Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by simbon4o Quote
I can't agree with the battery thing! The K30 has the worst battery life from all of it's competitors. About 400-470 shots max is not enough. The other thing is that the battery itself is very slow for recharging... I have never seen that bad Li-ion performance before in any camera. If I want to use the camera seriously I must use AA batteries who make the camera a little heavier and less comfortable. About the other stuff... yes K30 can do everything that K5 can.

About movie performance - there is no pentax model to this moment who is good for movies. The quality of the movie is not good compared to the other brands and the controls are poor... every Sony NEX camera from the last models can shoot movie much better WITH PEEKING without any modifications. So... maybe in the future Pentax will make this better.
Pentax K5s have excellent video quality, just no manual control :/ K30 has great control, yet poor quality. I don't know why they didn't add the manual control to the K5 II...

02-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah it seems across different models they have a little of everything video wise, not sure why they can't put it together. One time it's the codec, next is the controls, then mic inputs, focus peaking. I know a lot of people don't care about video and honestly I predominantly do stills but I can't afford to buy multiple cameras for when I do want to do video. Checked out a Sony a57 today at the store, felt good, but I don't want to switch platforms if I don't have too. Waiting to see what happens this year!
02-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't expect a K-30 successor anytime soon. In fact, I'm just hoping that the company doesn't fold before it's time to release a successor! Hopefully they're doing better in the rest of the world than they are in the US, because I almost never see a Pentax here, and it doesn't seem like the company is trying to do a damn thing to change that sad fact.

Anyway, on the topic of battery life, I also went from a K-x to the K-30. I haven't been bothered by battery issues. I mostly use the OEM battery, but I also have some rechargeable Eneloop and Rayovac AA's that I use.
02-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
I hope there is some sarcasm there Edgar! I too have plenty of eneloops from my K-x that would serve me well but I've also realized the flash issues I would encounter (I have the Metz 50) would complicate things so for me right now there are too many issues for me to go ahead with the purchase. I'll keep my K-x for the rest of the year and see what new products are coming out before deciding to stay or switch, etc. I really don't want to switch!

02-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chucuyuco Quote
I hope there is some sarcasm there Edgar!
Yeah, a little bit. I've just been worried lately since Pentax is already facing an uphill battle and then keeps making missteps with products such as the Q and K-01. Meanwhile, some of the other back-bench camera companies like Olympus and Fuji keep innovating and are making progress against Canon and Nikon. And when Pentax does do something right, like the K-30, they do a horrible job of letting consumers know about it.