Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K30 down grade from K100D

I purchased a K30 about a week ago and i'm kinda disappointed to find that the K100D takes sharper photos with better contrast and color.For some reason this has turned into a huge leap in the wrong direction?All the photos look way over sharpened and yet lack detail at the same time,every straight line has the saw tooth effect and some parts just look smeary.I tried adjusting the sharpness and fine sharpness along with every color and white balance setting along with about 5 different lenses including the 31 limited but it never compares to the K100D.I can't imagine how so many people can love this camera?

02-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
I purchased a K30 about a week ago and i'm kinda disappointed to find that the K100D takes sharper photos with better contrast and color.For some reason this has turned into a huge leap in the wrong direction?All the photos look way over sharpened and yet lack detail at the same time,every straight line has the saw tooth effect and some parts just look smeary.I tried adjusting the sharpness and fine sharpness along with every color and white balance setting along with about 5 different lenses including the 31 limited but it never compares to the K100D.I can't imagine how so many people can love this camera?
The K-30 has something called a custom image setting, which lets you control how the camera processes JPEGs. There's a bunch of presets, but you can also control things such as sharpening, color, etc yourself. I suggest you take a look at those settings, or shoot in RAW if you want to have complete control. Don't worry, the K30 can do better than the K100D, it's just that sometimes the fact that there are more megapixels gives you the illusion that there's less detail, because things may appear to be more blurry when you zoom to 100% compared to a lower-res image.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You probably have a bad copy. Or everyone else in the K30 subforum is delusional. One of the two.

I kid. Have you tried pixel peeping the pictures you take on a computer monitor? I know that when viewing pictures on the LCD, I get that "sawtooth" effect when the picture is first loading. That and moire (where applicable). Of course, on my computer, they are not present in the pictures. Ironically, when I see those things on the LCD I use that as an indicator to let me know that I've got a sharp, in-focus picture, and when they don't appear on the LCD, I feel that the pictures are going to turn out soft on my monitor.

Sorry if that seems confusing. Cameras are weird.
02-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe DPReview had a lot of negatives to say about the JPEG engine and nothing but rave reviews for the RAW images. The resolution alone from the RAWs seems to be pretty incredible.

Still, I really liked the look the K100D gave to my shots, it's a great camera with a signature look that it imparted to images. Your K30 is certainly better in all technical aspects. I know when I had my K-r the K100D was actually focusing better. I had to adjust my K-r to max adjustment to make it focus as precisely as my K100D, so I sent it for service. I really do miss that K100D, if the buffer were able to keep up with my shooting, I'd probably never have sold it.

02-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I think so too. I was so happy with K100d unfortunately it broke. I got k30 and I just cannot get it to work properly. And I cannot just stand my screaming wife that I bought garbage - I still try to make myself and her convinced that is not true.

SR and sharpness was definitely better on K100d.
02-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #6

I have both cameras. Do you want to see a comparison shot?

I am sure the K-30 is a better camera for me, but I didn't compare closely the things you talk about.
02-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've got both the K100D and K-30 and SR is much the same, I've tested both now and feel quite confident saying that. JPG sharpness is different and non optimal but whose is? Probably Olympus have the best JPG engine but they have no APS-C DSLRs. The K-30 more or less forces me to use RAW all the time but I don't mind - JPGs are OK if they're perfect but I don't take perfect photos
02-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #8

Original Poster
I've compared shots from the K20 and k5 to the K30 and to be honest the K30 just sucks.I thought it was in the camera adjustments so i tried every adjustment i could like the sharpness color and even different lenses but i can't find any setting that produces pleasing results.I have used the k5 and k20 so i was expecting something a little better than this.My problem now is how to unload this,by the time i figure out it won't produce a decent photo i have gone over the 200 shot limit for return.I should have bought from walmart because they wouldn't tell you it can't be returned because you used it!I guess once to buy it your stuck with it?Now i know why so many used K30's are for sale already.

02-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've compared shots from the K20 and k5 to the K30 and to be honest the K30 just sucks.I thought it was in the camera adjustments so i tried every adjustment i could like the sharpness color and even different lenses but i can't find any setting that produces pleasing results.I have used the k5 and k20 so i was expecting something a little better than this.My problem now is how to unload this,by the time i figure out it won't produce a decent photo i have gone over the 200 shot limit for return.I should have bought from walmart because they wouldn't tell you it can't be returned because you used it!I guess once to buy it your stuck with it?Now i know why so many used K30's are for sale already.
Are you serious?? You must have a bad copy because I have seen some downright amazing images from the K-30...and not just on this forum. I guess you will just have to sell it here on the forum.
02-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
Forum Member

I also have done a comparison with my old K100 and find the initial jpegs are very nice. The images are very punchy right out of the camera. I find the K30 to be a little neutral and they don't grab you the way the K100's do. However, I shoot mostly raw and that's where the difference really shows. There is no comparison to the sharpness and detail that you get with the K30 when you shoot raw. The K100 is OK, but it is just too far behind on features for me to use on a serious basis. The battery life is atrocious compared to the K30 for one reason alone. The speed of processing/writing on the K100 is another. I have not sampled the vast array of settings on the K30 yet, so it will be interesting if I can match the jpeg output. I will certainly try, if only to save processing time later.

An interesting sidebit - my K-01 seems to produce better jpegs than the K-30.
02-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I never shoot jpeg,(not even with my E-PM1) even when shooting for the newspaper or the magazines I work for. I just find it easier to process the raw files in LR4 and convert them to jpeg.
02-22-2013, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I must defend the K30 from this horrible hatchet job you are pulling. *puts on knight armor*

For everyone who has read this thread and suspects that they may have a bad K30, please start here (it's mostly about lenses, but it also applies to cameras)

LensRentals.com - “This Lens Is Soft” and Other Facts

As for the marketplace, there are WAY MORE K5's than any other camera on there, and that's just from a casual glance. And there are not "so many" used K30's for sale already. Show me some numbers to clarify what you mean by "so many".

Clearly the K30 is too much camera for you. Good day sir!
02-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I must defend the K30 from this horrible hatchet job you are pulling. *puts on knight armor*

For everyone who has read this thread and suspects that they may have a bad K30, please start here (it's mostly about lenses, but it also applies to cameras)

LensRentals.com - “This Lens Is Soft” and Other Facts

As for the marketplace, there are WAY MORE K5's than any other camera on there, and that's just from a casual glance. And there are not "so many" used K30's for sale already. Show me some numbers to clarify what you mean by "so many".

Clearly the K30 is too much camera for you. Good day sir!
Actually, I don't think there are any K-30's for sale on the forum!
02-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I guess you must find it amazing how the K-30 has received so many stellar comments from both users and professional reviewers. Maybe you can tell us what lenses you're using and exactly what you find at fault with the images you've captured? Do you know if you might have a rare bad copy and if so, why didn't you exchange it? Short of that, do you have enough evidence to ask for warrantee service?
02-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

It takes a while to get used to a new camera. I got my K-30 only a week before my trip to Africa. So I did not have time to tweak all the settings to my liking. I did not shoot raw, unfortunately. On the 1st day my K-x performed better, partly due to the bigger hood on the lens.
So my advice is to keep shooting and testing the different settings and modes.

Seb