Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax to iPad connectivity

Is there anybody here that has any experience of using an iPad to review pictures right after they are taken? Like tethering, but without the need to remote control the camera. I'm mostly thinking about the K-30, but experience with other Pentax models is also of interest.

There is a blog about a photographer working a lot through his iPad. (Digital Chemicals...: Camera to iPad - Transferring My Images...) He however seems to mostly batch transfer his pictures, and I'm thinking about reviewing each picture on the iPad immediately after its taken.

(To the moderator: This post share some similarities with my other thread about product photography and live view / tethering to a computer. Since this question is more about iPad's and less about production photography I made a new thread. Please merge it with my other thread if you don't agree =)

03-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It can be done with an Eye-Fi card.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eye-fi/id306011124?mt=8

onOne's DSLR Camera Remote only works with Canikon. Pentax has never provided an SDK for tethering...
03-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It can be done with an Eye-Fi card.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eye-fi/id306011124?mt=8

onOne's DSLR Camera Remote only works with Canikon. Pentax has never provided an SDK for tethering...
Have you tried the Eye-Fi? And if so, did it work well or was it a lot of hassle like waiting for the picture to transfer and so on?

Regarding SDK, wonder why.. It almost seems like Pentax has something against the concept of tethering =S

Last edited by _Bergman_; 03-06-2013 at 09:24 AM.
03-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by _Bergman_ Quote
Have you tried the Eue-Fi? And if so, did it work well or was it a lot of hassle like waiting for the picture to transfer and so on?

Regarding SDK, wonder why.. It almost seems like Pentax has something against the concept of tethering =S
I have an Eye-Fi. It works pretty well for me. I have't used it with my K-30 yet (Just got it yesterday) but it worked quite well with my K20D. It *apparently* is supposed to work better for the K-30 than the K20D.

The transfer takes a bit, but not too terrible. It's not live view by any stretch of the imagination but definitely a quicker and better review than you will ever get out of the 3" screen.

03-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/215616-pentax-give...ight=tethering
03-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Petition signed
03-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I have an Eye-Fi. It works pretty well for me. I have't used it with my K-30 yet (Just got it yesterday) but it worked quite well with my K20D. It *apparently* is supposed to work better for the K-30 than the K20D.

The transfer takes a bit, but not too terrible. It's not live view by any stretch of the imagination but definitely a quicker and better review than you will ever get out of the 3" screen.
Thanks for sharing =) Then it sounds like something I should check out more seriously!

03-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, life is full of questions...

If you're shooting raw, does an iPad or other tablet have the capability of working with RAW files, or does this limit you to jpeg?
03-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

If you're shooting raw, does an iPad or other tablet have the capability of working with RAW files, or does this limit you to jpeg?
Nope it is Jpeg only. I have an eye-fi card - it is a good solution for jpeg only shooting, but if you regularly shoot raw+jpeg the card would fill much too quickly (not to mention raw file transfer takes a lot longer due to file size). I used to use it in my olympus e-pm1 which was my go-everywhere camera, now I use it in the 2nd slot of my d600, writing raw to a 64gb card and jpeg to the eye-fi pro x2.

A lot of newer cameras have the ability to detect (or setup so the camera knows) that an eye-fi card is being used. From my use this seems to get the card to broadcast its signal and be detected faster than on cameras that don't have the card detection. the e-pm1 and d600 both have eye-fi compatibility programming like this, not sure if the k-30 does? (edit: it does not have eye-fi features) The difference I found is that the app I use (android version) will start itself, vs with a non-eyefi camera I would have to start the app myself. If you're shooting randomly it can take awhile if it loses the card connection like that often.

Speed is decent, d600 files are under 15 seconds transfer, usually 6-8 if the app is running and connection going - to my android phone (they are more than 20mb files usually). I have it setup then to transfer to my PC via wifi only, so that it only does it when I'm home. In between using the card, when connected to 3g my phone will also upload a downsized copy to a private folder in picasa (it will create a new named monthly private folder on picasa each month as well - actually you can set it up to create new folders daily, or however else you might like).
03-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

I think the RAW limitation is actually based on which Eye-Fi you get. I transfer jpegs and use my iPad as more or less a way to see how my pictures are coming out, what adjustments I should make on next shots, etc. It's also really nice to be able to quickly show people "Here's what we got today!" without having to do any of the work yourself. You just setup the card once and it's ready to rock.

I you shoot a lot of RAW or RAW+ I suggest getting a bigger card, if you shoot nothing but JPEG, the smallest one should do. It uploads everything to the iPad, then keeps enough space on the card to make sure you can keep shooting (You set the amount of space you keep available on the card based on percentage) and the iPad then uploads it to their cloud service. So you instantly have a backup, too.
03-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think the RAW limitation is actually based on which Eye-Fi you get. I transfer jpegs and use my iPad as more or less a way to see how my pictures are coming out, what adjustments I should make on next shots, etc. It's also really nice to be able to quickly show people "Here's what we got today!" without having to do any of the work yourself. You just setup the card once and it's ready to rock.

I you shoot a lot of RAW or RAW+ I suggest getting a bigger card, if you shoot nothing but JPEG, the smallest one should do. It uploads everything to the iPad, then keeps enough space on the card to make sure you can keep shooting (You set the amount of space you keep available on the card based on percentage) and the iPad then uploads it to their cloud service. So you instantly have a backup, too.
I think Norm was asking about the ability to edit/view RAW on the tablet or ipad, but you are still right that RAW transfer is limited to certain eye-fi cards as well.

One other thing to note about the eye-fi card - they upload to their own servers if you go between devices. Whether you use their online hosting pages or not, I have noticed that my eye-fi android app will transfer files via wifi to the cloud, and download to my PC later when I actually turn it on - it doesn't require my PC to be on to start uploading. Some people might not like the idea of their own photos leaving their possession to the eye-fi servers without their permission.
03-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I think Norm was asking about the ability to edit/view RAW on the tablet or ipad, but you are still right that RAW transfer is limited to certain eye-fi cards as well.

One other thing to note about the eye-fi card - they upload to their own servers if you go between devices. Whether you use their online hosting pages or not, I have noticed that my eye-fi android app will transfer files via wifi to the cloud, and download to my PC later when I actually turn it on - it doesn't require my PC to be on to start uploading. Some people might not like the idea of their own photos leaving their possession to the eye-fi servers without their permission.
Pretty sure you can disable this feature, no?
03-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Pretty sure you can disable this feature, no?
You might be right, there is certainly quite a lot of customization options with the eye-fi card. I know you can opt out of using their actual gallery services, but I'm not sure about the latent/cloud transfer part of it all. Perhaps it does it this way because I use it to transfer to picasa as well. It doesn't bother me either way personally, but some might take issue! If you actually disable the indirect transfer through their cloud servers I haven't noticed it so far.
03-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I recommend a PQI Air card. Turns any Micro SD card into a WiFi SD card.

Haven't tried it on IOS, but works great on Android.

PQI Air Card - PQI Group

03-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #15

I received the transcend wifi today and I can compare it to the eyefi pro x2. I had the x2 but returned it, it was a class 6, it was a slow card and I had to lock the picture to transfer it to my phone without using the slow server. The transcend is class 10 and it uses an app on iPhone ipad with preview. You can download whichever picture you want from it through the app, no locking pictures on the camera. Raw can be downloaded but not viewed.
It's 60$ on newegg for. 32gb, I recommend it.