Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Hmm.... This is great! Any follow up on the proper instruction for doing this ourselves?

06-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #17

I will also tend to create one of these. I will make pictures and try to create an tutorial if i succeed!

The grip has already been ordered so it will arrive next week i hope so!
08-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #18

I'd like to update this thread if I may.
I just got a K-30 and was disappointed about the battery grip. I didn't go as far as rewiring the battery pack, but I ebayed the Nikon D60 grip. $17 shipped. If you order one, make sure the top is flat and doesn't have the lip running around the edge. I was a little worried that it wouldn't fit as well as I was hoping. I unscrewed the battery mount screws. Then the top and bottom screws on the front portion of the grip and pulled the grip apart. The battery insert is easy to remove and the wiring just unhooks from the control board. Now I have a dummy grip. Not a perfect fit, but it's so much easier on my big fingers and I can use a stroboframe the way I like. Without the battery insert, the grip twists a little. I assumed as much so I bought some thin adhesive rubber to apply to the grip. I'm so much happier with my K-30. I'm hoping someone will actually make a real grip in the future, but for now this works.
Thanks for the idea! Necessity is truly the mother of invention.
08-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #19

god i wish pentax would follow more of what it' users come up with this is EPIC

ever thought of selling the build???

GREAT job!

09-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyJones Quote
I'd like to update this thread if I may.
I just got a K-30 and was disappointed about the battery grip. I didn't go as far as rewiring the battery pack, but I ebayed the Nikon D60 grip. $17 shipped. If you order one, make sure the top is flat and doesn't have the lip running around the edge. I was a little worried that it wouldn't fit as well as I was hoping. I unscrewed the battery mount screws. Then the top and bottom screws on the front portion of the grip and pulled the grip apart. The battery insert is easy to remove and the wiring just unhooks from the control board. Now I have a dummy grip. Not a perfect fit, but it's so much easier on my big fingers and I can use a stroboframe the way I like. Without the battery insert, the grip twists a little. I assumed as much so I bought some thin adhesive rubber to apply to the grip. I'm so much happier with my K-30. I'm hoping someone will actually make a real grip in the future, but for now this works.
Thanks for the idea! Necessity is truly the mother of invention.
Hmm.... Could you post some pics up?

Coz i might want to try this but not too sure if i might get the correct screws removed as described here..
09-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Hmm.... Could you post some pics up?

Coz i might want to try this but not too sure if i might get the correct screws removed as described here..
Bro, you going to DIY a grip to use for the K30 is it? kekeke
09-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Bro, you going to DIY a grip to use for the K30 is it? kekeke
Exactly.... LoL! I don't need a battery grip for extra battery capacity but more for the grip..
My fingers are long and FF camera feels REALLY nice.. Hence the want for it except for the weight and price..

If i can DIY a reasonably nice and comfortable grip, i would!

Until then, my lil pinky will have to unconsciously bear the weight of the camera... :'(

09-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Exactly.... LoL! I don't need a battery grip for extra battery capacity but more for the grip..
My fingers are long and FF camera feels REALLY nice.. Hence the want for it except for the weight and price..

If i can DIY a reasonably nice and comfortable grip, i would!

Until then, my lil pinky will have to unconsciously bear the weight of the camera... :'(
I have the same problem as you but I am not electronically trained so cannot do a DIY. If only there was a 3rd party grip for us . . .
09-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool, nice work!

Now you've given me ideas...
09-03-2013, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
I have the same problem as you but I am not electronically trained so cannot do a DIY. If only there was a 3rd party grip for us . . .
If extra power is not one of the goals, I think most competent wood workers could make an inexpensive extension of the camera body.
09-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
If extra power is not one of the goals, I think most competent wood workers could make an inexpensive extension of the camera body.
That is a great idea Jim! I had thought about that, but wasn't sure how to get a screw insert to secure it to the camera without needing tools in case I need to replace the camera batteries quickly. I have a woodworker friend, but I figured he would need/want some sort of dimensions and shape to copy. I also thought it might be more costly. Solid hardwood blocks aren't cheap these days. Neither are woodworker prices. My $17 investment will hold for now. It would look pretty sweet with a contoured, dark stained wood grip though. I still might follow through with that. Rock it!
09-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
How I would tackle it is to trace the outline of the bottom of your camera on to thin cardboard and make a template. Cut it out then find the exact center of your tripod mounting point. Using this template you cut two blocks. On the bottom of one block you cut a wide notch at the tripod mounting point and drill a hole. Find a 1/4 X 20 screw with a knob just wider than the block of wood (maybe steal one off an old cheap broken tripod). put the screw through the hole with the knob in the notch. Glue the two blocks of wood together.

