Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-30 Successor

I'm looking to upgrade from a K-x that has treated me well but I don't think I'll be able to afford the new K-5ii successor that will eventually come out. From everything I've read, I think the K-30 is almost the right fit for me but I'd like to see improvements to battery life and video formats. For all those "in the know", do you think Pentax will be coming out with a K-30 successor?

02-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chucuyuco Quote
I'm looking to upgrade from a K-x that has treated me well but I don't think I'll be able to afford the new K-5ii successor that will eventually come out. From everything I've read, I think the K-30 is almost the right fit for me but I'd like to see improvements to battery life and video formats. For all those "in the know", do you think Pentax will be coming out with a K-30 successor?
Eventually they will, but it still has at least another 9 months.
02-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #3

The K30 is fairly new so no, not for a while anyway.
02-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't expect one till Photokina....that's September 2014...

Okay, maybe CP+ 2014.

02-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just get the K-30. You will be waiting forever for the next new thing. At some point, you need to take the plunge.
02-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Just get the K-30. You will be waiting forever for the next new thing. At some point, you need to take the plunge.
When it was time to replace my K-x I was waiting for the K-r replacement. The K-01 came out and was tempting, but it was overpriced at launch. I ended up buying a K-5 several months before the K-30 was announced. The K-5 was at the end of its product life and I knew it, but I don't regret not waiting for the K-30 at all.
02-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by chucuyuco Quote
The K-30 was launched just 8 months ago, so I'd say it'll be a while before it sees a replacement. It's already much better for video than your K-x, so I'd go ahead and grab one!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah I figured the successor would be pretty far out but just wanted to check. I'm not in a huge rush (most days lol) so I think I'll wait to see at least the new high end offering and see if that brings the K-5ii prices down but I'd really like focus peaking for my manuals. For now, I'll just be patient while keeping my eye on K-30 prices as well.
02-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-m announced: Sep. 2008
K-x announced: Sep. 2009
K-r announced: Sep. 2010
K-01 announced: Feb. 2012
K-30 announced: May 2012

K-m, K-x, K-r is a logical series. K-30 seems to be a step above this series, and K-01 is something else.
I suppose the one year and a half hiatus between K-r and K-30 is the consequence of Pentax's changing owners. Personally, I don't think a successor to K-x is so far away. I think one will be announced sometime this summer and sold in the fall. I expect a 20-24mp sensor in a slightly updated K-30 body. (K-30 initiated a new logical series.) Still, this may be my wishful thinking: I'm the same position, a K-x user waiting for a successor to K-30. But I can wait. K-x is good enough for 6-7 more months, for me. I prefer to spend money buyng the ltd. zoom Pentax has on the roadmap.
02-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

If you're not using Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries with your K-x, I'd recommend you try them. A lot less throw away and they hold a charge rather nicely.

I just bought a K-30 yesterday (upgrade from my trusty K-x) so we'll see how it goes. Specs-wise it is a comfortable increase in features.
02-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #11

Honestly ... K30 is almost the same as K5 - for the price difference you can buy lenses which will improve you photos much more than buying K5/K5II/...
02-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm sold on it for stills but I want to be able to do video too and with a mono mic and no external jack I can't make the jump! I hope Pentax addresses those in the future as well as focus peaking with video
02-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #13
ogl
Banned

I think we can expect K-30's successor not early than at the end of this year.
02-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

K30 battery life is good enough.
It lasts about a day and a half of shooting in 'real world - tour type use'.
Spare batteries are dirt cheap on ebay.
Combine that with a 3rd party AA-holder and you are on pretty solid ground as far as batt life is concerned.

Coming from a K5 user who switched to K30.
The K30 is better for :
1. Response
2. AF accuracy
3. LV AF
4. Peaking
5. Seemingly a bit sharper o/p
6. Lighter
7. Cheaper
8. Color option (which is sometimes a conversation piece or taken less seriously by subject(a good thing))

Cons over a K5/II/IIs body :
1. Less buttons for fast access
2. No top lcd panel
3. 3 vs 5 exposure bracketing
4. No remote/timer release of bracketing
02-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
K30 battery life is good enough.
It lasts about a day and a half of shooting in 'real world - tour type use'.
Spare batteries are dirt cheap on ebay.
Combine that with a 3rd party AA-holder and you are on pretty solid ground as far as batt life is concerned.

Coming from a K5 user who switched to K30.
The K30 is better for :
1. Response
2. AF accuracy
3. LV AF
4. Peaking
5. Seemingly a bit sharper o/p
6. Lighter
7. Cheaper
8. Color option (which is sometimes a conversation piece or taken less seriously by subject(a good thing))

Cons over a K5/II/IIs body :
1. Less buttons for fast access
2. No top lcd panel
3. 3 vs 5 exposure bracketing
4. No remote/timer release of bracketing
I can't agree with the battery thing! The K30 has the worst battery life from all of it's competitors. About 400-470 shots max is not enough. The other thing is that the battery itself is very slow for recharging... I have never seen that bad Li-ion performance before in any camera. If I want to use the camera seriously I must use AA batteries who make the camera a little heavier and less comfortable. About the other stuff... yes K30 can do everything that K5 can.

About movie performance - there is no pentax model to this moment who is good for movies. The quality of the movie is not good compared to the other brands and the controls are poor... every Sony NEX camera from the last models can shoot movie much better WITH PEEKING without any modifications. So... maybe in the future Pentax will make this better.