Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Thinking of trading a K-5 II for a K-30

Am I crazy? I've been so indecisive on what camera I want. In the last year I've had a Canon T2i, Olympus OM-D, and now the Pentax K-5 II. I know the camera doesn't make good pictures, it's the photographer. There are so many things about each of them that I've loved. Sorry I sound like a record player!

On the Canon T2i I loved video mode, but I didn't like the high ISO picture quality that much. I had to keep at ISO 800 for clean images. I think I was able to get good stuff out of it though.

I really love the OM-D because of it's size. The picture quality is very good for its sensor, and IBIS helps me take pictures at slower shutter speeds to help ISO stay low. Video is good when there isn't a lot of movement.

Now I have the Pentax K-5 II, and I don't know what to think. I also have the OM-D, and thought I would sell the OM-D right away. I feel like they both complement each other very well. Both are similar in regards to a weather sealed body, and IBIS or as Pentax calls it SR. As a university student I can't afford to keep both, and don't know which one to keep. I've been taking pictures, and I'm VERY impressed with Pentax. I was very impressed with the high ISO pictures. ISO 3200 seems very usable to me, and I pixel peep (terrible habit). Now I'm impressed with DR. I took a picture, and it was mostly black. I opened it with photoshop, and played with the settings. I raised the shadow bar all the way to 100, and the image had very little noise. I was so shocked, and was like HOW COULD THIS BE? I then tried the same thing with the OM-D, but I saw a lot of noise, so there isn't a lot of shadow recovery I could do. Now I'm very undecided on what camera to keep. What I really don't like about the K-5 II is the video mode. I'm not that big on video, but like to have control on the settings. I don't mind the frame rate, but I wish I was able to control ISO, aperture, shutter speed during video. The exposure also changes all the time. The white balance also hasn't been accurate, or at least not to what I like or am used to. Pentax lenses also seem expensive compared to the others. It's the same for Olympus.

I was sure I would sell the K-5 II because of the video, but image quality is making me doubt. I thought about other brands, but after seeing Pentax's DR I'm not sure. I know Nikon has very good DR also, but I don't like their menu, or button placements. Nikon lenses also seem cheaper compared to the other brands. I thought about going back to Canon because it has so so of both worlds, but I'd miss body stabilization. I'm not serious about video, and mostly do it hand held. So that leaves me with just the Pentax K-30.

I have questions about video. Can you control the settings during video? I've read the reviews comparing the K-30 with the Pentax K-5, but I want other opinions. Has anyone used both? Has anyone downgraded to the K-30? How do they compare? I know the Pentax doesn't have a mic input though. I also thought if I trade the Pentax K-5 II for the K-30 I'd have a little extra for a super wide lens. Would you trade?

Last edited by memo90061; 02-22-2013 at 12:33 AM.
02-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by memo90061 Quote
Am I crazy? I've been so indecisive on what camera I want. In the last year I've had a Canon T2i, Olympus OM-D, and now the Pentax K-5 II. I know the camera doesn't make good pictures, it's the photographer. There are so many things about each of them that I've loved. Sorry I sound like a record player!

On the Canon T2i I loved video mode, but I didn't like the high ISO picture quality that much. I had to keep at ISO 800 for clean images. I think I was able to get good stuff out of it though.

I really love the OM-D because of it's size. The picture quality is very good for its sensor, and IBIS helps me take pictures at slower shutter speeds to help ISO stay low. Video is good when there isn't a lot of movement.

Now I have the Pentax K-5 II, and I don't know what to think. I also have the OM-D, and thought I would sell the OM-D right away. I feel like they both complement each other very well. Both are similar in regards to a weather sealed body, and IBIS or as Pentax calls it SR. As a university student I can't afford to keep both, and don't know which one to keep. I've been taking pictures, and I'm VERY impressed with Pentax. I was very impressed with the high ISO pictures. ISO 3200 seems very usable to me, and I pixel peep (terrible habit). Now I'm impressed with DR. I took a picture, and it was mostly black. I opened it with photoshop, and played with the settings. I raised the shadow bar all the way to 100, and the image had very little noise. I was so shocked, and was like HOW COULD THIS BE? I then tried the same thing with the OM-D, but I saw a lot of noise, so there isn't a lot of shadow recovery I could do. Now I'm very undecided on what camera to keep. What I really don't like about the K-5 II is the video mode. I'm not that big on video, but like to have control on the settings. I don't mind the frame rate, but I wish I was able to control ISO, aperture, shutter speed during video. The exposure also changes all the time. The white balance also hasn't been accurate, or at least not to what I like or am used to. Pentax lenses also seem expensive compared to the others. It's the same for Olympus.