Now you have a means of attaching the block to the tripod socket on your camera. Check your hardware store and find a sleeve internally threaded 1/4 X20. Drill a hole in the bottom of your glued blocks of wood for this sleeve. Sand and finish.

You can add a grip of almost any desired height and the weight would depend on the species of wood you selected.
09-03-2013, 12:33 PM - 2 Likes   #28

Hey guys, I grabbed the grip and took it apart so you could see the process. Unfortunately I had a complete brain fart and used my camera phone. To make matters worse, the lens glass was smudged and didn't realize it until too late. I haven't had a camera for so long I forgot I had the Pentax in the bag next to me. Can you believe it?! And since I just put on the rubber adhesive, I can't do it over again with better pics. Sorry. So here's the breakdown. Start with a cheapo Nikon D60/D3000 battery grip, making sure it's flat on top. Certain ones have a ridge around the top of the grip to stop the camera from twisting. I'm not sure how the camera would fit on those. All you'll need is a very fine tipped phillips head screwdriver. I found a screwdriver bit that worked better than the eyeglass screwdrivers I tried first. Be careful not to strip out the heads.
1- remove the screws around the battery insert (the part sticking up out of the grip)
2- remove the screws on the front half of the grip, both top and bottom
3- pull the grip apart
4- push the battery insert downward to release it from the grip
5- unplug the battery insert wires from the control board (all 3 wires attach with a plug fitting and pulls out easily)
6- put the 2 halves back together
7- put the screws back in (you'll have 4 screws left over)
8- Boom! you have a dummy grip
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
SCH-I535  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SCH-I535  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SCH-I535  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SCH-I535  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SCH-I535  Photo 
09-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyJones Quote
Hey guys, I grabbed the grip and took it apart so you could see the process. Unfortunately I had a complete brain fart and used my camera phone. To make matters worse, the lens glass was smudged and didn't realize it until too late. I haven't had a camera for so long I forgot I had the Pentax in the bag next to me. Can you believe it?! And since I just put on the rubber adhesive, I can't do it over again with better pics. Sorry. So here's the breakdown. Start with a cheapo Nikon D60/D3000 battery grip, making sure it's flat on top. Certain ones have a ridge around the top of the grip to stop the camera from twisting. I'm not sure how the camera would fit on those. All you'll need is a very fine tipped phillips head screwdriver. I found a screwdriver bit that worked better than the eyeglass screwdrivers I tried first. Be careful not to strip out the heads.
1- remove the screws around the battery insert (the part sticking up out of the grip)
2- remove the screws on the front half of the grip, both top and bottom
3- pull the grip apart
4- push the battery insert downward to release it from the grip
5- unplug the battery insert wires from the control board (all 3 wires attach with a plug fitting and pulls out easily)
6- put the 2 halves back together
7- put the screws back in (you'll have 4 screws left over)
8- Boom! you have a dummy grip
AWESOME!! Gonna keep an eye out for a decent priced grip now.. Or would consider Jim's idea there.. ;P

How I would tackle it is to trace the outline of the bottom of your camera on to thin cardboard and make a template. Cut it out then find the exact center of your tripod mounting point. Using this template you cut two blocks. On the bottom of one block you cut a wide notch at the tripod mounting point and drill a hole. Find a 1/4 X 20 screw with a knob just wider than the block of wood (maybe steal one off an old cheap broken tripod). put the screw through the hole with the knob in the notch. Glue the two blocks of wood together.

Now you have a means of attaching the block to the tripod socket on your camera. Check your hardware store and find a sleeve internally threaded 1/4 X20. Drill a hole in the bottom of your glued blocks of wood for this sleeve. Sand and finish.

You can add a grip of almost any desired height and the weight would depend on the species of wood you selected.
Great idea and thank you Jim! Will take this into consideration and explore alternative materials!
09-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Jim, that's an awesome suggestion...not sure why I hadn't considered this! Electricity and I do not get along, but I can handle a block of hardwood. I'll just have to resist the temptation to make it out of ebony ($) to match the body color.