 V2.0 (Black) 151 B&H Photo

Then I walk around with the other K5 with the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8

Awesome combination(s).

Go and look at the Think Tank stuff if you want to consider dual-body shooting.
02-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
Yeah, that K5iis looks great. I'd love to get my hands on one and try it. I don't have a grip for my 10, but do for my k5. Use it mostly for the few weddings I've done.
Seriously Beth, make the jump to dual bodies...you will LOVE it and be 100x more productive.

02-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Tamrac belt with my Think Tank Stuff, but the Think Tank belt is great too and comes in more sizes!

02-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh dang, Yeah, your set up sounds sweet! Yeah, I think I need to just get a K5iis. Actually my next wedding is mid March. If I don't bite the bullet and buy something before then, I'll probably rent another k5 for it. Then look into the iis and the Holster.
02-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
Oh dang, Yeah, your set up sounds sweet! Yeah, I think I need to just get a K5iis. Actually my next wedding is mid March. If I don't bite the bullet and buy something before then, I'll probably rent another k5 for it. Then look into the iis and the Hollister.
Awesome!
02-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, so it seems I've "sold" you on the dual-body use, but check out these images of the holster!

Here is one of my K5 cameras in the holster. The lens changer is to the right, and slips into a slot on the holster. The changer is a pretty wide open sleeve to put a lens and change it!

Here, the K5 sits down in the holster without unzipping for extra room. The neat felt pad, protects the LCD, and I can put my straps above the LCD so that it doesn't scratch.

Look at how nice the K5 and grip sits in there!

Nice insides!

Here you can see the expansion zipper in case you need extra room - like if I had my DA*50-135 in there.

A cool holster like this, makes shooting two bodies a breeze!
02-07-2013, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great, thanks for the pictures. I was wondering how it fit with the 50-135. I never wear cameras around my neck, even when shooting with two. So the holster seems like a great addition to my gear!