Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #1

Pentax K30 Shutter Question

Hi Everybody,

I am a new owner of a new pentax k30 and have to say I am impressed except one thing.

Why does the shutter flip twice (3 times if you count when it closes the viewfinder again) when taking pictures in live viewer? Can you turn this off at all? Does the K-5 or K-5II do this?

I didn't even check for this when I was in the shop (my fault) as I have never seen another camera do this but I have to say it bothers me.

Thanks for you help

03-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is perfectly normal for a Pentax camera. Even the K-5 does it, though you don't notice as much because it is so quiet.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forums.
03-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply! Do you know why it does that and is there some sort of advantage? Like I said, I've only seen this on this camera and it seems like it could be a hassle when using live viewer (even if I won't be using it that much).
03-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Basically, during live view, the mirror is raised and the shutter is open. When taking a picture, the shutter closes, then the mirror goes back down. Now a normal picture is taken, and live view is activated again.

03-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #5

i think it is annoying too. The mirror shouldnt even have to come down to take the picture. The shutter should just close, open/close to take picture, then open again for live view. This is how the K-01 does it, so I dont know why there cant be a mirror lockup during live-view for the k30. I have a feeling that pentax is probably using the same mechanism in the k30 from previous cameras, so they didnt bother to design a better system.
03-06-2013, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #6

Since the K-01 doesn't have a mirror it's a bit difficult for her to move it
03-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone! Either way, it's an awesome camera and I am really looking forward to learning how to use it!
03-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you guys sure the mirror moves? I thought it was just the shutter closing, opening, closing, then opening again.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yep, try it.
03-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you guys sure the mirror moves? I thought it was just the shutter closing, opening, closing, then opening again.
It's far more noticeable with the K-30 since the mirror is so aggressive.
03-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You must have a K5, because the K5 when in live view does not bring down the mirror to take a photo, it only open and closes the shutter like you mentioned

The k30, and alot of previous models like k-x, and k-r do bring the mirror down. The k5 is probably able to avoid this due to a different, more advanced shutter/mirror mechanism. Which kinda explains why it is much quieter and sounds different than the familiar Kx, Kr, K30 clunky sounds of the mirrors/shutters.

The more advance K5 mirror/shutter system could also explain why K5's are so prone to mirror flopping problems, while the other K cameras are not.
03-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I'm not sure, but I suspect in Live View, the shutter closes, the mirror drops to use the exposure meter which is in the pentamirror housing, the mirror flips up and the shutter opens for the duration of the calculated exposure, closes, the mirror drops as part of the normal exposure process, then flips back up and the shutter opens to resume Live View.