Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Product Photography and ability to "live view" on a computer

Hello everybody!

I have a small Swedish e-store and I'm thinking about taking my own product photos. I sell shooting supplies and diving lamps so the typical item being shot would fit in a 10x10 inch box.

As a person I like robust things that can be used in the field, so my eyes quickly fell upon the K-30. Apart for production shots, the camera is also going to be used on vacations, hiking, the "above surface" part of diving and so on. So both the sealed house and the ability to use AA-batteries made the K-30 extra interesting. And now to my questions:
  1. Would you say that the K-30 is above/below or average when it comes to production photos?
  2. Is it possible to connect ("tether"?) it to a computer so that I can see each photo on the computer screen right after I take it? Some cameras, like the Canon Digital Rebels, is supposed to have this option, but I have yet to find any info about it when it comes to the Pentax cameras.
  3. Any other thoughts about the K-30 and the suitability for my needs?

03-02-2013, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome - Všlkommen!

There is an after market tethering software available for Pentax - it's shareware so you can download it and use it and then decide to support the programmer.
PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras
03-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I think the K-30's sensor will be great for product photography. Just get a lens like the 50mm macro and some lighting. There are also a lot of product photography setup tutorials online and in threads around here
03-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The PK_Tether website says not to use it with film or LiveView mode as it can lock up the camera and/or software.

Tips | PK_Tether

03-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

For product photography, the lens(es) and accessory(ies) may be more important than the camera body IMO. The K30 will do well in any case IMHO.

You might be able to go with the DA18-55mm, with a tripod and bounce flash.

If you need better IQ, you may consider some better lens(es).

My 5 cents
03-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter

FYI, PK_Tether does not support the K-30

QuoteQuote:
New version 0.7.0
Posted on December 6, 2012 by Tomasz
I released new version of PK_Tether – changes in this version:
- added support of new models K5II and K5IIs – K30 isn’t supported – probably Pentax made big change in camera firmware and PK_Tether isn’t able to communicate with camera
03-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for your answers!

Regarding the tether-software, the front page says that it doesn't support K-30. The replies to the December 2012 post (regarding upgrade to v. 0.7.0.) contains reports that it works with K-30's sporting the latest firmwares. Anybody here that has actual experience with it?
03-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
For product photography, the lens(es) and accessory(ies) may be more important than the camera body IMO. The K30 will do well in any case IMHO.

You might be able to go with the DA18-55mm, with a tripod and bounce flash.

If you need better IQ, you may consider some better lens(es).

My 5 cents
Thanks! Any suggestions on suitable lenses?

03-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by _Bergman_ Quote
Thanks everybody for your answers!

Regarding the tether-software, the front page says that it doesn't support K-30. The replies to the December 2012 post (regarding upgrade to v. 0.7.0.) contains reports that it works with K-30's sporting the latest firmwares. Anybody here that has actual experience with it?
You know what, I just gave it a shot and it does work! Haven't played much but I can confirm that it was showing me changes I was making on the camera and focal length changes of the zoom lens. It also allowed me to activate the shutter via the app. I will play with it a little more.

Edit: After playing a little more, it does work to some extents but it seems to lock the shutter speeds and aperture settings which makes it kind of pointless.

Last edited by colonel00; 03-02-2013 at 10:23 AM.
03-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
hcc
Pentaxian

Thanks! Any suggestions on suitable lenses?
I suggest to start using your 18-55mm. See the focal length(s) that you use most. (The info is in the EXIF data of each photograph.) It may help you to acknowledge your favorite focal length (for me, it is between 30 & 55 mm).

I like to work with the FA31mm. An expensive lens with oustanding IQ. It is also a fast lens (f1.8) which is a plus when working in low light.

I could suggest to consider also the 35mm f2.8 Macro, if you need to use a macro. But I prefer myself to use a longer focal length (90-100mm) fro macro myself.

My 5 cents.

Last edited by hcc; 03-02-2013 at 08:26 PM.
03-03-2013, 04:12 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
You know what, I just gave it a shot and it does work! Haven't played much but I can confirm that it was showing me changes I was making on the camera and focal length changes of the zoom lens. It also allowed me to activate the shutter via the app. I will play with it a little more.

Edit: After playing a little more, it does work to some extents but it seems to lock the shutter speeds and aperture settings which makes it kind of pointless.
Thanks for the info, glad to hear that it works to some extent! Then I guess one can hope for better support in a future upgrade When you shoot, how long does it take for the picture to appear on the screen, and does it get there automatically? Or do you have to press any extra buttons to get the new pictured "exported" to the computer screen?
03-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I suggest to start using your 18-55mm. See the focal length(s) that you use most. (The info is in the EXIF data of each photograph.) It may help you to acknowledge your favorite focal length (for me, it is between 30 & 55 mm).

I like to work with the FA31mm. An expensive lens with oustanding IQ. It is also a fast lens (f1.8) which is a plus when working in low light.

I could suggest to consider also the 35mm f2.8 Macro, if you need to use a macro. But I prefer myself to use a longer focal length (90-100mm) fro macro myself.

My 5 cents.
Thanks, didn't think about the EXIF data, great tip =D Also thanks for the lens suggestions, I'm a total newbie so those recommendations is a helpful place to start from when I start google-navigating the lens jungle =)
03-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info, glad to hear that it works to some extent! Then I guess one can hope for better support in a future upgrade When you shoot, how long does it take for the picture to appear on the screen, and does it get there automatically? Or do you have to press any extra buttons to get the new pictured "exported" to the computer screen?
It shows up instantly just like it would on the LCD of the camera after a shot. Essentially PK_Tether is taking over the screen on the camera and displaying that info/image on the computer. Playing around with it a little more it might work for you. Basically you would need to get the camera setup to all the settings that you wanted and then connect it to the computer. As long as you didn't need to change anything, it would work for a quick review on the computer. Hopefully the developer will make some improvements as far as functionality.
03-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Also, if you buy it now, the 18-55 kit is actually cheaper than the body alone most places... May as well get the kit!!
03-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
It shows up instantly just like it would on the LCD of the camera after a shot. Essentially PK_Tether is taking over the screen on the camera and displaying that info/image on the computer. Playing around with it a little more it might work for you. Basically you would need to get the camera setup to all the settings that you wanted and then connect it to the computer. As long as you didn't need to change anything, it would work for a quick review on the computer. Hopefully the developer will make some improvements as far as functionality.
Once again, thanks =) Is it possible to alter the settings on the camera while I have it tethered to the computer? Or would I have to do like this:

setup everything on the camera -> connect it to the computer -> shoot and review on computer -> disconnect -> change settings on camera ->
connect to computer -> repeat?