Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Help Help Please - lens stuck !!

Hi.Well I Was going to try a different lens from old pentax.It fit right on..No Problem.
Went to take pic..Shutter would not release. So i go to take lens off..It wont Come off..Now what?

02-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please what is the exact name of the lens? It is possible that the lens has an extra pin called a Ricoh pin that sometimes gets stuck. But we need either the exact name or a picture of the lens to tell.
02-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Please what is the exact name of the lens? It is possible that the lens has an extra pin called a Ricoh pin that sometimes gets stuck. But we need either the exact name or a picture of the lens to tell.
I am not sure.it was off mt dads old pentax .on the front of lens it says focal MC 1:28 135mm.has a No.K8610446
02-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sujo78 Quote
I am not sure.it was off mt dads old pentax .on the front of lens it says focal MC 1:28 135mm.has a No.K8610446
it has a little silver button on the lens taht pushes in a bit..but the lens release on camera wont release it.

02-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Does it say PK or KR or P(R) or K(R)?
02-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
it just has a K in front of the numbers
02-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
It has KR on it
02-16-2013, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

It has KR on it
That's what I thought. This lens was actually made for Ricoh cameras which use (mostly) the same mount as Pentax. On non-auto focus cameras they work just fine but on DSLRs or auto focus film cameras they get stuck.

Don't worry, you can get it off but it will take a bit of work. Mostly it involves a bit of wiggling and maybe a feeler gauge or bit of stiff plastic. Here are a couple of links that explain this in many more words than I can fit in this post:

In future, never put a KR type lens on a new camera unless you remove the pin first, which is explained in one of those posts.

02-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok..Thank you very much..I was just told the lens was compatible.Nothing else about removing a pin..Thanks much!
02-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Ok..Thank you very much..I was just told the lens was compatible.Nothing else about removing a pin..Thanks much!
Pentax has the most compatible mount history in photography. I have lenses made in 1957 that still work just fine on my k-5. But not all third party manufacturers followed the exact specifications and thus there are some issues. Any Pentax branded lens will work. Off brands, always check.

Please post back and let us know if you get it off.

Best.
02-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you so much..I was frantic..I got it removed
02-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Thank you so much..I was frantic..I got it removed
Excellent! Glad it all came right for you.
02-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But not all third party manufacturers followed the exact specifications and thus there are some issues.
Yes, there are issues with the Ricoh-P variant (with the pin), but it is no fault of Ricoh's. Those lenses were perfectly cross compatible with other K-mount cameras at the time they were made for the features that were shared in common between body and lens. The Ricoh-P mount dates to July of 1984 and was in direct competition with the original Pentax-KA mount as a method to support programmed auto-exposure. The Ricoh cameras were popular enough such that at one time many third-party lenses supported both systems, hence the wide-spread presence of the "Ricoh Pin". Incompatible Pentax AF film cameras came on the market about 3 years later and the pin issue has been with us ever since.

Short story: Pentax designed and sold auto-focus cameras to their customers knowing full well that incompatible k-mount lenses were common in the marketplace and in their buyer's camera bags!

The good news: Many lenses with the "pin" have a spring-loaded ball that has less tendency to jam than the projecting pin type. These are much easier to get off should they become stuck.

Steve

(...almost got a Rikenon-P stuck on my K10D, but realized my error just short of rotating the pin into the AF well!!!)

P.S. There was hot competition between camera makers in the early to mid 1980s to produce programmed exposure SLRs. Canon was the first out the gate with the A-1 in 1978 to the general astonishment of the photography world. The consumer-level AE-1 Program came out in 1981, demonstrating the strength of the market for that kind of camera. Pentax followed with the Super Program in 1983 with Ricoh releasing the XR-P the following summer.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-16-2013 at 11:37 PM.