Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OVF cover for K-30?

Does a viewfinder cover come with the K-30? If it does, I must have lost it. If it doesn't, does anyone have a recommendation? I'd like to get one for use with long-exposure shots.

Thanks,

03-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No it does not. There is one available from Pentax, however, but you may have to get it directly from their "parts department".

The K-5 does include it, FWIW.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

If in the US the Pentax Store website sells them. You'd probably be better off buying used from B&H or Adorama if they have them in stock. Try eBay too.

PentaxWebstore.com:Eyepiece Blind M Eyepiece Blind M
03-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A piece of black phototape does that and much more. Just stick it on the body or lens so it is available.

03-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Does a viewfinder cover come with the K-30? If it does, I must have lost it. If it doesn't, does anyone have a recommendation? I'd like to get one for use with long-exposure shots.

Thanks,
Actually, the answer is Yes it SHOULD. Check the Pentax USA site, it's listed in the "in the box" section, but for some reason they're NOT "in the box". While you're there, just e-mail them about it and they should send you one free, or contact your seller to get you one. I had this problem when I got my K30, and was told after much wrangling back and forth with the seller that it indeed comes with a viewfinder cap ( they did get one sent to me from Pentax). Penax's term is "Finder Cap for ME".
03-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I got a viewfinder blind way back when with my Super Program. I used it whenever my eye wasn't at the viewfinder. When I purchased my K-r, read in the manual that the viewfinder blind was recommended. It is the same little piece of injection molded plastic that likely cost only a few pennies to make. After 30+ years, I'm sure Pentax has recovered its engineering costs. I looked everywhere in the box, sure that I had somehow misplaced this small part. Nope. Pentax deliberately did not include it.

Then I started looking for one only to find out that the least expensive replacement part was probably going to cost me a 1,000 times the manufacturing cost. I complained to Pentax USA and they sent me one free of charge.

For what it is worth to you, I have drilled two small holes in my viewfinder blinds and sewed them to the left inside of the camera strap like a button. When I want to use it, I just lift the strap and slide the blind over the viewfinder. I haven't lost this hugely overpriced bit of plastic in 30 years.
03-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Minolta's blind has a slot that you can pass the OEM webstrap through. And some of their later lens caps had clips on them so you snap them onto the strap or whatever.

I wish Pentax had a slot or holder for the flash shoe cover but if they are charging $10-15 for replacements I guess they want you to lose them.
03-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Minolta's blind has a slot that you can pass the OEM webstrap through. And some of their later lens caps had clips on them so you snap them onto the strap or whatever.

I wish Pentax had a slot or holder for the flash shoe cover but if they are charging $10-15 for replacements I guess they want you to lose them.
Yes, that price is ridiculous. However I would like to offer 3 observations:
  • The hot shoe cover is not necessary under any but an extreme situation to protect the hot shoe or camera. Even if you short the contacts, it will cause no harm to the camera.
  • I put my hot shoe cover in storage and replaced it with an inexpensive bubble level. It is useful for any shot that does not otherwise require the use of the hot shoe. And the level is easily and cheaply replaceable.
  • A number of 3rd party camera straps offer storage for extra SD cards. It would also work well for a hot shoe cover.

03-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote

Thanks,
I called Pentax customer support today and they are sending me a viewfinder cap. Very good folks to deal with!
01-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Umm... so, can you post a picture of what the heck you guys are talking about? I have no idea what this does or looks like.

Charles.
01-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you are in the USA ill send one for the price of shipping and I think it is 1.00
01-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Umm... so, can you post a picture of what the heck you guys are talking about? I have no idea what this does or looks like.

Charles.
Pentax Viewfinder Blind

Ricoh charges a ridiculous US$9.95 for $0.05 worth of plastic. I drilled two small holes in mine and sewed it like a button to the inside of my camera strap. I haven't misplaced this gem (and it is a gem if you do tripod photography) in 30 years.
01-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Okay, that does nothing to explain what it is, or how it's used. Does that go over the eyepiece? How? is that a hinge? Without seeing it on a camera, I still have no clue what this is, or what it's used for.

Charles.
01-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter

that does nothing to explain what it is, or how it's used.
Well technically, that link states "designed for use during long exposures to prevent the entry of light into the viewfinder assembly and exposure assembly" so it does explain (somewhat poorly) what it is. One of the tradeoffs of an optical viewfinder is that light can go both directions, and additional light coming from the rear (through the viewfinder instead of the lens) can affect the exposure. Unless a very bright light is shining at the viewfinder, and there is nothing to block that light from reaching the viewfinder (like your head), the amount of additional incoming light is minimal, so it takes long exposures to make a difference. If you use a tripod for long exposures, you may need something other than your head to block the light. The OEM eyepiece blind has the advantage of being able to snap into place multiple times without losing its stickiness like a piece of opaque tape will. Personally, I have a hard enough time not losing lens caps, so even if I obtained the blind, I doubt it would remain in my possession very long. I can get another small piece of tape more readily than ordering Pentax Eyepiece Blind M online.
01-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Okay, that does nothing to explain what it is, or how it's used. Does that go over the eyepiece? How? is that a hinge? Without seeing it on a camera, I still have no clue what this is, or what it's used for.

Charles.
All the camera's since the Pentax M series have a consistent size optical view finder with rails on either side. The view finder blind slips down over these rails and blocks any light from entering the pentaprism (or pentamirror) from the view finder side. This is important because the light meter sensors are located above the reflex mirror and can be affected by light entering through the view finder. On newer cameras, Pentax often includes an eye cushion surrounding the view finder. Check your camera manual for the removal and replacement of this eye cushion. On the K-30, the cushion attaches to the same rails as the blind.