Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K-30 first impressions of a K-x user

Just received the K-30 this afternoon.

I have picked it up for the first time and determined the grip is really lousy. terrible.

Apparently it was made for people with reallyyy short fingers because the tips of mine are jabbing into the faux leather below the light assist.. and it feels very awkward.

I also have a K-x and the grip on that camera is fantastic imo. I think mainly because the grip itself is wider and there is no fake leather stuff in between the grip and the lens ring.. so my fingers don't touch. fits like a glove. I wish camera grips were interchangeable.

So while all this is ongoing, I charged the battery enough to get going. Impressed with the resolution of the back screen over the K-x. The shutter seems about as loud as the K-x so no significant change there. But it is a lot faster and seems to have a larger buffer.. very nice!

The menus seem quicker and the camera itself processes much quicker than the K-x.

I've had very limited shooting time with it.. mostly indoor and a couple outdoor (overcast). Going to have to try more shots.. right now I'm not appreciating the image quality.. even at ISO 100 it seems the shots coming out are a little noisy in RAW (through LR 4.2) and not in focus (TaV mode with AF enabled).

I'm hoping it all smooths out otherwise it is back to the K-x.

03-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Just received the K-30 this afternoon.

I have picked it up for the first time and determined the grip is really lousy. terrible.
Always best to hold one before buying.
03-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
mee
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Too bad there are no Pentax retailers within at least 300 miles of me. But yeah.. good advice to follow when possible. I had never imaged the grip would ever make that much of a difference to me.

I guess it will make me use my tripod more. The way the grip is made on the K-30, it wants to twist the camera to the right in my hand.. due to the pivot point with my hand being so far to the right and up on the camera.

In any case, I've played with it more. The focus peaking is interesting.. probably good for stacks and other macro work. The interval timer will be fun for cloudscapes and such.. I like the extra wheel.. one for shutter and one for aperture. nice.

The liveview button was put in the stupidest place possible... far on the left, top. where the trash/delete button used to be on the k-x.

I'm trying to get used to having focus points in the viewfinder. I was used to NOT having them on the K-x. I wonder if I can take them off? That seems silly, yes, but I'm so used to working without them.

I'm not sure the the ISO/noise level is any better than the K-x.. I guess I am spoiled.

I hear now that the shutter is a little quieter than k-x.. not much though..instead of a clack clack clack.. I now hear thunk thunk thunk.. hehe

But that grip.. ack. Half wishing I'd have gotten a K-5 even though I'd lose some of the useful features on the K-30 body.. just because of the grip.
03-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #4

I got a K30 after coming from a Kx. I think the grips are similar. It took some getting used to but i now really like the K30 grip. And i have long fingers. Give it time and you will adapt.
The lack of focus lights was my biggest hate of the Kx (that and the shutter CLAP). Im surprised you want to disable them.

Its a far superior camera to the Kx. If you feel the grip has more value than the actual features, then i agree you should return it and get a K5. You may be able to get a deal of one of the last remaining early K5's, otherwise the K5II is a great camera also.

03-01-2013, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I'm trying to get used to having focus points in the viewfinder. I was used to NOT having them on the K-x. I wonder if I can take them off? That seems silly, yes, but I'm so used to working without them.
Yes, they can be turned off. See the memo on pg 102 of the manual.
03-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
mee
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Yes, they can be turned off. See the memo on pg 102 of the manual.
Thanks. That did the trick!
03-01-2013, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #7
mee
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
I got a K30 after coming from a Kx. I think the grips are similar. It took some getting used to but i now really like the K30 grip. And i have long fingers. Give it time and you will adapt.
The lack of focus lights was my biggest hate of the Kx (that and the shutter CLAP). Im surprised you want to disable them.

Its a far superior camera to the Kx. If you feel the grip has more value than the actual features, then i agree you should return it and get a K5. You may be able to get a deal of one of the last remaining early K5's, otherwise the K5II is a great camera also.
Looking at it more, the K-30 grip is more rounded on the right side. I think also because the K-30 seems a bit heavier that is also having an impact on my issues with the grip. But man.. im switching between holding each.. and the K-x feels RIGHT to me. The K-30 seems a little off in this regard. The front wheel means the shutter release button is a bit further back.. THAT is awkward to me too.

