Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

Popular uses for the green button?

that and I'm a little stumped about the depth of field (digital and otherwise) preview (is that what I mean?) or some form of preview...
I'm not certain what I am seeing/looking for. It's terrible, really, I've read about it but well... it didn't stick.

But I go back to the question about popular uses for the green button.

Thanks guys!

02-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Usually people use it to meter, especially with manual lenses where stop down metering is required. On my K-01 I'm experimenting with the green button enabling focus peaking, but I'm not quite sure I like it
02-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
On my K-5 I routinely use it for putting my exposure compensation to zero.
02-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Set the depth of field preview to optical, not digital in the custom settings.
Set the camera to aperture mode and aperture as wide open as possible with your lens.
Focus on a close object.
Try the optical preview - nothing happens!

Now set the aperture to f/11 (for example...)
Try the optical preview - the viewfinder darkens a lot, but also notice that the object you are looking at becomes a bit sharper and also you have more depth of field!

So basically, all that is happening is that you are looking through your lens with it stopped down to f/11. You can confirm this by looking at your lens from the front as you set the optical preview - the aperture will get smaller as you set the preview on.

Digital preview is just taking a photo that doesn't get saved.

02-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Digital preview is just taking a photo that doesn't get saved.
Still don't understand the point of digital preview. Just take the shots and review. Is there something else I am missing?
02-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use it to trigger the ejector seat in my car. Seriously, they never know what hit 'em.
02-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, I also use it to reset the AF point and set the Ev to 0 and for resetting P shift and setting EV to 0. Basically, its an extra button that other brands don't have. If you don't like it, fine, don't use it. I mean, nobody will ever force you to use it. But people using other brands often wish they had one extra button.

02-13-2013, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Still don't understand the point of digital preview. Just take the shots and review. Is there something else I am missing?
Digital preview - why?
If you have the blinkies and the histogram turned on you can use it to check exposure and (if you zoom in) focus. This is mainly if your subject isn't changing, like when you're shooting architecture and using a tripod or circular polariser or a flash, for instance.

The advantage is that you don't save your 'test shots' to the memory card, so you don't have to delete them or sort through them later on. When shooting architecture, you often take hundreds of shots and don't really want to have to bracket each shot and then wade through 3x more photos at the computer. Easier to check and choose in the field.
02-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Digital preview - why?
If you have the blinkies and the histogram turned on you can use it to check exposure and (if you zoom in) focus. This is mainly if your subject isn't changing, like when you're shooting architecture and using a tripod or circular polariser or a flash, for instance.

The advantage is that you don't save your 'test shots' to the memory card, so you don't have to delete them or sort through them later on. When shooting architecture, you often take hundreds of shots and don't really want to have to bracket each shot and then wade through 3x more photos at the computer. Easier to check and choose in the field.
Good points especially about bracketed shots. Thanks.
02-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I wish I could use it to automatically move the histogram/exposure to rightmost side (ETR button).
02-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Green button uses: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html.
07-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #12

Personally I hate two things about these modern digital camera: No dedicated DOF preview [I think my k100 had one....miss that body!] and no threaded attachment for a remote shutter release. Why are those things so hard to incorporate? I have two remotes but they don't work from BEHIND the camera, where I usually stand.

As for the green button, I've always used it to overcome my first complaint: As a DOF preview button.
07-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

never use it.

I hope the can add exposure bracket or shooting mode.
07-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rafael Quote
Personally I hate two things about these modern digital camera: No dedicated DOF preview [I think my k100 had one....miss that body!] and no threaded attachment for a remote shutter release. Why are those things so hard to incorporate? I have two remotes but they don't work from BEHIND the camera, where I usually stand.

As for the green button, I've always used it to overcome my first complaint: As a DOF preview button.
Hmmmm, K-01 to the rescue: the "red" button can be programmed as DOF preview button, leaving the "green" button to the other stuff that it's usually used for

That said, the K10D and *istD had DOF preview on the on/off switch around the shutter. I thought that was a good idea, and had expected all the K20/7/5/30/50 to carry that over, are you saying that that's not the case?
07-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
On my K-r, the green button was set to DOF (viewfinder) preview. I didn't truly like that because there are other important uses for the green button that I now locked myself out of using. On the K-30 (this IS the K-30 section), my green button is left to its default function, which is mostly a quick way to zero previously selected exposure adjustments. I am shooting RAW all the time anyhow, so the RAW/Fx button is not needed to save RAW data. I reprogrammed this button to do DOF preview.