Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
shame

so K5 is doing better by Night????? please I understand each technical tips mentioned before , BUT I'm quite pissed off a camera like K30 + 18/135wr f 3.5 (950 euros)and I have to focus manually by night for obtain something of decent,thanks goD I have good eye,no auto focusing by night,my Panasonic Lumix FZ200 is doing better,but the real pain in the ass, K30 sometimes produce hotpixels...ok if you shot raw+jpg you can polish but is not the kind of photography that I mean... so I'm considering to back my kit to the salesman for others like Alpha65,Nex 6 or Lumix G5..

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
08-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

K-5II, not K-5, is better in very low light AF compared to the K-30.

I haven't bought an 18-135 because it's not bright enough, but my 35/2.4 doesn't have any problem getting an AF lock on a street light similar to your example. Personally I would use an old manual Pentax lens, the 3 I've got all focus very accurately at infinity with the focus ring turned all the way.
A P&S sensor camera like the FZ200 has such a deep depth of field at 28mm (35mm equivalent) that focusing is hardly critical, so can appear to be very good. The real FL is something like 5mm.
08-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zorza Quote
I was with a friend that has a sony alpha55 camera..
The Sony Alpha 55 has AF light sensitivity of -1 EV to +18 EV (at ISO100 equivalent). This is identical to the K-30.
So probably something about the AF settings, lenses in use, filters in use etc, on either camera contributed to the Sony apparently getting a better AF result.
08-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The Sony Alpha 55 has AF light sensitivity of -1 EV to +18 EV (at ISO100 equivalent). This is identical to the K-30.
So probably something about the AF settings, lenses in use, filters in use etc, on either camera contributed to the Sony apparently getting a better AF result.
Ok I just upgraded my firmware , it was 1.00 now i have 1.04 , after some shoots I'm reconsidering everything.....yes I would like a more open Lenses but this 18/135 has some inner strong points... so keep in touch!

08-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Well, yes, of course firmware makes a difference. You also can do pixel mapping in the menu and that solves another problem.

Two things to consider. Any Sony 16 body is going to have fairly similar characteristics to the Pentax because they share the same sensor, although Pentax implementation might have a slight edge (especially compared to SLT cameras).

Second, you are using a very slow lens in a low light situation. You can do better shooting a faster prime. In dark landscape situations like this, the K-30 is ideal for using live view and focus peaking.

For the price, I don't think there is a better landscape shooting camera, but you still need the right lenses and proper techniques (and maintenance) to get the most out of the camera.