Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 03:41 PM - 5 Likes   #1

The trials and tribulations of a new K30 owner.

Ok, things haven’t gone exactly to plan in my modest transition from disposable camera aficionado to fully fledged DSLR professional. Here's what's happened so far...
Saturday 09:38 am. Large package arrives by Royal Mail, surprisingly undamaged! Brilliant I couldn’t be happier. My almost ten hours of anxious waiting are over, and as an added bonus everything I’ve ordered has been delivered as well.
Saturday 10:02 am. Everything opened, and I'm surrounded by a concoction of lenses, filters, camera and tripod and wholly pleased with myself until I hit my first obstacle, delicately pointed out by my wife. Yes, that’s right I've nothing to keep it all in! My initial thoughts, due to the quantity of items, was a wheelbarrow, after all they're useful at carting things about. However this would prove to be impractical once the V8 engine was fitted, as its load space would be severely diminished and the other option, a plastic carrier bag, seemed a little too fragile. It seems then that I needed some kind of purpose built carrying implement. A quick call to a local camera dealer confirmed I was correct and they did indeed have said purpose built carrying implement, namely a backpack.
Saturday 11:55 am. After a quick trip to my local camera dealer (42 mile round trip) and lighter in pocket to the tune of £94, I'm ready to finally get to grips with my new dslr. But first the tripod needs assembling, and armed with an allen key the King of flat pack has arrived, thanks love, (She's a real gem you know!) leaving me with far more important tasks of making sure the battery is still charging and page 1 of the K30 owner’s manual.
Saturday 12:17 pm. I haven't fully got to grips with all the features and menus of the K30 yet, however I aim to be proficient by at least 1:30 pm at the latest. Which year however, is still open to speculation.
Saturday 1:08 pm. Good news! The battery is fully charged and inserted, memory card fitted, lens attached and everything packed safely away. Now I’m off to do my first bit of serious dslring and the whole weekend to do it in.
Saturday 1:11pm. Bad news! My mother in law has been on the phone and apparently her husband has taken it upon himself to throw himself down the last three stairs and may have broken his ankle. Please help! What am I supposed to do? I’m an E.H.O. not a Vet! And anyway I’ve got a brand new camera to play with!
Saturday 4:26pm. Casualty packed as usual and to top it all the daft old fool has indeed broken his ankle and to make matters worse, my wife is due at work at six this evening. Not only that, my Mother in law doesn’t drive, and I’ve got a new occupation. Chauffeur and general dogsbody.
Sunday. Time unknown. Haven’t yet taken one photo of a stunning vista or anything else for that matter, although I have delivered my Mother in law to church safely, walked their dog and returned it unscathed, provided coffee and newspapers for the invalid and spoken to my wife who is now in Singapore. Thankfully it’s raining there, which lessens my misery a bit.
Sunday. Evening time. Pentax K30 now gathering dust and I am now considering placing an advert in the classifieds. No mileage dslr and accessories. One owner from new.
Summary. Weekend a total washout and my new hobby seems to be on permanent hold.
Monday. Time, at a standstill. The only good thing that has happened today is that I have managed to secure tomorrow afternoon off, and I’m not telling anyone! Maybe, just maybe, the Gods will favour me and allow me to press the shutter release.
Tuesday. Pm. Exact location unknown. Somewhere in north Yorkshire. Joy of joy the weather is good and as a new fully fledged amature professional in all things dslr, I’m having a ball. First impressions seem quite good, although I’m not sure whether it’s the camera or me and have decided to veer towards the latter. In fact I’m wholly pleased with my first result as can be seen hopefully below.
My fist attempt. Impressive yes?
My second attempt lacks the same impact and is merely average.
Well, thanks for sympathising and speak to you all soon.
M.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
03-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Forum Member

I know the feeling, you get that new camera and all you want to do is be left alone to play with it! It's like a kid with a Christmas toy!
03-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great / terrible story! The Study in Black is impressive (for some reason, it reminds me of a series I did in my film days, "Two Shoes and a Dangling Camera Strap: the First Frame of Every Blasted Roll"), but the second shot is quite lovely.
03-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Forum Member

I did a portrait shoot where I setup the first shot and then... hey I should probably take this lens cap off

03-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would have been funny story if I hadn't had the same sort of luck when I received mt K-30. Your first one must be very popular. I would bet most photographers have the same shot
03-07-2013, 04:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Great / terrible story! The Study in Black is impressive (for some reason, it reminds me of a series I did in my film days, "Two Shoes and a Dangling Camera Strap: the First Frame of Every Blasted Roll"), but the second shot is quite lovely.
Thankyou, that's most kind as I'd never really thought of naming my first ever shot. Can't say I'll be breaking a bottle of Champagne over it though.
As for the others God only knows how i managed them, beginners luck?
03-07-2013, 04:20 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Would have been funny story if I hadn't had the same sort of luck when I received mt K-30. Your first one must be very popular. I would bet most photographers have the same shot
True, but apparantly mine was good enough to be named.

03-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad it all went uneventfully! Now take it to Headingley this coming summer and capture some good cricket (as played by the blokes in the baggy green caps).

Nice waterfall btw.
03-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Glad it all went uneventfully! Now take it to Headingley this coming summer and capture some good cricket (as played by the blokes in the baggy green caps).

Nice waterfall btw.
Sorry Southlander, a Red Rose is etched on my soul.
03-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Terrific writing, I enjoyed reading your tribulations! Keep the pictures coming!
03-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Forum Member

Enjoyable read.........you have a knack.

Nice 2nd shot!

You are going to love your K-30!
03-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks bdery and Uncle Red. Will try and post some more soon as I have been unable to get a single shot in my new wildlife catagory.....
Namely a few photo's of my inlaws mildly domesticated dog.
03-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I withdraw my earlier cricket comment following the latest ridiculous goings on with the Aussie Test team in India Oh, lordy!
03-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Congratulations on your first DSLR shoot. Composition, lighting, attention to detail, DOF and focus show incredible promise. Oh, and the waterfall picture is also outstanding. I have more than my share of "Studies in Blackness" shots, and the wife and I are now specializing in "The Bird That WAS There". Compositions based on the splash of diving waterfowl seem to be most prevalent. As a side note, why did you get stuck as chauffeur? As I understand it, the d.o.f. only broke ONE ankle. Surely even a manual could be managed with one working leg!
P.S. I second bdery's comments. Please shoot (and write!) more ... and share. I am seriously envious of the waterfall shot.
03-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
I withdraw my earlier cricket comment following the latest ridiculous goings on with the Aussie Test team in India Oh, lordy!

Having a fair chuckle over it here, we are!