I was sure I would sell the K-5 II because of the video, but image quality is making me doubt. I thought about other brands, but after seeing Pentax's DR I'm not sure. I know Nikon has very good DR also, but I don't like their menu, or button placements. Nikon lenses also seem cheaper compared to the other brands. I thought about going back to Canon because it has so so of both worlds, but I'd miss body stabilization. I'm not serious about video, and mostly do it hand held. So that leaves me with just the Pentax K-30.

I have questions about video. Can you control the settings during video? I've read the reviews comparing the K-30 with the Pentax K-5, but I want other opinions. Has anyone used both? Has anyone downgraded to the K-30? How do they compare? I know the Pentax doesn't have a mic input though. I also thought if I trade the Pentax K-5 II for the K-30 I'd have a little extra for a super wide lens. Would you trade?
The K-30 does give you manual video controls, .MOV files, and better live view AF, so generally speaking I'd say it's better for video. However, it lacks an external mic input, and in the built-in mic is mono, which is a huge drawback.

As far as image quality goes, the K-30 is only slightly worse because it has 12 bit raw and not 14 bit. But if it's video that you're after, then I don't think you would mind the downgrade at all!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2013, 12:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
The thing is I mostly like taking pictures, but I also love doing silly music videos with my family. haha.

Can you choose the settings of the video while recording? Can you turn off the automatic exposure? I don't like that it keeps changing when panning.

The price and color of the K-30 make it sooo tempting. I never thought I would care for camera looks, but the white one looks so good to me. haha
02-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #4

The thing is I mostly like taking pictures, but I also love doing silly music videos with my family. haha.

Can you choose the settings of the video while recording? Can you turn off the automatic exposure? I don't like that it keeps changing when panning.

The price and color of the K-30 make it sooo tempting. I never thought I would care for camera looks, but the white one looks so good to me. haha
LOL - why don't you shoot the silly videos on your phone and keep the real camera for your stills?

02-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The AE-L button on your k-5 locks the exposure of the video.
02-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #6

Considered the K-01?
02-22-2013, 05:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In reality can the eye differentiate between an image captured as a 12-bit RAW and a 14-bit RAW?

02-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #8

Have a gander here:

Are 14-bit Raw Images Really Any Better Than 12-bit Raw?
14-bit Raw Versus 12-bit Raw: Further Analysis and Comparison
02-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

why on earth would you change?

K5 is a very nice camera. for video, as mentioned , use AEL button.
+ there are work arounds for controlling exposure. just browse the net. or use a lens with a manual aperture ring.

I have a k01. if you have spare money, it's nice for video. ergonomic.
Quality is ok, you have to know the limits of the camera, but i understand quality K5 is better.
Personally, if I had a K5, i would not trade it for k30 or k01.

In the end every camera has its downsides. it always about getting the most out of it.
just my thoughts
chr
02-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #10

Original Poster
russell2pi LOL because I like to choose the settings.

Thank you VisualDarkness!! I should try that now.

I haven't considered the K-01. Hmmm.

Thank you for the replies.
02-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #11

I was originally looking at a K-5II as well until I tried the K-30. I found the IQ to be very close and I loved the feel of the K-30. I decided that my best bet would be a K-30 and a K-01 as a backup. The IQ on the K-01 is at least as good as the K-30, perhaps even better on some shots. So for about $1100 plus tax (the cost of the K-5II), I got a blue K-30 with the 18-55WR lens and a yellow K-01 with the 40XS lens. I think it's the best way to go. The K-01 has superior video and the K-30 has a nice solid and rugged feel. My advice - sell the K5II, it's a beautiful machine but the K-30 and K-01 are bargain priced right now.
02-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply Hamiltom. THat's why I'm also tempted to sell the Pentax K-5 II to buy another lens. I want to buy a wide lens, but can't spend any money. Third party Pentax mount lenses don't seem to be at a discount when the Canon and Nikon versions do have discounts.

Why is the K-01 better for video? :O
02-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #13

Thank you for the reply Hamiltom. THat's why I'm also tempted to sell the Pentax K-5 II to buy another lens. I want to buy a wide lens, but can't spend any money. Third party Pentax mount lenses don't seem to be at a discount when the Canon and Nikon versions do have discounts.

Why is the K-01 better for video? :O
The K-01 has an external mike input. This is critical because the on board mikes on both cameras are really poor, especially for wind noise. If you are doing videos to dub with music or narration, it's no big deal. However if you want nice sound while taking videos, you will need a mike. The K-01 also has HDMI out, which is great for direct connection to a TV or monitor to view your videos in HD directly from the camera.
02-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Or get an external audio recorder if you are super serious about it.
02-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #15

Original Poster
Ahh ok. I just tried video, and it looks pretty good to me now. I'm so happy! haha