Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anybody tried the new 1.02 firm?

I'm wondering does it worth to upgrade, the previous upgrade was not that good enough to worth the efforts.
So... anybody with impressions? There is one thing that I will like a lot about contrast focusing, with all modern lenses the K30 closes the aperture in live view - I hate that. For example with 50 1.4 it always closes to 4.0 and I can't see the dof right and cannot focus accurately it is very disappointing. Same thing with samyang 85 1.4 and every A/DA/... lens if that is fixed - I'm updating .

02-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by simbon4o Quote
I'm wondering does it worth to upgrade, the previous upgrade was not that good enough to worth the efforts.
So... anybody with impressions? There is one thing that I will like a lot about contrast focusing, with all modern lenses the K30 closes the aperture in live view - I hate that. For example with 50 1.4 it always closes to 4.0 and I can't see the dof right and cannot focus accurately it is very disappointing. Same thing with samyang 85 1.4 and every A/DA/... lens if that is fixed - I'm updating .
Firmware versions follow a consistent naming convention of A.BC

A is the major release number, which rarely changes. B represents significant changes in features or functionality, and C represents stability improvements, bug fixes, and other minor changes. Since only the third digit has been changed in this firmware update, you shouldn't expect anything to behave differently during general usage. Nevertheless, you should always update to the latest version IMO to keep your camera free of any known bugs!

BTW, if you don't want the camera to stop your lens down, just use the aperture ring!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
BTW, if you don't want the camera to stop your lens down, just use the aperture ring!
It closes it anyway... I have tried that after 1min thinking. The only lenses I can use live view wide open are those without aperture lever or in other words - M42 lenses.
02-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter

simbon4o,
I am trying to understand what you mean about liveview stopping you down. Checked this on my k30 and I don't seem to see what you see. At this moment I have the da35 2.4 mounted and when I go to live view with 2.4 it remains there and I have full control over it (2.4-22)?? Checked the Tamron 90 macro as well and works just fine?? Am I missing something? btw I have v1.02 installed.

Regards Frank

02-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fkirby41 Quote
simbon4o,
I am trying to understand what you mean about liveview stopping you down. Checked this on my k30 and I don't seem to see what you see. At this moment I have the da35 2.4 mounted and when I go to live view with 2.4 it remains there and I have full control over it (2.4-22)?? Checked the Tamron 90 macro as well and works just fine?? Am I missing something? btw I have v1.02 installed.

Regards Frank
So I'm updating I have the problem with FA 50 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4, even 16-45 is closing down a little when I go in live view.
02-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I too am waiting before updating. Let us know how you fare. I don't see any real benefits or drawbacks from 1.01 to 1.02, mostly some specific lens compatibility. I've been burnt before however on FW upgrades (not Pentax) so I'm waiting for a bit to see others reports.
02-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #7

Original Poster
So I have updates 5min ago. Nothing changes a lot, but I can change the aperture to wide open now by turning the ring of the lens while using live view which is good for focus accuracy(focusing with 1.4 lens at 4.0 is more than stupid). The other stupid thing about this is that the lens became not a FA 50 1.4 but a dummy M 50 1.4 like this - there is no exif about the aperture I'm using in the shot and the TTL is not working like with A/F/FA lens. For example if I shoot at 2.0 by turning the aperture ring to 2.0 position the FA 50 1.4 uses 1.4 aperture during the focusing in live view and closes to 2.0 for the shot but it is exactly the same if I use M 50 1.4 - exif is empty and no TTL.
I hope that those things will be fixed in the next firmware!
02-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #8

If you are using the aperture ring in a position different from A there is no way the camera can know
the aperture value, it's a mechanical thing, so F-stop cannot be in exif data.

02-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
Forum Member

Is it possible to roll back the firmware?
02-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Kyle509 Quote
Is it possible to roll back the firmware?
Are you suggesting you want to, or just asking generally.

Usually it's not possible, with everything else I've tried - the device will not accept a lower version.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/128678-downgrade-firmware.html
02-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adinfinitum Quote
Are you suggesting you want to, or just asking generally.

Usually it's not possible, with everything else I've tried - the device will not accept a lower version.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/128678-downgrade-firmware.html
Yeah, I do want to. Thanks for the link.
02-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pvanni Quote
If you are using the aperture ring in a position different from A there is no way the camera can know
the aperture value, it's a mechanical thing, so F-stop cannot be in exif data.
I know that but that's the only way to have twice faster contrast AF with FA 50 1.4 .

BTW Last night I was testing lenses and the camera stopped working, I have pulled out the batteries to start it again. I hope it is not caused by the new firm .
02-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by simbon4o Quote
BTW Last night I was testing lenses and the camera stopped working, I have pulled out the batteries to start it again. I hope it is not caused by the new firm .
This happened to me twice in 30 minutes at the weekend with 1.02 I had to remove the battery on both occasions, this never happened with 1.01 - I'm going to reset to factory defaults just to see if it happens again.

BTW I wasn't changing any lenses but I was outside in fairly cold (5DegC) & damp conditions but that should be a breeze for the K-30 !

If it happens again after resetting to factory defaults I may try to downgrade to 1.01