Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #1

K-30 Lens information in Aperture,iPhoto

When I shoot in JPEG or RAW with my K5, both iPhoto and Aperture will give me the full lens information. With my K30, I only get the lens information when I shoot in RAW. Any way to get it in JPEG as well?

03-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I don't have an answer, but you did just solve my mystery of seemingly random photos with "Unknown lens" in Lightroom. Those are ones I only shot as JPEG!
03-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you get lens information from a JPEG with ExifTool?

ExifTool by Phil Harvey
03-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Can you get lens information from a JPEG with ExifTool?

[ur://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/]ExifTool by Phil Harvey[/url]
As PhotoME couldn't read lens info from a K-30 jpg shot with Sigma 17-70 lens, I tried ExifTool in a DOS window and yes the full description of the lens is there near the bottom of the list. I'll have to look for a GUI for ExifTool as it's a bit fiddly to use as it is.

Edit:- ExifToolGUI works OK but you have to click on 'Modify>Exif:LensInfo from MakerNotes' for every image to get the full lens description to show. I'll look for a fix. By the way, be careful with ExifTool as it can edit the exif info. I've just noticed a cool thing, there's an entry called AFintegration time which does seem to be the time in milliseconds to reach an AF lock.

Edit:- I was wrong about PhotoME, it shows the full lens name but in feint text which is why I missed it.

Last edited by SteveB; 03-16-2013 at 03:11 AM.
03-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #5

I have the same problem: no Exif lens info when shooting jpeg. Kr always showed it but the K30 doesn't for some reason. Haven't found a solution yet (using iPhoto).
03-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
I was hoping there may have been an easy solution that I had missed. My Kr didn't give me the information when it was new, but after a year it did. It may be necessary to wait for Apple to do some magic, although I do have the latest versions of iPhoto and Aperture.
03-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #7

Hopefully the same will happen. Fingers crossed!

03-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kingston 1000 Quote
I was hoping there may have been an easy solution that I had missed. My Kr didn't give me the information when it was new, but after a year it did. It may be necessary to wait for Apple to do some magic, although I do have the latest versions of iPhoto and Aperture.
According to one of the posts above, the info isn't showing up in Lightroom either so it seems to be a Pentax issue to fix, not an Apple issue.
03-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
According to one of the posts above, the info isn't showing up in Lightroom either so it seems to be a Pentax issue to fix, not an Apple issue.
It's an EXIF issue. Apple and Adobe don't update their EXIF libraries all that often...