Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-30 First Impressions Coming from a K-x

I knew the K-30 was more advanced than the K-x, but there are some things about it that just blew me away in comparison. Granted some could just be 9 months of having nothing in between coloring my impressions, but here are my thoughts

HDR (bracketing) - this seems a LOT faster than the K-x. The first time I tried bracketing a scene, the camera's BAPBAPBAP surprised the hell out of me.

Low light ability - I found myself hand-holding shots with a 200mm prime lens and getting shots at stupid-low exposures. I as hitting stuff hand-held at 1/50 of a second at night that the K-x would have just laughed at and been like "Suuuuuuuuuure I will. What are you smoking?"

Quieter shutter - The K-30 is still kind of noisy, but the K-x was insanely loud. I like!

Focus peaking - I saw so many people griping that focus peaking was hard to see (due to the size of the sparklies) and was wondering what they were talking about until I realized I've been 'cheating'. If you set the camera to flash the bright/dark highlights, your white highlights from the focus peaking flash yellow as the camera seems to see these as blown out bits. Its not as precise as having it off, but I haven't truly botched a shot yet leaving it on like this. For me, focus peaking is working wonderfully. The K-x doesn't even have peaking so this is gravy.

General 'feel' - The K-30 seems to just generally have a better heft and feel to it than the K-x did. Maybe its just built better for my hand size or something.

Last edited by Sagitta; 02-13-2013 at 08:28 AM.
02-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Good tip on the focus peaking. It's definitely heftier than my k-x. Very solid feel - and that's saying something since the k-x was one of the most solid entry level cams ever.
02-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations, I also got the K-30, but was lucky enough to keep the K-x as a backup, as it is still quite capable of taking nice shots. The HDR definitely seems better although I don't use it much. The OVF is so nice compared to the K-x, I haven't really tried the focus peaking yet... Enjoy it!
02-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice summary. The processing horsepower of the K-30 should be significantly stronger than the K-x. Thanks for the tip on focus peaking, that ought to work on the other cameras with that feature as well as on the K-30.

02-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I wish focus peaking would have worked from VF
02-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

My first impression of the 'thirty was everything my K-x or K-r did well, the K-30 does better. That's still my impression.
02-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Found this thread while comtemplating replacing my K-x with a K-30 and now I'm sold So thanks for all your posts, really helpful!

What I'm after is better shots inside on my son, especially at night. So the slightly better AF and slightly better ISO will help here, together with focus peaking and better VF.

The only downside is if focus peaking is working as good as you say, I'll probably start collecting more old manual glass. LBA here I come
02-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by retroflex Quote
Found this thread while comtemplating replacing my K-x with a K-30 and now I'm sold So thanks for all your posts, really helpful!

What I'm after is better shots inside on my son, especially at night. So the slightly better AF and slightly better ISO will help here, together with focus peaking and better VF.

The only downside is if focus peaking is working as good as you say, I'll probably start collecting more old manual glass. LBA here I come
If your son is mobile, focus peaking isn't going to help very much. Its very much a static/fairly static subject kind of thing. :-D Though is he's sitting down, it can help nail those 'focus on the eyes with wide aperture' kind of shots. My most used 'kid lens' is still my cheap FA 28-90mm.

02-15-2013, 01:50 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
If your son is mobile, focus peaking isn't going to help very much. Its very much a static/fairly static subject kind of thing. :-D Though is he's sitting down, it can help nail those 'focus on the eyes with wide aperture' kind of shots. My most used 'kid lens' is still my cheap FA 28-90mm.
Ok thanks, that makes sense. He's always mobile when you want to take a photo and always static when you have to walk somewhere Anyway, slightly better AF will help.

I also have a second kid coming in a couple of weeks so I guess focus peaking will help me there. Would be really interesting to try it with my M100/2.8 which I really like but always have to take a few shots to get a keeper.