Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #1

Pentax to tablet

Being new I'm sure this has been discussed.

But I have a android tablet and just got my new k30, and started thinking how awesome it would be to connect the 2, do they make a cable for that? I'm guessing I'll get a quick answer asking my question here. Thanks!

03-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Directly connect the camera? I haven't seen that. Many tablets will allow you to plug in your SD card and preview the jpeg images ... My Nexus 7 doesn't have a SD slot, but supports USB-OTG. With a US$3 cable adapter and a US$3 app, I can plug in almost any USB based storage device and preview jpeg files.
03-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah mine doesn't have a usb slot either.
03-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #4

The IPad's have a nifty little dongle that allows you to read (but not write) from either SD cards or USB sticks. My Asus pad has the same kind of dongle as well. The accessory keyboard for my Asus has a USB port where I can plug the camera in directly. If there are accessory keyboards for your tablet, you may have an extra slot or port on them.
Good luck

03-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by jimt Quote
The IPad's have a nifty little dongle that allows you to read (but not write) from either SD cards or USB sticks. My Asus pad has the same kind of dongle as well. The accessory keyboard for my Asus has a USB port where I can plug the camera in directly. If there are accessory keyboards for your tablet, you may have an extra slot or port on them.
Good luck
The 'dongle' you refer is USB-OTG ('on the go', I do not know how they came up with that). Most tablets and smart phones allow you to plug into a computer's USB port, both for charging and for turning the mobile device into an external USB storage device. This is USB client mode. USB-OTG is a way to turn that connection on your mobile device in to USB host mode ... at least a limited version of USB host mode. Typically USB-OTG will support keyboards, mice, and storage devices formatted as FAT (like SD cards) and sometimes NTFS (USB hard drives). Most are restricted to a read-only mode.

Not all tablets or phones support USB-OTG, so check your documentation and/or visit a user forum for your mobile device before you waste money on a USB-OTG adapter.
03-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #6

I have a Toshiba tablet and it has a full size SD slot which is fantastic and allows for card reading and transfers back to the card. I use it to view photos on trips and as a backup device. I would not want to do without it.
03-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Primes4ever Quote
I have a Toshiba tablet and it has a full size SD slot which is fantastic and allows for card reading and transfers back to the card. I use it to view photos on trips and as a backup device. I would not want to do without it.
Me too - the toshiba thrive is hands-down the most travel photography friendly tablet out there. full size usb, full size sdhc slot make it super easy to archive to a hard drive while traveling.

To the OP - what is the model of your tablet? Some do have USB on the go (otg) adapters available. Otherwise, your best option is an eye-fi or other wifi enabled sdhc card (there are several out there now). Does your table have a microsd slot? If yes you could pick up a large card for storage, otherwise you'll be limited to what is already on-board the tablet.

03-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
I have a Kindle fire, but it's rooted and I run android on it.

I would have just tried it but the cable that came with I'd have to get some kind of adapter for it to plug into the tablet.

Guess I'll find a adapter and see how much those are
03-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another way - I too have the Toshiba Thrive but find myself wanting to see each shot on the big screen as I test or play with filters. Using an Eye-Fi card and free Android app each pic gets sent directly to tablet display as they get snapped. Not as fast as cable but it works.
03-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #10

Original Poster
Adaptor was 1.56 shipped. Post back later
03-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OP, I just picked up a Kindle Fire as well to play with so I will let you know what I find out. It was a good deal ($70) so I figured I would see what I could do with it. The other table in the house is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 which is huge and I have a USB adapter/card reader for it that takes full size SD cards. On the Samsung I use RAWDriod app to view images and this allows me to shoot in Raw only to save a little space without having the jpegs there too. This works alright and it is fastest to just swap out SD cards.

I also have a Canon S95 P&S that I have a Eye-Fi card in. It works alright for jpegs but I have to wonder if it will struggle with Raw files.

On the KF, which rom did you install and does it support USB hosting?
03-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #12

Original Poster
Well I just rooted it, and I'm going to install CM10.

Not sure if it supports that. I'll find out!
03-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #13

I have samsung galaxy note 10.1 tablet and it support usb with otg. I try to connect my k5. It works great. I can see sdcard on k5 and transfer jpeg files to the tablet. But raw files not opened. So i need to android raw program.

GT-N8005 cihazımdan Tapatalk 2 ile gönderildi
03-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #14

Is there a way to use the tablet to preview images as you shoot? For example, could you connect the two so when you take a shot it comes up on the tablet? I saw some video on YouTube where someone was doing it, but he had to plug it into his iPad via a cable after each shot. It didn't come up automatically. I don't expect to use a tablet for full tethering, but wondering if it could just be used as almost a second monitor or larger display for preview.
03-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wafflehaus Quote
Is there a way to use the tablet to preview images as you shoot? For example, could you connect the two so when you take a shot it comes up on the tablet? I saw some video on YouTube where someone was doing it, but he had to plug it into his iPad via a cable after each shot. It didn't come up automatically. I don't expect to use a tablet for full tethering, but wondering if it could just be used as almost a second monitor or larger display for preview.
If Pentax ever releases a tethering SDK...

DSLR Camera Remote 1.4 - onOne Software