Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
Site Supporter

I'm not sure whether or not the k30 has an hdmi out on it like the k5, but if all you need to do is see the photo just taken, or have "live view", you can just run an hdmi cable to a monitor. No camera control thru the computer, but you can certainly see what the camera is seeing.

03-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Unfortunately the K-30 lacks a HDMI-port. It does however have an USB port, and according to the manual it also supports PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol). I think it's quite weird that Pentax did not fully implement tethering support. Actually the manual itself describes PTP as a protocol for picture transfer and *remote control of the camera over USB* (Swedish language manual). *shakes my head in frustration*
03-06-2013, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

I will gladly give it a try again. To better help you out, give me an example of how you think you would use the setup. For instance, what mode would you be shooting in? What settings do you anticipate changing often as opposed to letting the camera make adjustments? If you can lay out exactly what you want to test I can see what happens.
03-08-2013, 07:23 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I used a K-x for product photography for a couple years and then upgraded to the K-30 last year. I can't speak to the tethering aspect, but I can tell you that both of those cameras are great for product photography. They both have amazing image quality, and the high ISO advantage of the K-30 doesn't come into play since I'm generally at the base ISO.

I don't do product photography for a living, but I do sell quite frequently on eBay (mostly to get more spending money for camera gear!). I've noticed that my auctions tend to sell for more than average, and I think a lot of that is due to the good photography. Here are some shots of items I'm selling right now:

The picture of the Sigma 50-150mm lens was taken with my K-x, and the other two with my K-30.

My recommendation for a lens is the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. It is extremely sharp and has great image quality and nice bokeh. It has practically no vignetting, and distortions are very low, so corrections are usually never necessary in post processing. And it's sharp sharp sharp.

The range of focal lengths of the Tamron is perfect in most cases. I use the zoom ring so often while doing product photography that I really couldn't imagine just using a prime lens.

I will occasionally want something longer though, in which case I switch to my Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 (not the one that I'm selling!). But 99% of the time I'm using the Tamron for product photography. I only use the 50-150mm when I want the very narrow field of view that a long lens allows. Here's an example of a picture I took using the Sigma at 150mm:

Another great thing about the Tamron for this type of photography is that it is able to focus very closely. It's not a true macro lens, but it will probably get as close as you'll ever need, unless your photographing really tiny objects on a regular basis. It will focus on something that is just a few inches in front of the lens. If you want to get any closer, you would need to get a true macro lens.

Lighting is probably just as important as the camera and lens. Depending on what I'm shooting, I will either use my flash strobes, or I will just use the modeling light from the strobes as "hot lights". The picture of the lens above was taken using the strobes as hot lights (in other words, not firing the strobes), but the doll and the cabinet were taken with flash. The reason I used hot lights for the lens was because I wanted to use the room's ambient lighting and I wanted to match the lighting temperatures of the background and the subject.

If you'd like to see some more examples of product photography from the K-30, you can find some of my completed eBay auctions here on my seller feedback page:

eBay Feedback Profile for turbomission

03-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for all the kind advice! Today I caved in and bought a K-30 I have of course spent most of the day trying it out and I have to say that I'm extremely happy with it so far =D

Regarding tethering. I have been in contact with the programmer and he is planning to offer actuall K-30 support in a future upgrade! So it seems like I will get everything I was hoping for =D
03-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you just want to review images and nothing else, you could grab an eye-fi card. Pictures transfer nearly instantaneous and there are iphone and android apps.