Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #1

Interval Settings

I want to set up a 12 hour sequence every 15 minutes for an outside shot to try to catch an over night snow storm. Using the K-30, what would be the best settings? Does interval only work with preset ISO, aperture and shutter settings? Will auto mode allow for automatic pre shot adjustments for exposure? I am assuming I will want to manually focus prior too.

I

02-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Moondawg Quote
I want to set up a 12 hour sequence every 15 minutes for an outside shot to try to catch an over night snow storm. Using the K-30, what would be the best settings? Does interval only work with preset ISO, aperture and shutter settings? Will auto mode allow for automatic pre shot adjustments for exposure? I am assuming I will want to manually focus prior too.

I
Hi,

I haven't tried using the internal timelapse controls on my K-30 yet (I have a external intervalometer from my ist*DS), but I picked up the basics from the timescapes forum. Here's the link to their "Ultimate timelapse FAQs" thread.

Timescapes - Digital Timelapse Discussion - View topic - The ULTIMATE timelapse FAQ thread!

All the camera settings should be manual, to reduce unwanted flicker in the final movie, but I've managed to get some good results from my DS in Av mode (example movies below).

https://picasaweb.google.com/kaitain2008/TimelapseProjects?authuser=0&feat=directlink

If you intend to make a movie out of the resulting images, you'll want to increase the number of shots over the 12 hours, as 15 minute intervals would only give you 48 frames. A well anchored tripod and fully charged battery are a must.

Hope that this helps.

Kaitain
02-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you Kaitain - really good info, I plan on digging into the Timelapse discussion as soon as I am able (IE not at work...)

Have you tried a time lapse from day to dusk to night to dawn? Am I thinking the impossible to try to get decent exposure throughout the entire time lapse duration?
03-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Moondawg Quote
Thank you Kaitain - really good info, I plan on digging into the Timelapse discussion as soon as I am able (IE not at work...)

Have you tried a time lapse from day to dusk to night to dawn? Am I thinking the impossible to try to get decent exposure throughout the entire time lapse duration?
Not yet, as it probably needs some form of bulb ramping and my external timer can't do that. I'm still in the experimental phase with my K-30 at the moment. I've been trying my hand at astro-photography with the O-GPS1 I bought with the camera. I'll switch back to timelapse when the weather in the UK warms up a bit.

Kaitain

03-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This sort of application is where solid tethering would be most welcomed. Imagine how cool (and distinct) it would be if Pentax would allow a fully programmable timelapse feature. Imagine being able to pre-program manual exposure changes across the timelapse or to control the interval, etc. I don't think that this option is possible in pktether right now, although I get the impression that pktriggercord would be script-able enough to do this (haven't tried this program, though). These options in a well-designed interface would make Pentax very unique, at what is likely very little development cost.
03-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
This sort of application is where solid tethering would be most welcomed. Imagine how cool (and distinct) it would be if Pentax would allow a fully programmable timelapse feature. Imagine being able to pre-program manual exposure changes across the timelapse or to control the interval, etc. I don't think that this option is possible in pktether right now, although I get the impression that pktriggercord would be script-able enough to do this (haven't tried this program, though). These options in a well-designed interface would make Pentax very unique, at what is likely very little development cost.
Ofer4 - thanks for the note on PK Tether, being a new Pentax owner I had never heard of it. Very cool interface, more research for me now