Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
AF in low light

Hello,

It appears that my K-30 focuses in low light much better then my old k100d.

K30 seems to focus quick to my needs the only problem I have, is that photos comes out fairly blurry even when the flash is used.
I did few tests at home with only 1 standing light in a room and many photos are still a bit blurry (when taken with 180 shutter speed)

Whats you're experience in low light?

Thanks

02-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Its hard to say and would be a complete guess without seeing one of the offending photos (with intact exif data). It could be a number of things.
02-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m112 Quote
Whats you're experience in low light?
Please define low light. In very low light, no AF will work even with a fast lens. This is an issue with most camera. Instead you need to use MF.

My 5 cents...
02-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, in an average room with 1 low energy 11 watt table lamp with a shade I would say my K-30+35/2.4 can produce repeatedly sharp enough shots, better than several other cameras I've tried in the same circumstances without flash. However, in low light there's focal length (FL), shutter speed, aperture, lens quality, ISO, shake, noise, noise reduction effects all at play and liable to detract from optimum sharpness if poorly chosen. I'm having to use ISO 5000+ in the lighting I mentioned to get 1/160s at f2.4.

A shutter speed of 1/FL should be easily capable of sharp shots even without SR on, I won't go below 1/8s using 35mm, preferably 1/13s as that's pretty much guaranteed to be sharp. As you've had problems even when using flash, that does tend to rule out motion blur though, so perhaps it is a focusing problem or you're using a really high ISO with high noise reduction which will soften images.

02-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I was testing the camera with just one energy saving light in a room.

The camera was focusing quickly - I had green dot - however when the photo was taken WITH flash the result was still fairly blurry.
This also applies to Children scene where shutter is about 180

Last edited by m112; 02-21-2013 at 08:10 AM.
02-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The camera was focusing quickly - I had green dot - however when the photo was taken WITH flash the result was still fairly blurry.
Was anything in focus? For instance, it's quite easy to lock onto the background when trying to grab a moving target. I tried the Kids Scene mode (1st time!) and couldn't find any issues but there again I haven't got any children running around.
02-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

once again, Its hard to say and would be a complete guess without seeing one of the offending photos (with intact exif data). It could be a number of things.
03-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
once again, Its hard to say and would be a complete guess without seeing one of the offending photos (with intact exif data). It could be a number of things.
Agree