In any case.. yeah the rest of the camera is seeming a little better the more I use it. I'm not sensing far superior but it has several nice features (TaV and the light assist being two). It is an upgrade but not as dramatic as I expected. Perhaps my expectations were too large hehe

I look forward to shooting with it in full daylight. ...And for metz to get off their rears and get a firmware for the 50 af-1 to work with the K-30.

The more I think about it... I really was spoiled with the k-x being my first SLRish camera. It has good ISO sensitivity, image quality, decent enough burst mode.. and I love the smallness of it. Which is odd because of my comments on the grip. But it was designed so smartly to me in handling. Pentax did a fantastic job with it.

In any case.. I'm keeping the K-30 and will do my best to adapt. And it sure beats a bulky hippo like those Canons. Thanks all for letting me think out loud..
03-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Looking at it more, the K-30 grip is more rounded on the right side. I think also because the K-30 seems a bit heavier that is also having an impact on my issues with the grip. But man.. im switching between holding each.. and the K-x feels RIGHT to me. The K-30 seems a little off in this regard. The front wheel means the shutter release button is a bit further back.. THAT is awkward to me too.

In any case.. yeah the rest of the camera is seeming a little better the more I use it. I'm not sensing far superior but it has several nice features (TaV and the light assist being two). It is an upgrade but not as dramatic as I expected. Perhaps my expectations were too large hehe

I look forward to shooting with it in full daylight. ...And for metz to get off their rears and get a firmware for the 50 af-1 to work with the K-30.

The more I think about it... I really was spoiled with the k-x being my first SLRish camera. It has good ISO sensitivity, image quality, decent enough burst mode.. and I love the smallness of it. Which is odd because of my comments on the grip. But it was designed so smartly to me in handling. Pentax did a fantastic job with it.

In any case.. I'm keeping the K-30 and will do my best to adapt. And it sure beats a bulky hippo like those Canons. Thanks all for letting me think out loud..
You'll get used to its handling. I felt much the same coming from the K100D, my main complaint being the moved shutter button but then I noticed that one finger joint that ached after a while with the K100D no longer did so. The deep grip does make for a very secure one handed grip with light lenses, in fact I've now ditched my neck strap and now just have a lanyard to put my faith in if I were to lose grip (unlikely) which makes for a slightly pocketable camera, at least in cold weather with winter coats with slit pockets.

03-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went from the K-x to the K-30 with about 10 months in between the K-x going BOOM and my acquiring a new camera. Maybe its the fact I had so long in between the transition wasn't so jarring, but I prefer the K-30 a lot more. I feel I can, well, 'grip' the grip more. It feels a lot less likely that I'll drop it unless I do something really stupid.

Once I started shooting I quickly realized the K-30 trounces the K-x in just about every regard as far as my style of shooting (lots of night shots, lots of low light shots, lots of snaps of my very young children). Oddly the DA 18-55mm seems to behave about the same, but I swear the cheap FA28-90 I have is autofocusing much more easily.
03-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got both, and although the K-30 is definitely better than the K-x. I still use the K-x, now almost exclusively with my Noflexar 64cm lens, but also as a more than capable backup to the K-30.

I've got big hands, and to me the K-30 is a little better fit, but I'm sure it'll differ from person to person, you'll get used to it after a while. Focus points do not bother me, as I use the center point most of the time, except for some sport shots. Take some time and experiment with all the camera settings and you might be surprised with the results
K-x feels RIGHT to me
As the K-5 body also differs from the K-x, you'll have to learn to adapt, or stick with your K-x
03-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #11

Once you start using it more and during daylight hours youll see how much of an improvement over the Kx it is. When youve used a camera the same way for so long its difficult to adjust to a new body. It took me a few weeks before I was pressing the right buttons on my K30 after having been used to the Kx layout.
I rarely took the Kx above ISO 800. With the K30 im regularly using ISO 3200 without blinking an eye lid. The dual wheels - how did i get by without them>!? The shutter button placement was a little odd for me at first because again, I was used to the Kx design. Now its second nature.
The K30's 6 fps is very noticeable over the Kx. Ive caught some great birds in flight with it that the Kx would have missed. Then theres just all the little extra bells and whistles like focus peaking, electronic level inside the viewfinder, horizon correction, TaV, two User modes, fantastic dynamic range, zippy auto focus, weather sealing, the list goes on. Be sure to read through the manual if you havent done so already.

Anyway, if you still need convincing of its merits then maybe the Kx is better suited to you. Its still a great camera, no doubt. Invest the money in a better lens perhaps?